[A12] BackstoriesCore Update 10

Started by mipen, March 26, 2015, 05:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PineyCreek

Ah, thanks so much
Quote from: mipen on March 27, 2015, 06:58:11 AM
Quote from: PineyCreek on March 26, 2015, 02:53:59 PM
Could you post an example? I'm not really getting how to format it.
I've updated the mod, and now included is a template. Open the Templates.zip file in the Defs folder and extract the BackstoryDefTemplate.xml file to the BackstoryDefs folder, then open it and follow the hints.

Ah, thanks so much. That will be a be help. Now on to play around with this!

ImpulsiveZombie

Hmm. I've messed around with this mod (which is awesome, by the way.) and it appears that there seems to be a 'limit' as to how many backstories you can add. I created 8 backstories since I'm RPing 4 characters, and they don't show up when added in bulk, but individually they appear fine when I remove the other backstories from the text file. Is there a way this could be circumnavigated?
EDIT: I've determined that you can have a maximum of 4 backstories naturally. (IE: The 3 base ones from the mod + the one that you create) Since I am inept at coding, you'll have to forgive me if there's an obvious reason as to why there can't be an amplitude of backstories.

MuffaloBoy

Same problem. I modified the backstories given in your xml file, and wrote four more, but none of them appear when in the prepare carefully menu..  :'(

Anyway, you've made a great work with the mod. It's a great idea! Congrats!  ::)

Nanotraining .. :)

Chaplain

Quote from: ImpulsiveZombie on March 27, 2015, 03:11:34 PMI've determined that you can have a maximum of 4 backstories naturally.

Well glad I read that before I got too far into making a bunch of backstories...

Igabod

I've just successfully tested it with 6 new ones along with the ones included in the mod. I found all of them with no problems. Are you guys maybe not checking in the right category for them? As in you created adulthood stories but checked in the childhood slot? I may be doing things a bit different though. I added another file instead of adding onto the one that was there already. Check the attachments to see what I did. It includes adulthood and childhood stories focused on farming, construction, and mining. Just throw the attached xml file in the defs/BackstoryDefs folder along with the CoreBackstoryDefs.xml file.

[edit to add] I did notice that there is no About folder with an About.xml file in it. This is obviously not a huge problem since the mod still works without it, but that might be something you should add in the next update.

[edit again to add] By the way, I do plan on adding more than just these 6. I just released it early to help solve the issues that were reported regarding new backstories not showing up.

[attachment deleted due to age]

MuffaloBoy

Just looked over the xml again.. in my case, I made a copy/paste in each of the new backstories, and missed the last line '</BackstoryDefs>' including it in some of them..  :P Do you think it can be the problem?? Gonna check it now. Coming back in a while..

Thx!! :D

EDIT: that was the problem, indeed. Mod working! Thx again..

ImpulsiveZombie

I really can't figure out what's wrong with the rest of my backstories. At least 4 of them seem to work fine, but the rest don't show up when inserted into a separate xml file. Would anyone be willing to proof-read my work if I were to edit it in?
[EDIT]: Here is a pastebin link to the text file, if you're interested in lending me a hand: http://pastebin.com/0xkCwfVk
I've also named the file "RWBYBackstories", but I'm unsure if this would affect its compatibility with the game.
Help would be greatly appreciated!
[EDIT II] I did some light repairs on the original file, still to no avail: http://pastebin.com/n0J3S7Q6

MuffaloBoy

Why don't you try to add

<workDisables>
      <li>None</li>
   </workDisables>

instead of ignoring it?

ImpulsiveZombie

Quote from: MuffaloBoy on March 27, 2015, 05:18:46 PM
Why don't you try to add

<workDisables>
      <li>None</li>
   </workDisables>

instead of ignoring it?
Didn't work unfortunately. Also, I ignored <workDisables> when I made the other backstories to no ill effect, so it's apparently something else.

Igabod

Quote from: ImpulsiveZombie on March 27, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
I really can't figure out what's wrong with the rest of my backstories. At least 4 of them seem to work fine, but the rest don't show up when inserted into a separate xml file. Would anyone be willing to proof-read my work if I were to edit it in?
[EDIT]: Here is a pastebin link to the text file, if you're interested in lending me a hand: http://pastebin.com/0xkCwfVk
I've also named the file "RWBYBackstories", but I'm unsure if this would affect its compatibility with the game.
Help would be greatly appreciated!

You said that 4 are working and the others aren't, but in that pastebin I ONLY see 4. Also, these backstories will not be on a specific colonist, so you need to use the NAME and HIS and HE and HECAP and HISCAP variables in place of names and his/her he/she to make this a generic backstory. That fact could be what is stopping this from showing up in EDB's Prepare Carefully mod. Other than that and the ignored <workDisables> parts, I don't see anything wrong with this code. Also, regardless of whether or not the code complains about those missing, it's never good to just ignore parts of the code. I suggest you add the suggested bit from MuffaloBoy.

badgerpendous

Love this mod! Here are my first two backstories:

<BackstoryDef>
      <defName>BadgerOrphanOfTheSea</defName>
      <title>Sea orphan</title>
      <titleShort>Sea orphan</titleShort>
      <baseDescription>NAME grew up being trained to crew a vessel on the ocean planet Posiedon Seven before being captured by slavers. HECAP has never been on dry land, never seen a tree, never been under ground.</baseDescription>
      <bodytypeMale>Thin</bodytypeMale>
      <bodyTypeFemale>Thin</bodyTypeFemale>
      <slot>Childhood</slot>
      <workDisables>
        <li>PlantWork</li>
        <li>Mining</li>     
      </workDisables>
      <skillGains>
        <li>
          <defName>Cooking</defName>
          <amount>3</amount>
        </li>
        <li>
          <defName>Crafting</defName>
          <amount>3</amount>
        </li>
      </skillGains>
      <spawnCategories>
        <li>Slave</li>
      </spawnCategories>
  </BackstoryDef>

<BackstoryDef>
      <defName>BadgerSeafarer</defName>
      <title>Seafarer</title>
      <titleShort>Seafarer</titleShort>
      <baseDescription>NAME spent HIS life as part of a large sailing crew aboard a massive ship-city on the ocean planet Poseidon Seven. HECAP rose to the rank of Master of Arms after training at the various forms of combat practiced on the open water.</baseDescription>
      <bodytypeMale>Thin</bodytypeMale>
      <bodyTypeFemale>Thin</bodyTypeFemale>
      <slot>Adulthood</slot>
      <workDisables>
        <li>PlantWork</li>
      </workDisables>
      <skillGains>
        <li>
          <defName>Mining</defName>
          <amount>-2</amount>
        </li>
        <li>
          <defName>Cooking</defName>
          <amount>3</amount>
        </li>
        <li>
          <defName>Shooting</defName>
          <amount>4</amount>
        </li>
        <li>
          <defName>Melee</defName>
          <amount>3</amount>
        </li>       
      </skillGains>
      <spawnCategories>
        <li>Civil</li>
        <li>Raider</li>
        <li>Slave</li>
      </spawnCategories>
  </BackstoryDef>

ImpulsiveZombie

Quote from: Igabod on March 27, 2015, 06:19:49 PM
You said that 4 are working and the others aren't, but in that pastebin I ONLY see 4. Also, these backstories will not be on a specific colonist, so you need to use the NAME and HIS and HE and HECAP and HISCAP variables in place of names and his/her he/she to make this a generic backstory. That fact could be what is stopping this from showing up in EDB's Prepare Carefully mod. Other than that and the ignored <workDisables> parts, I don't see anything wrong with this code. Also, regardless of whether or not the code complains about those missing, it's never good to just ignore parts of the code. I suggest you add the suggested bit from MuffaloBoy.
I forgot to mention that I left out the functional backstories to narrow down what exactly is wrong, and to make it a bit easier on the eyes as opposed to having a massive wall of text.
Yeah, I felt lazy and thought that skipping the HE/HIS (etc.) commands wouldn't interfere with the code since I purposely built the stories for RP characters. :p My bad.
I repaired the backstories with your suggestions, (Including the functional ones) but there's still no dice. There should be enough content to make it seem like a generic backstory, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Huh. (Link if you're interested: http://pastebin.com/n0J3S7Q6)

Igabod

Quote from: ImpulsiveZombie on March 27, 2015, 06:49:52 PM
I forgot to mention that I left out the functional backstories to narrow down what exactly is wrong, and to make it a bit easier on the eyes as opposed to having a massive wall of text.
Yeah, I felt lazy and thought that skipping the HE/HIS (etc.) commands wouldn't interfere with the code since I purposely built the stories for RP characters. :p My bad.
I repaired the backstories with your suggestions, (Including the functional ones) but there's still no dice. There should be enough content to make it seem like a generic backstory, but I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Huh. (Link if you're interested: http://pastebin.com/n0J3S7Q6)

I've looked this over and even copied it and tested in the game myself. I can't see any reasons why it wouldn't show up, but I can confirm that this is definitely not working. I'll keep trying to fix it though and I'll be sure to let you know if I figure it out. I'd like it if you could attach the actual .xml file (including the working ones) to a post though.

test_account

I could make any backstory I want! But this is the only one I could come up with.

<BackstoryDef>
<defName>BackstoryThirdwallBreaker</defName>
<title>Time travelling gamer</title>
<titleShort>Gamer</titleShort>
<baseDescription>NAME is a 21st century gamer who fell asleep at HIS keyboard and woke up as a character in the Rimworld universe. The technology is foreign and HE is very, very out of place. Please send help.</baseDecription>
<bodytypeMale>Male</bodytypeMale>
<bodyTypeFemale>Female</bodyTypeFemale>
<slot>Childhood</slot>
<workDisables>
<li>Intellectual</li>
</workDisables>
<skillGains>
<li>
<defName>Shooting</defName>
<amount>-3</amount>
</li>
<li>
<defName>Melee</defName>
<amount>-5</amount>
</li>
</skillGains>
<spawnCategories>
<li>Civil</li>
<li>Slave</li>
</spawnCategories>
  </BackstoryDef>

I don't suppose there's a way to predispose certain backstories to certain traits? Assassins, for instance, seem to have a tendency to get Careful Shooter, but that may just be confirmation bias on my end.

EDIT:
Also, here's a philosopher. (It's ok this is what I went to school for a degree in)
  <BackstoryDef>
    <defName>TKBackstoryGlitterworldPhilosopher</defName>
    <title>Glitterworld philosopher</title>
    <titleShort>Philosopher</titleShort>
    <baseDescription>The life of leisure found on Glitterworlds allows one to pursue all manner of liberal arts. NAME chose to pursue a life of endless navel gazing. NAME finds it difficult to converse with others. HECAP thinks it's because of HIS intelligence, but the truth is that nobody wants to listen to HIS long-winded diatribes, often as pointless as they are circular.</baseDescription>
    <bodytypeMale>Fat</bodytypeMale>
    <bodyTypeFemale>Fat</bodyTypeFemale>
    <slot>Adulthood</slot>
    <workDisables>
      <li>ManualDumb</li>
      <li>ManualSkilled</li>
      <li>Violent</li>
      <li>Scary</li>
    </workDisables>
    <skillGains>
      <li>
        <defName>Social</defName>
        <amount>-6</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Research</defName>
        <amount>6</amount>
      </li>
    </skillGains>
    <spawnCategories>
      <li>Civil</li>
    </spawnCategories>
  </BackstoryDef>

Igabod

Quote from: test_account on March 27, 2015, 08:43:33 PM
I don't suppose there's a way to predispose certain backstories to certain traits? Assassins, for instance, seem to have a tendency to get Careful Shooter, but that may just be confirmation bias on my end.

I'd love to have the ability to tie certain traits to a backstory. I don't know whether that would be possible or not, but if it is that would be a great addition. I'd make a backstory for cannibals that explains why they started being cannibals.

Also... YAY! This is my 1000th post on these forums! Click HERE to see my first post.