[1.5] RT Mods - expansion o'clock again (2024-04-20)

Started by Ratys, March 07, 2015, 05:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratys

Quote from: Canute on April 26, 2015, 05:17:11 AM
1. stockpile and relay both on normal. 1 sandstone + 1 limestone chunk get hauled to the stockpile.  Both chunks get teleported to the relay.
THEY ARN'T visible after the teleport, but you can click on them.
Crafter take out limestone chunk from the relay and craft stone, and bring back the stone blocks to the stockpile. Stone blocks get teleported to the relay. Curious they are visible.

I'm surprised it even tries to do anything with the chunks, I remember telling it not to. Or was that during initial developement back on A9, before I ported relay code to A10?.. Regardless, I'll look into display issue.

Stone block get teleport to the relay, but they don't stack up. Looks like the relay don't got a self-defrag feature.

Indeed, it doesn't. I decided to not add that for balance reasons: making relays smart but not THAT smart - the player should be the smart one and build accordingly.

Tryed to copy the settings from the Relay and paste it to the new stockpile, i don't get the option to paste. But i can copy and paste the settings from the other stockpile to the new one.

I'm not sure why that happens, I remember early tests for this going just fine; I'll look into this.

Relay should have the same or high priority then the warehouse.
Relay don't teleport things back to the warehouse.
Relay don't work as dropoff stockpile/container, but with a stockpile around you can compensate this.
You can build relay's next to each other.

Yes.
Yes and no (see below).
Yes, they don't and shouldn't; yes, it's meant to be handled by a stockpile (see below)
Yes, there are special checks to prevent looping teleports.

Build just small relay's next to the crafting bench and put a 1x1 stockpile before it with the same settings.

Close: the relay should only have the items you want drawn to it enabled, while the stockpile beside it should have just the items you want sent back to the warehouse.

For example, in the case you described the relay should be set to accept chunks, and the stockpile next to it should have stone bricks enabled (assuming the warehouse has both chunks and bricks enabled). Relay will transport chunks from warehouse onto itself, pawns will grab chunks from relay, turn them into bricks, put bricks on small stockpile beside the relay, relay then transports those bricks to the warehouse.

In general, having those small relay-side stockpiles set to same settings as the warehouse should work.

Zhadum

So far really liking this mod. But, a question. Not sure if I'm somehow doing something wrong, but after trying for a few hours, reading this thread and getting most every other item to work I still have problems making Raw devilstrand show up in my relay thingie.

At first I had issues getting Cotton to show up as well, but then all of a sudden that worked, but devilstrand I can't seem to make work.
A few textiles as well were problematic.
I'm guessing it might have to do with other mods, but since I got this from companion mod superior crafting it seems weird that it would be that.

Either way, I'm out of ideas here.
I've had over 500 raw devilstrand in the stockpile, had a warehouse there and pointed the relay there. I have not had only devilstrand there though. I also had for example cotton.. and cotton worked fine to teleport, but devilstrand is a no show.

Zhadum

I built and rebuilt both warehouses and relays several times.
The last thing you write.. I don't know what that means.

Telarin

I noticed a couple little things with the quantum stockpiles integrated into the SC mod. I'm not sure if these are related to the integration, or if they exist when using it with vanilla, but thought I would mention them here:

1) Quantum relays do not seem to work with items added by the SC mod. The relay will not push items to or pull items from a configured warehouse. This includes steel bars, plasteel bars, woven cloth of all types (though it works on raw cotton and devilstrand). They do work fine with at least wood logs, silver, steel ore, and plasteel ore. I haven't tested a lot of the other items yet, these are just the ones I have noticed so far.

2) When placed next to a crafting bench, the relays will steal items that are being used for crafting. I am not sure if this is something that is even avoidable, as I don't know if the items being used have any kind of "reserved for use" flag that could be checked or not. For the time being, I have moved my relays so they are at least one tile away from crafting benches to work around this issue.

3) It seems like when a relay pushes items back to a warehouse, it enforces the 4 stacks per tile rule, regardless of the upgrade level that has been researched. Once everything is stacked to 4 per tile, the relay quits pushing items back, even though I have researched all 3 levels of upgrades.

Telarin

After more testing, I am just more confused about what is going on with relays. Relays that are working fine one day, will not pull materials after the game is loaded the next day. And sometimes relays that were not working the day before will suddenly start working. There is something very bizarre going on here. Is there anything I can provide that would help you track it down? I can provide a save if needed, but as inconsistent as the behavior is, I'm not sure that would be very productive.

Ratys

Quote from: Telarin on May 06, 2015, 04:23:01 PM
I noticed a couple little things with the quantum stockpiles integrated into the SC mod. I'm not sure if these are related to the integration, or if they exist when using it with vanilla, but thought I would mention them here:

1) Quantum relays do not seem to work with items added by the SC mod. The relay will not push items to or pull items from a configured warehouse. This includes steel bars, plasteel bars, woven cloth of all types (though it works on raw cotton and devilstrand). They do work fine with at least wood logs, silver, steel ore, and plasteel ore. I haven't tested a lot of the other items yet, these are just the ones I have noticed so far.

2) When placed next to a crafting bench, the relays will steal items that are being used for crafting. I am not sure if this is something that is even avoidable, as I don't know if the items being used have any kind of "reserved for use" flag that could be checked or not. For the time being, I have moved my relays so they are at least one tile away from crafting benches to work around this issue.

3) It seems like when a relay pushes items back to a warehouse, it enforces the 4 stacks per tile rule, regardless of the upgrade level that has been researched. Once everything is stacked to 4 per tile, the relay quits pushing items back, even though I have researched all 3 levels of upgrades.

2 & 3 are news to me, and are an oversight strictly on my part, and are fixed for next update. I mean, half of the purpose of relays is to cut short walks to the main stockpile during crafting, why didn't I notice it being so horribly broken?.. Or the stack limit: I looked at the relevant bit and was surprised it works at all - the relay checks against it's own storage stack limit value, which it shouldn't have anyway because it's not a quantum stockpile at all. Fun times.

Quote from: Telarin on May 08, 2015, 09:48:44 AM
There is something very bizarre going on here. Is there anything I can provide that would help you track it down?

Bizarre indeed. This is likely the same problem that has been center of discussion lately - it still eludes me after about a week of on & off hunting, with me being unable to as much as reproduce it. However, your note 1 in previous post gave me an idea. I would indeed like your save, please, and a list of mods the save runs - it would provide the best testing environment.

And, thank you all who posted lately. I might not reply, but that doesn't mean I don't read, and some of the info you gave me is very helpful in finally fixing the relays.

Telarin

I'll get you a save uploaded as soon as I get a chance, but in the mean time, I have noticed something. It isn't 100% consistent, but it seems like quantum warehouses that are close to capacity have the most trouble delivering goods to relays. I have noticed that as I start cleaning out these packed stockpiles, suddenly the relays connected to them will start receiving items again. I'll try to upload a save tonight for you if I have a chance.

Flaxarn

Getting this error loading into game

Any idea whats wrong?
Also read you posts about relays and last game when i build and tried a massive quantum storage and relay functions so i could have locked storage rooms, all workbenches with 2-3 relays just tto puch and pull right resources.
ALL relays had under some points errors in their drawing and pulling with not finding right BUT they all worked at some point as indtended, could sometimes be fixed by toggle power or "soft reset" with chaning what resource to pull. what i figured is it has something with specific resource that bugs out as it not helps with a new relay for that resource sometims.
It seems to be greater as bigger the stockpiles get, my freezer was 2 quantum stockpiles for meals and got up to 16 quantum stockpile for raw food.
Also had problems with relays take the material from the person working. most often the chef was working on something and it was drawn back to stockpile and rearanged like in a loop.
The more stockpiles i got i noticed more and more memory draw on my computer, had to reload game severals times do to stutter effect.
Even got blue screen 1 time :P
Love this idea but think you have a memory leak?
hope this help for further investigation.

BMS

Quote from: Flaxarn on June 04, 2015, 09:35:23 AM
Any idea whats wrong?

hope this help for further investigation.

At least your trying to help, but have you tried putting that many items on the ground?  I think you would find just as big a "memory leak" with no RT mod.  And for the error the etype def has been removed for A10

Quote from: skullywag on March 27, 2015, 08:28:44 AM
Might as well start this as ive updated all my mods but only found 1 major change to hediffs.
... <removed>
Some other minor bits:

Etypes have been removed so remove them from all your defs. You may need a new category as some of these have changed for example I used to use ethereal for anything droppod related (meteors and razorrain for example) i now use "skyfaller".

... <removed>
Thats all ive hit so far.
Shackleberry: Would be useful if there was an XSD (XML Schema Definition) for each of the XML files, would make validating XML between version far easier.

Flaxarn

Only times my computer have started lagging so far is when the warehouse try to rearange infinte? like when the relays starts taking material from the chef :P only solution i got to that was to space out relays around workareas. i know this is extreme case senarios but noticed this problems even in smaller stockpiles, build them overlarge  just to see the problems more extensive so i could conclude and exclude problems in the materials or in the handlings.
Cant say if my conclusions is right but i will try out some more :)

Ratys

Getting this error loading into game
- image snip -
Any idea whats wrong?

Yes, BMS refers to the right thing: there's no more eType field; I didn't catch it when updating to current alpha. It shouldn't affect your game, because RimWorld is smart enough to ignore stuff it can't parse.

The more stockpiles i got i noticed more and more memory draw on my computer, had to reload game severals times do to stutter effect.
Even got blue screen 1 time :P

You getting BSOD has nothing to do with RimWorld at all - it's either your OS or hardware, or both. Simple programs shouldn't ever result in one, unless they're doing something at system level - which a game, let alone a mod, shouldn't and in most cases can't do.

As for memory leak... Don't think it's caused explicitly by something of mine. There aren't many variables per se, and pointers are let go of normally, so C#'s garbage collection should do it's thing and free up any memory reserved by my code.

And yeah, still can't reproduce a single failure. Relays just keep on working no matter what I do, provided I set them up correctly. If a relay works it will continue on working, no weird issues whatsoever.

Flaxarn

you might be right, will continue some more reserach in another game when i have time but i dont make the behaviour up ;)
In a locked (and open ) stockpile enviroment the relays could work and stop work as intended whit no more change than "soft resests" and other times nothing worked to get them working :\
Only time i got BSOD on this computer since i bought it if not counting   
when i oc the cpu when finding the stable point.

nmid

Quantum storage is one of the best MM-reducing mods ever and which let us get down to actually enjoying the game..
I came across this in the Overhaul Mod pack, then followed it back to the SCA thread and finally here.

Thank you so much for the concept and coding the mod.

Just a small observation, be careful when placing QS next to a production table. When making a complex recipe which uses 2 or more items, the QS has a high chance of sucking up the items before you can start work on the recipe.
The QS (Quantum Stockpiles) ideally shouldn't take things from the table space of production tables.

(The other MM reducing mods that I love? - Edb prepare carefully, Edb interface, PSI, AutoHuntBeacon, FastFloors .. and VeinMiner being an honorable mention).
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ

magei

I believe your Quantum Stockpiles do create alot of lag, Not all the time, I'll explain my test:

AMD FX 8350 - 4ghz 8 core with boost disabled
24gb DDR3 underclocked to 1336mhz
Nvidia GTX 550 Ti 1gb onboard memory but total video memory of 4gb (Can run GTA V with most stuff on high (Over the 1gb vram limit) with smooth 40+ fps) Primary card
Nvidia GT 630 2gb onboard memory as a dedicated physx card + backup card

24 mini 1x1 QS
16 2x2 QS
QS activity indicator off
Population - 29 Droids from MD2 and 4 colonists with no lag when all are doing work on speed 3
Power on - Frame rate hits the floor on speed 3, Some moderate lag on speed 2 and normal (no lag) at speed 1
Power off - No lag

Findings - Cpu usage was pretty much same through the test, No spikes when QS was on or off, GPU usage crashed to the floor when QS was on and on speed 3, Designating power off and watching GPU usage showed a gradual increase in usage as QS's were been turned off (Note I have a GTX 550Ti and 4gb available video ram and graphics settings set to 1080p and quality normal), System Ram and CPU aren't a problem, Using 1.85gb memory and 14-18% cpu, Bottoms out at 13-14% cpu when QS are on

Conclusion, Something that the Quantum Stockpiles do causes massive frame drops the faster the game goes except speed 1, Also causes cpu usage to drop (Unexpected as this should go up with more work load) on speed 3

Any way to optimize QS's as I really like the stacking ability but hate the lag as I always run on speed 3?

EDIT: Adding a Quantum Warehouse pretty much deletes the lag altogether!

nmid

Quote from: magei on June 07, 2015, 09:53:59 AM
EDIT: Adding a Quantum Warehouse pretty much deletes the lag altogether!

Thanks for that observation.

I play my games slow, so I still have to use more than 15 QS right now.
I haven't made a QS warehouse yet, even though I've researched everything in the QS tech tree..
I'll build a QS WH just to be safe ;)
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. StorymasterQ