[A14] Skullywags Defensive mods - Shields, Fortifications, Armour, BlastCharges

Started by skullywag, June 28, 2015, 01:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

ill look into the value issue, the other thing is nothing to do with my mods, im running them all right now and its fine, you using EdB stuff and if so have you updated it?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

skullywag

im seeing the values correctly in Prepare Carefully. Not sure why you wouldnt be, helmet is 2500 vanilla one is 2000, armour is 6000 vanilla is 4500.

Mechanoid Hivemind

Hm Ill check again. But i swear that its the other way around. I may have read it to fast.
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

AllenWL

Quote from: skullywag on July 03, 2015, 10:31:48 AM
I have got some refactorimg for the shields. They were never a finished system i needed feedback to improve them, so i definitley want to add a "if pawn is attacking" lower the chance of damage absorb happening. Tye material right now is purely the hitpoints of the shield. Block chance if you look back in the thread is based on random chance and the melee skill. Check the alorithm on my github i linked, if you can make sense of it please feed back changes you think should happen. If not put down in a logical fashion what you want it to do and what pawn stats etc it should use at what points ill see if i can come up with code that fits. :)
I have no idea on what the algorithm is, but after some thought, I came up with a idea that I hope won't be too hard to implement.

When a pawn gets damaged, check whether the source of damage is a projectile or a melee weapon. Then, check if the damage exceeds a certain 'limit'.
If it's a melee weapon, there would be a 2/4 chance to block, 1/4 chance to deflect, and 1/4 chance to miss.
If it's a projectile, it would have a 1/4 chance to block, 1/4 chance to deflect, and 2/4 chance to miss.
However, if the damage exceeds the limit, a block would instead 'penetrate', and a deflect would miss.

If a pawn blocks, it prevents the pawn from getting damaged, and reduces durability worth 20% of the damage, rounded up.
Ex: A attack worth 1~5 damage removes 1 durability from the shield, attack worth 5~10 damage removes 2 durability from the shield, etc.

If a pawn deflects, it reduces the damage by 3/4, and reduces durability worth 10% of the attack damage, rounded down.
Ex: an attack worth 1~9 damage does not damage the shield, an attack worth 10~19 damage removes 1 durability from the shield, etc.

If a pawn misses, the damage is not blocked, and the shield does not lose durability.

If the attack penetrates, the damage is halved, and the shield loses durability worth 25% of the attack damage, rounded up.

The materials of the shield decides how much durability the shield has, and it's 'limit' before the attack 'penetrates'.

skullywag

Wouldnt that then make these shields more effective than the personal shields?

AllenWL

Does it?
I suppose it can, since it would probably last longer then a personal shield's charge, and those don't do a thing to melee weapons. And in my opinion, the personal shield is somewhat underpowered, and breaks rather quickly to any gun moderately strong enough

Though, my idea when I had this was shields would be used against melee, and P-shields would be used against guns.
As I wrote, against a gun, 3/4th's of the attacks would still damage the pawn anyways(sure, 1/4th of that 3/4th does 1/4th damage, but it would still hurt the pawn, make them bleed, and so forth), and a gun that's strong enough would either hit the pawn, or do half damage, and damage the shield a lot.
A shield would help against that guy with a gun, sure, but only a tiny bit. You'll still have to rely heavily on cover, or your pawn will get shot to bits. Compared to a personal shield that would block all shots, it's much less effective. Also, if a personal shield is broken.

With melee attacks, it would be more helpful, as half the attacks would be blocked.

The idea was if you're against a gunner, a personal shield would be better, but against another brawler, you'd want a 'real' shield.

If it's possible, the 'limit' could be set differently for melee and ranged damage, so say, a wooden shield could block melee attacks weaker than say, 10, and ranged attacks weaker then say, 5. Anything stronger would penetrate. A steel shield blocks melee attacks weaker then say, 20, and ranged attacks up to 15, etc.

At first, I wanted a attack that reached the limit to 'penetrate' when it would block, miss when it would deflect, and miss when it would, well, miss. That would make a ranged attack that reached the limit to have a 3/4 chance to not get blocked, and a 1/4th chance to penetrate, making it even worse for ranged, but I couldn't think of a way to write it down clearly. Maybe I'll try now.

skullywag

Its definitley possible to define melee over ranged. Ill take some of what youre sayimg onboard, i would like to keep the reliance on melee skill in there as well. Ill probably do another pass soon incorporating some stuff you guys have stated and see where it takes me.

Mechanoid Hivemind

The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

skullywag

I actually lightened them to match the steel walls, ill have to do a check on this and make sure i use EXACTLY the same greys dont know if i can get it perfect though, unless I redo the embrasure texture from scratch (its the one thats been floating around for a while now in multiple mods) it might just need that tbh, have you seen embrasures in other mods that match out of interest?

Mechanoid Hivemind

Quote from: skullywag on July 12, 2015, 05:32:26 PM
I actually lightened them to match the steel walls, ill have to do a check on this and make sure i use EXACTLY the same greys dont know if i can get it perfect though, unless I redo the embrasure texture from scratch (its the one thats been floating around for a while now in multiple mods) it might just need that tbh, have you seen embrasures in other mods that match out of interest?
There was a mod that dropped off some time ago that had them like alpha 8 or 9, and they where pretty close to the color of the other walls that mods name i couldnt tell you :/

UFTimmy

Sorry for the probably obvious question, but how do I obtain the Personal Shields Mk II? Can they be crafted, or do I just have to find them on the bodies of random raiders?

skullywag

Traders and Raiders, you may want to tweak the commonality in the xml to 2 or 3 (its currently 1 and they are VERY rare), ive changed it to 2 in the next version im yet to release.

AllenWL

Iwillbenicetou

It's stronger than power armor Mk 1 or regular armor

(just looking at this mod) You brought back blasting charges :D 5 of them incinerates a bunch of people. Just get them all close together (ssssss) Boom!
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Boston

Quote from: skullywag on June 28, 2015, 02:55:11 PM
yeah thats on my list, its doable, just not easy, as the moment you add a mod weapon I have no way of knowing it its a 1 handed or a 2 handed weapon.

Literally every melee weapon on the weapon list is a "one-handed" weapon, if that helps. Spears "could" be used with 2 hands, but in all seriousness, probably not. Given the choice between "range" (2 hands) and "defense and range" (1 hand + shield), give me the shield every time.

The "progression" of shields should probably go:

-Leather (various animal hides + wood frame)
-Wood
-Metal
-Plastic/plasteel