How to make SUPERB RIMWORLD out of average rimworld

Started by Wujc, March 14, 2015, 12:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wujc

From the Author of average book - "Designing Games: A Guide to Engineering Experiences" comes average game with average recycled ideas.
Welcome to the RimWorld!
5/10 Totaly average indie magazine

Little prologue: I believe Tynan Sylvester is man with balls, so he can handle constructive criticism. Also i believe that guys in Ludeon Studios know the old truth, that "biggest hard-core fans are biggest assholes." And iam asshole of proportions they never met before! Also, feel free to take any idea i wrote, use it in game or your mod and call it your idea. I dont care about copyrights, intellectual Property or some other "moral" constructs. I dont want any refference or credit - i want better RimWorld

Its Alpha? Its version 9? I dont care! Nobody should! No pardons! Raw criticism here! Due to "progressive" forum type (Welcome to 20th century) i need to rewrite all again and again, so it wont look that good as it should. It will be very average - RimWorld average! So lets do this:

1) Research is stupid, useless skill. Scientist are useless. Whole conception is wrong. You make all research with skill 1 scientist in few days and you can harvest organs from him. Its alpha bla bla and there will be more like 8000 days research tree in average beta bla bla? Dont make it more AVERAGE PLEASE! IT MAKES ME SICK!
Solution: Add production chain to RESEARCH tree (Also rename it to SCIENCE). Make some RimChems (and/or RimTech) feature.

RimChems Tier 1 (RCh1) Extraction:
A) Boring average RimWorld way: Plant some special flowers and extract RimChems from them in some production table with use of SCIENCE (I wont call it RESEARCH anymore) skill.
B) Fun superb RimWorld way: Have some science VATS in laboratory where you have some sort of biological creature, that you need to feed with raw food or that nutrient paste to produce RCh1. Good way to get rid of all excessive food laying around. Also good way to have some fun(troubles) with angry biological mutant in your base!
RimChems Tier 1 (RCh1) Usage:
Training science skill: (Why? Soon you will know!)
Construction: Use chems when building walls to create walls with TERMO ISOLATION (Foam)! WOW! So you dont need to have 2 or more layers? SUCH FUTURE! They will slow down temperature exchange, BUT they will increase flammability! Finaly all walls wont have 0% flammability right? (If somebody writes, that wooden wall have 100% flammability i will find him and sodomize him! Iam hard-core fan remember? I know more than even authors of this game know! )
Food: Add some RimChems Tier 1 when you are cooking to enchance food. Food can now last longer before it spoils and also give slight (+2, who cares) mood bonus due to extra taste!
Research: You need chemicals to discover more effective batteries? Really? Wow, its like real life!
FERTILIZER: Are you sure that 50x50 growing zone for your Devilstrand, bunch of firefighters (You know, lightning and stuff), months of waiting and tons of work is worth of that 5 T-shirts? Are you sure? What if i told you, you can use your RCh1 as fertilizer. Smaller growing zone, same work and MOST IMPORTANT - FINALY YOUR GROWING SKILL HAVE REASON. Now its growing skill turned ON or OFF at character screen. No big deal with 1 or 20 skill, he do the work anyways. But with fertilizer, you can easily KILL the plant becouse you give too much of fertilizer and if your skill is extra-low, you can even contaminate soil. Some plants can become poisonous if they dont get right amount of fertilizer. Do you get it? Now Growing Skill have some meaning. I finaly understand those kids screaming YOLO and SWAG! Thanks to you Fertilizer!
Medical system change: Xerigium plant + RCh1 = Herbal Medicine. Whole "medical" system is so easy to survive, that i can harvest my left lung while i throwing spear on that boar with the other hand while chewing some xerigium stem! Thats not how fragile human body and tribal medicine works. Add some chems to process. Delay self-production of medicine (and medkits).Let them feel that INFECTIONS! LET THEM FEEL HOSTILITY OF THE NATURE! LET THEM SUFFER!!! LET THEM DIE!!! You cant even imagine, how much work it takes to kill some of my colonist, becouse there are medkits everywhere since "landing" and you can make medicine almost imediately. Many kids will cry, but you can give them "potato" difficulty option so they can jump safely on rainbow with ponnies!
Dependce and jeopardy: Food -> Vats -> RCh1 -> Fertilizer -> Food. Nothing can go wrong! Em i right? But, what if somethink happens? Somethink i cant predict or control? Of course it will. Thats how life goes in our colony! You should think of the back door! But you didnt. Now you need to make decision -> Will you feed your colonists or that beast inside your VAT? Think fast, becouse starving colonist can get angry. And they are not alone starving and angry...
Drugs: (If you have some scruples becouse of drug abuse/computer games stuff, call it NANOBOTS enchancers and not drugs. Feminist associations leaves you alone. But i doubt it since you have organs harvesting included)
Combat drugs - Make that farmers and miners shoot in right dirrection! Let people swallow that pill for extra move speed (good for melee and workers as well), etc...
Noncombat drugs - Antidepressants injection when you wandering around in daze? Why not! Are you sad, becouse you dont have time to clean up that blood? Antidepressants! Are you depressed, becouse you are addicted to Antidepressants? Take more Antidepressants! Let us be one big happy junkie colony!
Problem is, how to keep things simple. Colonists can have one universal drug package and mix right mixture right before use, or some future device can do it for them and be depleted (gone) after use. How bout this?
You can have drugs to sleep less, work faster... who cares...
Mostly people should not use drugs in large scale, becouse of side effects, addiction and health risk possiblities, but would those savages that besiege your colony think same? Will you care about side effects when legion of em approach your small untrained group? Doubt it!

RimChems Tier 2 (Rch2) Extraction: Mined in rare deposits as a untreated chemstone-> Due to bound with stone in which is found it needs to be processed in some machine (production table) operated by Scientist. There is trace amount of chems everywhere so there is possibility to process few stone chunks in order to make some Rch2. Possibility can increase with science skill. Or you can buy them from traders, who cares.
RimChems Tier 2 (Rch2) Usage:
Structures effectivity: I know that old-school solar panel we made shortly after "landing" is necessity, but why we have now 50 same old pannels on 200x200 field? Why we need area of 3 football stadiums and cave full of batteries to keep few turrets run in night? Becouse! Be quiet and eat from that AVERAGE alpha paste dispenser! Or improve what you already have with Rch2 (Or other materials, nobody cares). Effectivity is the most important thing and i wrote much more about it in different section (called Effectivity - thats how iam effective!).
Weapons: You need chems (or techs, what ever) to make composites for advanced weapons. Or make average plasma shotguns from steel. Your choice- It makes sense, that scientist are researching and design weapons. And dont forget to make bilion of nonsense upgrades! *God dammid i hate you for that research already! How can antimatter propulsion cost 2000 and gun turret cooling 1000? Are you trying to RAPE my gameplay? Do You? Jesus Christ Tynan, little kids can be playing this game! IT HURTS! I DONT WANT IT! PLEASE STOP!
Cyborg stuff: Advanced body parts need advanced technology (Rch2 or techs, what ever). I believe cyborg stuff become highly overpowered. Because thats what happend in average games. In average games its completely normal, that in future everybody wants to change legs, arms, eyes for much better, more effective robotic ones. Also they want some person or machine dig around in brain and give implants to it. But for the some strange reason, they mostly didnt done it before or they didnt have possibility to make Mark IV night vision implantate before.
I dont even have energy and motivation to write here WHY and HOW to make proper implantats and body parts. Becouse average kids want to boost their humans to make game easier. They want to have super human beings that will shoot off dozens of aliens and savages! And thats how this game ends. In the abyss of mediocrity. Or maybe not? Future will show us!
RimChems Tier 3 (Super duper space alien Chems) Extraction: Who cares... Maybe recycling of space aliens dead bodies or for enourmous price. It wont grow on trees for sure!
RimChems Tier 3 (Super duper space alien Chems) Usage:
Super duper late late late game stuff? Who cares, it makes year to implement basic stuff to Tier 2 right now, so nobody cares.

Appeal: I know there is not use for research right now (exept for delaying some in-game stuff use therefor enchance gameplay experience) and i know that even small kids can make mods these days, but PLEASE, PLEASEEEEEEE, PLEAAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEE, keep research simple. Dont add research for every single thing. Add some pictures, more text to research, make some general discoveries that unlocks more stuff at once, but please, dont make thousands nonsense research. Dont be AVERAGE. You dont need to! People here are possessioned by research complexity in mods. I need to research gunpowder weapons, energy weapons, advanced weapons -> addons for advanced energy weapons -> laser scope addon...
Or continue as you do. In Average path. Dont make pathetic "red light" "blue light" "green light" upgrade - make less stupid and more average "colored lights" upgrade. Since i crashed space ship and i hit my head very hard, i need to discover secrets of "Carpet making" Colonists will love it (exactly same as a wood floor DUH). Cant wait till i discover "colored Power Conduit" and "Different shape cowboy hat" with "Customized Ship casing." Average customization? Why not! But keep it out of research buddy! Also dont forget to make more cryptosleep casket variations! I know you need to have special casket for ship, but you dont need to have two nonsense upgrades! What comes next? Ancient casket research? You will burn in Average hell for this sir! You create feeling, that you dont know what are you doing. Are you just programing random stuff without using common sense, or you just dont care at all? Also what genius wrote that descriptions? Unacceptable! Your current research is so crazy right now, it can be used as 9/11 inside job proof! At least you have some dignity and i dint saw useless research with "NOT IMPLEMENTED YET" writings. (You see, its positive criticism now)

Positive fun fact: Did you know that average human being dies before reaching fiftieth birthday? Isnt that awesome!
2) Effectivity When more and more new happy colony members comes out of a prison, when more and more walls marks colony territory, when STEEL becomes most precious comodity, when people turns crazy becouse trip for nearest stone chunk took em half day, when some of your colonists never met each other,  then becomes moment you realise, how AVERAGE this game is. Colony becomes unefficent. I experienced this problem in so much games.
1) Agriculture and energy needs huge amount of space. If you dont have fertile soil, you need to use so much space on energy sources (also you need tons of steel, but with looooong time and luck on traders you can always buy some). Normaly, when i play on map with plenty of usable soil, it takes around 1000 cells per 10 stable colony members. Food production takes 200 cells for rich supply. 200 cells for trees. 100 cells for rich beer supply. And guess where is remaining 500 cells. DEVILSTRANDS! You can make few cotton crops and wrap everything you dreamed about in your favoured color carpet. You can plant one huge crop or make some small flowerpots of Xerigium and never think about medicine again. But you cant wear other than devilstrand clothing. Its too stylish and devilstrand have so good properties, its MUST HAVE and MUST STASH! I can forgive devilstrands, that they took 2 days to plant, 4 days to harverst, 1 day of extinguish. That makes exactly 1 week of 10 people work. I can forget all of above and pretend it didnt happend - thats how i love devilstrands. But i wont excuse fact that 2 of my citizens (from every 10 citizens) are potato slaves and they spend most of the time planting/harvesting/moving potatoes! They can take more potatoes at once, farmers can be bound to specific farming plot so they wont run half map across when you have fair 30 ppl base (suddenly, you need 1500 cells per 10 ppl due to unexpected losses and slowed down production) but this wont fix or erease the problem. Becouse we are still talking about realy nice, almost perfect place where we can live and farm in harmony with nature. But with every obstacle, problem grows. Less occupied cells with farmable soil = more steps need to take to get to another one. I dont like biomes with too much fertile soil, becouse it generaly means that there will be less mouintains i can mine. Less mouintains = steel. Less steel = less everything. Praise steel! The truth is, that when you play on places with few stone areas, steel/plasteel is everywhere. I believe maps are predefined with similiar amount of resources. Mountains = same amount of steel, but much harder to get it, since you need to mine through huge load of stones... But the point is, that not every biome is good for huge scale farming and there is not enought steel or place to cover power consuption for bigger colonies. Also its impossible to survive, becouse trip on other side of field takes half day (but i believe you make some kind of cybernetic legs upgrade, so they can run faster, or some teleport device to shortcut ripping potatoes from ground with hands - BEAR hands (chill out, i have nothing about manual labor and working with BEER hands, but teleports are too lazy and average solution. I can use teleport as some kind of realy expensive superstructure that can connect two distant places, but i wont accept it in game where you eat raw squirell meat one day and use teleport to havervest crops another). I even saw mod with conveyor belt - check out game called FACTORIO. You will see why you wont enter this path!).
SOLUTION AND TLDR VERSION: At start, there is few colonist, they need to survive. Next they expand. Next they bring more fellas to the team. Next they do more stuff. And after that, everything stops. World is now too big. Lets make existing things more effective.
Lets upgrade existing solar power plants and wind turbines with some mid/late game resources in order to make them more effective.
Let us have advanced hydroponic systems with multiple levels hydroponic basin! 5 levels on 1x4 hydroponic basin make huge difference. 4 plants or 20 plants? I know. It costs sooo much and need much advanced and strong sun lamp with enormous energy consuption, but it will be worth it! It will be "sustainable colony with my target 100 people" worth it! Some people can say "I dont need 100 ppl in colony." And i say "YOU CANT have them!" Do you see that difference in AVERAGE and ABOVE AVERAGE thinking? Question is not why; Question is WHY NOT? If you can make survival game, where you can make 2 persons survive and fly off to the space, or you can have huge 100ppl colony full of diferent tastes and persons and they dont kill each other, than you made masterpiece! Than you created GAMING STANDART and you will become John Romero for this generation! You wont create anything like that again, no matter how hard you try and you become hated by most people, but you are part of history and nobody can took that away! After that you can sell your game to microsoft for 2 Bilions and spend rest of your life as heroin addict. Very very rich heroin addict! Think about it Tynan! Dont you hate how poor you are nowadays? Think about jumping from cash pile to heroin pile! Amazing right?
Let us waste space on nice, warm, sexy, big flats for colonists, lets us have room that will serve as galery for all that still unusable sculptures, but dont FORCE us to have few colonist or ugly huge electric/farm plant. That is against OSN charter!
Appeal: This game (as any other average games) is mostly played by kids. Kids dont like negative surprises. Kids want sureness. Kids need sureness. Thats why there is so much MODS with new POWERPLANTS and ENERGY SOURCES. Kids have fear that SOMETHING turns off electricity and all that modded hyper powerfull turrets goes offline! They wont be so safe in their fortifications and colonists will urge to standup for themselves and fight! They will get hurt and will cry and load game till bad ugly electricity event wont happend! They just want to kill horde of zombies with overpowered cyborgs with modded HALO or WW2 weapons. Dont give that nuclear/thorium/fuse reactors to those kids please! They will mod them at anytime! Let the rest players have normal survival experience and let us prepare for power shortage! It will make us stronger! Through pain can we make sure that we are alive. Through casualties we can fully appreciate each persons part in whole colony eco-system! We deal with it!

Positive fun fact: Did you know that average human female lives five years longer compared to average male? Thats why males are considered to be smarter!

I will expand my critique further, now its like 0.2  alpha version. In your face developers!
There is still so much to be written! I will upgrade to version 0.3 in aprox 15 hours. You will find here, why is this game so awesome, why everything matters and how the Rimworld experience work, and why sometimes it dont.
Also some people here are sensitive or womanish so i added some happy, positive, kitten stuff at the end of every update!

User was warned for this and subsequent posts: Rule 1.

Lithare

You've clearly never heard the phrase "You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar."  I like some of the concepts.  Just very annoying that nearly every concept has to come with some sort of insult or degrading comment.  And that they get worse and worse as the post goes on.  I wouldn't call this a critique.  Mostly, it's a whiny, arrogant, self-promoting attack, filled with 4 lines of worth.

Thank you for inspiring me to create a profile.  The 4 things that you said that aren't bitter or snide are good ideas. 

cultist

Shinzy

Quote from: cultist on March 14, 2015, 04:19:56 PM
Troll or madman? You decide.

Neither, I think! He's a man with points to point out and poor way to share them!
and has a fetish for the word 'average'! And Iiii don't judge! the way it rolls off the tongue is orgasmic

Wujc

Quote from: Lithare on March 14, 2015, 02:13:10 PM
"You catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar."
I catch only bees, becouse flies can not defend. I maybe do not behave or act gentle. But i was offended! Tynan spit right into my face. He humbled me! How he did it you may ask... Seems like you didnt flight off the planet yet! You dont deserve my respect or trust yo i will spoil it:
NOTHING HAPPENS! NOTHING AT ALL! You wheere supposed to crash again and choose new (harder) landing area! I know all of my 20 colonist should not survive, becouse i still need challenges. Only 3 or maybe 4 (+1 survivor per spaship take off) survived. I was supposed to be able to choose which colonists survived another crash! I was their GOD!
Iam a very principled man and i never tell writers how should their story end. I can criticize anything, but i respect their decision how the story ends. Who dies, who live. Making game is like writing book. Most of them end up to be average (Tynan can confirm this). But this book have ugly diarrhea at last pages. And its ok, when you read book about excrements, but its defenetly not ok, when you read 400 very interesting pages. Even fact that most of pages are ripped off does not matter.
Replayability is the key how to not be ashamed for releasing alfa version. And even if i agree, that this game have best replayability i saw in many years (in same genre, indie performance, alpha version) i must say that this end was not fair! I liked my first crew so much! I even let alive one scientists! We created very strong bonds! I even gave them funy nicknames! Thanks to EdB Prepare Carefully i can make exact copies of them. Sadly i wont do such thing! I dont want them to live in world, where i need mod to keep em alive! That game ending was like cold shower! Thats realy all? I need to haste game making process and prevent any other ppl to experience same stuff i was forced to! Obviously Tynan does not know what he is doing and he is desperately awaiting my arrival, so i can tell him what to do! Fear not anymore my childrens! Iam here!

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Wujc

Quote from: skullywag on March 14, 2015, 08:04:56 PM
So hows your c#?
Iam quite happy with my c# skills. They are none. This question is relevant only if i ask you for job. I dont believe you guys can afford me and i didnt asked you. But i mastered different programming language so we can compare penis size anytime. Is that what you seek? Or maybe you want to imply fact, that programming process is very hard and slow and you will be totaly right. Are you trying to excuse all C programmers or just RimWorld associated? Do i have impossible demands? Are you trying to seduce me? Who knows... So many meanings can be hidden in your question! Maybe you are just predestined to be offtopic... who knows...

skullywag

I am grown adult im not gonna sit here and continue this conversation if youre just going to be...whatever it is youre being. If you are finding the game too hard or not complete enough for you I suggest you put it down and come back to it later when its more fleshed out and possibly not Alpha.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Boboid

Can't believe I took the time to read all that.
Moreover I can't believe you took the time to write it all and then didn't proof read it.

Chalking this one up to troll and movin' on.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Wujc

Quote from: skullywag on March 14, 2015, 09:01:20 PM
I am grown adult im not gonna sit here and continue this conversation if youre just going to be...whatever it is youre being. If you are finding the game too hard or not complete enough for you I suggest you put it down and come back to it later when its more fleshed out and possibly not Alpha.
Good for you! Accept my very gratulations for finishing you growing and entering adulthood. Now to the theme:
Game is not hard. Not at all. Actualy i find this game quite easy in most parts. You misinterpreted some things i wrote or you just didnt payed attention or read it. Maybe its caused by my limitations of keeping things simple. And yes, game is not complete enough for me. Is it for you? If so, you have very simple needs and i envy you. As i wrote before - i dont care its Alpha. I dont care at all. (We can have deep and academic debate about alpha versions in another topic. Feel free to PM me anytime.) I asure iam familiar with meaning of Alpha. Its mostly synonimum for lazyness, desperate need for money, pardon of inadequate capacity, or just inexperienced move. For some people Alpha means "others do it, ill do it too." In very rare cases Alpha means benefit to both sides. To players and to creators as well. Iam not autorized to judge, if Rimworld is that case. But the fact i spend so much time and energy to write here suggests, that i probably believe, that Rimworld is that rare case.
Also pardon me as a cause of discussion end between us. I probably breaking your condition "if youre just going to be...whatever it is youre being." and iam still just em...whatever iam being to be.

Wujc

Quote from: Boboid on March 14, 2015, 09:11:52 PM
Can't believe I took the time to read all that.
Moreover I can't believe you took the time to write it all and then didn't proof read it.

Chalking this one up to troll and movin' on.
Proofreading with nice pictures. Thats what divide trolls from common people!

Kegereneku

Am I on the Rimworld Forum or is that a Homestuck Troll roleplaying one ?

Jokes aside, the overall tones of this suggestionorder you made have been addressed. Myself I also didn't read all of it. For as boastful as you are you should learn to be more concise and respecting other's intelligence by hinting at what you mean in 1 sentences rather than explains every word in 10-100 (condescending) lines. It also cannot help that you pretend to be better than anyone.

As for the content of your wall of text, most of it come along making thing "more realist" not "more fun". But in video-game design there's such concept as needless complexity and acceptable break from reality. If the gameplay cannot in practical way emulate RESEARCH better without hijacking 80% of your play time, then emulating RESEARCH isn't worth it.

Lastly, can't defend that you look like a troll Wujc. Only thing to respect is how much you wrote.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Wujc

Quote from: Kegereneku on March 15, 2015, 05:01:48 AM
Am I on the Rimworld Forum or is that a Homestuck Troll roleplaying one ?

Jokes aside, the overall tones of this suggestionorder you made have been addressed. Myself I also didn't read all of it. For as boastful as you are you should learn to be more concise and respecting other's intelligence by hinting at what you mean in 1 sentences rather than explains every word in 10-100 (condescending) lines. It also cannot help that you pretend to be better than anyone.

As for the content of your wall of text, most of it come along making thing "more realist" not "more fun". But in video-game design there's such concept as needless complexity and acceptable break from reality. If the gameplay cannot in practical way emulate RESEARCH better without hijacking 80% of your play time, then emulating RESEARCH isn't worth it.

Lastly, can't defend that you look like a troll Wujc. Only thing to respect is how much you wrote.
Well i dont want to waste time here. I will make new topic, where i make things simple and easy, so people can spend less time with reading and thinking. Everybody will be happy. And maybe, just maybe, i get some serious stuff in game.
I have urge to react to some things you wrote: I dont want realy realistic game. Not at all. I just dont want to have constant feeling, that somebody is making fool of me (or he is realy stupid). I can get along with stonecutting table research, but i wont get over the fact that cremation research is 1.5x harder than Shipbuilding basics. What is shipbuilding basics upgrade for anyway? Only to discover that space ships are not so easy to build and you need hardest researches for space ship? GEEEE Thanks! Iam ready for one way trip to Mars now!
Pardon me if i dont see that gameplay improve here. I see message "I want to waste begginers time with this upgrade and i dont care."

And to that respect/ing stuff: I believe people can get offended. I wrote in bad tone generaly only about Tynan Sylvester. Guy who wrote book (big respect for that) about games design and made alpha version of one game (pretty good one i agree) so far is trying to sell me book about desinging games in video about his unfinished alpha first released game? Now whose intelligence is questioned and discrespeced now? This man have so big self-confidence and balls of steel he can withstand few sucker punches and maybe he deserves some. I still like him for all those little things - for example this pointless topic: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=11461.0
It gives that warm feeling that he cares about regular mortals (and maybe he realy does - i dont know him).
If he come and say some stuff:
1) I dont know what iam doing and i dont know where the path iam walking on leads us
2) I know exactly what iam doing, and i will/willnot share with you
3) I want these things like that, but feel free to inspire me in other things
4) I want this game to be survival/strategic/action/social simulation mix

What are his plans? Is it secret? So far i can believe RimWorld's title: sci fi colony sim driven by an intelligent AI storyteller.
AI storyteller is kinda clear and give us all hope for new storytellers and interesting, unexpected, crazy set-ups that will cross any genre!..
But "Sci-fi colony simulator" needs to be obviously specified! I dont want play "The Sims" at my colony. I dont want be hidden in base untill my colonists become unstobable cyborgs. But does Tynan want same? I dont know! Its alpha so is he expecting help from community? If so, how much and where to focus? I wont make any research suggestions if he give at least little signal, that he have his very own plans with research skill and tree, and we should wait for next release, then give suggestions (or we should not give any research suggestions at all). That is i believe important stuff to know.

Kegereneku

A lot of understatement & overstatement is to be expected when trying to sell a game... even if it wasn't in development... even if you had a competent public relation staff. No game can be completely encompassed by any description, certainly not a game already as complicated as Rimworld.

90% of complaints about research and other feature lack of finesse and all-around synergy between mechanic can be summed up by "ALPHA". Yet you are criticizing this plus the rate of development (which is so far very fast considering a few other more/less complicated indy game with small team/one dev working), from your tones let's just say you discredit yourself.

But I'll stop on this before it devolve into personal attack : I find Rimworld quite impressive already and expect Tynan to eventually deliver more research subtlety in a matter of months or make me forget about it by the cheer interest of the rest.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Wujc

Quote from: Kegereneku on March 15, 2015, 07:04:07 AM
90% of complaints about research and other feature lack of finesse and all-around synergy between mechanic can be summed up by "ALPHA".
Exactly. Research is just funy little crumb on table, i didnt have time to get to important stuff yet. Actualy i dont care about research in game. Stonecutters table -> Geothermal power -> all other upgrades in random order. I found research in current state amateurish even for alpha, but who cares. Its pretty much closed chapter for me. Also when you say 90% of complain are ALPHA related, you are saying 10% of them are autorized? Because if so, you are like biggest fan of my proposals so far :D Eheheheeeee. Play time is fun time!

But I'll stop on this before it devolve into personal attack :
Feel free to devolve into personal attacks anytime.

I find Rimworld quite impressive already and expect Tynan to eventually deliver more research subtlety in a matter of months or make me forget about it by the cheer interest of the rest.
When i first played RimWorld i spend like 20 hours in row playing. Didnt happend to me many years. This game have so much potential already, that i want to buy Ludeon Studios, kick Tynan, give all his hard work to team of 10 fulltime job programmers and become rich, happy and famouse bastard. When i analized my experience from first game play, only one game came to my mind. I know some people will maybe find it funy, but we talking about sensational element. The game i keep think of in connection with RimWorld experience was X-com: Enemy Unknown. My brain cells have huge association with X-com and RimWorld for very logical reason, but i dont want to  write essay about this (Mostly its atmosphere)... RimWorld can easily become HYPE of 2015. It can even become new minecraft. Only more complex and with less cute pixelart (+ for it)! But it can easily become garbage and potential will be lost. I swear i will patiently sit, enjoy it and wait even year till its finished. Its one of the game i want my kids will play when it become finished. But i dont want to listen "Daddy its like The Sims with guns" or some different sad quote from them! This is not what i believe RimWorld deserves to end up like. And if so, i dont want to waste time and be part of it. I will continue in my search somewhere else! Also i send 50 bucks to Tynan (He deserves it for amount of time i had fun minus time i didnt so far), wish everybody best and go away from this damn place!
I understand we are talking about process that will take at least months (maybe years if Tynan will do mayor of work by himself).