Would you fund another round of RimWorld development?

Started by akiceabear, August 29, 2015, 01:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How much would you contribute for 1 more year of full time development after RimWorld 1.0?

$0
18 (7.8%)
$1-10
43 (18.6%)
$11-20
57 (24.7%)
$21-30
56 (24.2%)
$31-50
28 (12.1%)
$50+
29 (12.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

mumblemumble

My 2 cents is i would pay more specifically for something redefining, like zlevels, visiting different areas,  ect. This would be good both for feeling more worth it,  AND Adding new systems "officially" would also encourage more people to buy,  if mods then take advantage and use the features in mods.  (for those 2 ideas,  z levels are obvious,  relocation / visiting mechanics i could see plenty of mods for,  ect.)
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

MultiDavid

isistoy

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 29, 2015, 11:38:44 PM
My 2 cents is i would pay more specifically for something redefining, like zlevels, visiting different areas,  ect

Same here, I would gladly scale up money-wise depending on next objectives.

Coop mode, a la Don't Starve Together, would be my main (not redefining mechanics though, but obviously redefines some parts of the experience).
Possible second could be Faction's interactions, though it doesn't say enough per se and I suspect mods can reach some things already, so Faction's missions would be more appropriate
<Stay on the scene like a State machine>

GamerGuy

I would hate to see z-levels in rimworld, it would put me off the game

milon

It's really hard for me to picture "z-levels done well", but I would be all on favor of that. However, "z-levels done poorly" would be a huge turn-off for me, so I have really mixed feelings on that one.

I'm really REALLY in favor of improved/expanded faction relations, though, and there's do many ways it could grow and be awesome. I would definitely save up my spending money for that!

Noobshock

I'd be in for another round IF Tynan feels up to it. That would mean having a plan with a new list of features to work on from the get go. So far this game has proved to be the best DF "for normal people" ;) alternative and that's already a huge achievement imo. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing it go even further if the motivation was there.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: milon on August 30, 2015, 01:22:33 PM
It's really hard for me to picture "z-levels done well", but I would be all on favor of that. However, "z-levels done poorly" would be a huge turn-off for me, so I have really mixed feelings on that one.

I'm really REALLY in favor of improved/expanded faction relations, though, and there's do many ways it could grow and be awesome. I would definitely save up my spending money for that!

could always leave it opt in in the settings stuff while it's being adjusted/built still, maybe could stay like that if some people just flat out don't want it.

mumblemumble

I understand zlevels sounds odd but my theory is based off minecrafts astronomical success. A TON of minecraft development was spent on almost invisible or just light at first glance changes, which also opened Pandoras box for modders / mapmakers.

And face it,  that was a huge part of its success. Yes zlevels is almost endlessly daunting,  but if done properly?...  The possibilities would not end. High cost yes,  but VERY... VERY high reward.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: mumblemumble on August 30, 2015, 11:47:16 PM
I understand zlevels sounds odd but my theory is based off minecrafts astronomical success. A TON of minecraft development was spent on almost invisible or just light at first glance changes, which also opened Pandoras box for modders / mapmakers.

And face it,  that was a huge part of its success. Yes zlevels is almost endlessly daunting,  but if done properly?...  The possibilities would not end. High cost yes,  but VERY... VERY high reward.

a very good point in some ways, if terraria had a 3D world we'd surely see a much different popularity list, it's undeniable that 2D is better for platforming, but at the same time it's also pretty undeniable that for creativity/survival sandboxes 3D provides a much more long term interesting environment, just try thinking about it like this for the programming minded:

you have 100 tiles in which to hide something the player can find in some way or another, that's less permutations to worry about than there are brute forcing a combination lock (3 digit) in a 2D plane, that is to say that many places (not considering anything else) it could be placed.

now i'm going to just preface this right here and now, i'm amazingly bad at math so my apologies in advance but the general idea should still be true to the best of my knowledge
same deal, 100 tiles to use to hide something that must be found, except this time you have not only x and y (horizontal and vertical respectively) as well as mister z level, this means that at the very least when you had 100 total places something could be squirreled away in the previous example in this one you should have at least 300 permutations at the very least given that extra plane of perspective we call z-level (depth).

akiceabear

Quotez-levels chatter [snip]

Perhaps spin a technical/philosophical z-levels discussion off into another thread - my main focus here was on gauging how supportive the community would be of a expansion/2nd funding round, and if there were any deal breakers/makers for people. From the poll its quite clear that the majority are in support of richer mechanics/content, which hopefully is good encouragement for Tynan to brainstorm what form that may take, both from a design and human resources perspective.

TheSilencedScream

I'd definitely put another $10-15 towards the game for a extended development cycle, as long as Tynan was on board with it. I wouldn't consider this offer unless he was involved, as I've come to trust him as a developer - something that's really damn hard to do these days.

I've been thoroughly impressed when looking from what was advertised in the Kickstarter and what's been delivered; I've said in the past that I'm disappointed that he views the game as pretty much being in a complete state, but that disappointment comes from me wanting more - because this is a game that I've thoroughly enjoyed (despite the uncomfortably high number of hours I've put into it).

So yeah, if Tynan were still on board and could ensure the integrity of the project, take my money. Please.
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

StorymasterQ

Me personally, I'd buy another copy of Rimworld for that. It's another $30 from me.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

keylocke

i'd probably chip in for a kickstarter for around $20-30, as long as it would include z-levels and pvp multiplayer.

none of that kumbayah co-op only crap for me.

fighting an AI who's only winning strategy is to throw more crap at me is no fun at all.

i wanna fight against badass people who can win fights by tactically outwitting me or planning out more efficient logistics and long-term strategies..

so either the AI gets really, really good.. or the game allows us to fight against badass players on z-levels of physics mayhem.

that's probably the next version of rimworld i'm hoping for.. (oh and yea, we need better graphics for rimworld. probably like the artstyle of dungeons of the endless and galactic princess or kentucky route zero)

anyways, if tynan manages to pull that off, i'd probably don't mind emptying my wallet just to play multiplayer for that game. (give options for both LAN and online play as well as team vs team pvp or AI)

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: akiceabear on August 31, 2015, 02:39:09 AM
Quotez-levels chatter [snip]

Perhaps spin a technical/philosophical z-levels discussion off into another thread - my main focus here was on gauging how supportive the community would be of a expansion/2nd funding round, and if there were any deal breakers/makers for people. From the poll its quite clear that the majority are in support of richer mechanics/content, which hopefully is good encouragement for Tynan to brainstorm what form that may take, both from a design and human resources perspective.

sorry, didn't mean to start a big discussion here, just have a hard time stopping myself to explain sometimes. :)

also though, it made me think, just regards to tynan and ludeon, after how happy i am with rimworld i'd be assuming that he's a designer who won't work on contract (many bad kickstarter experiences, personally) because of compromising the design that way, from what i've observed he really had something special and unique he wanted to create and sought out to do just that, can get behind that more often than not for sure.