Animal Information Thread + Poll (A17 Updated)

Started by LouisTBR, September 01, 2015, 12:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite Animal? State Reasons below after voting please!

Alpaca
Alphabeaver
Boar
Boomalope
Boomrat
Capybara
Chicken
Chinchilla
Cobra
Cow
Deer
Dromedary (Camel)
Elephant
Elk
Hare
Husky
Iguana
Labrador
Megascarab
Monkey
Muffalo
Pig
Squirrel
Thrumbo
Tortoise
Warg
Yorkshire Terrier
Cassowary
Emu
Gazelle
Ibex
Megasloth
Ostrich
Snowhare
Turkey
Megaspider
Spelopede
Raccoon
Rat
Arctic Fox
Arctic Wolf
Cat
Cougar
Fennec Fox
Lynx
Panther
Red Fox
Timberwolf
Grizzly Bear

Jimyoda

You can find a table here:
http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Animals
And it's sortable! I'm welcome to feedback about it. I want more info in the table but I'm afraid to make it any wider lest it run off the screen.
I did not write the lead paragraph though. It sorely needs some massaging.

Below it I will add another table for animals that provide milk, wool, and/or eggs.

I'll also greatly expand the page with sections for talking about taming, training, naming, breeding, life stages, health, needs, and trading.
Remember, *anyone* can contribute to the wiki but there doesn't seem to be many people that do, just some minor corrections here and there, which is still great.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

LouisTBR

Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

Matthiasagreen

Are the descriptions direct copies? I noticed the boomalope is compared to a boomalope, instead of what I suppose should be boomrat.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Cimanyd

It looks like the individual animal pages need work too. How can I help? What should be on those pages? I guess we should discuss this on the wiki.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

LouisTBR

I know, I meant boomrat. And, no they aren't direct copies. I made them up, but referred to the Rimworld wiki for help. Cimanyd, I don't think it really matters where we discuss it, because the wiki people aren't getting paid, and this is after all an informal wiki! I have contributed once, when writing this long list. The husky was apparently a herbivore, so I changed it to a omnivore (after using the development mode to spawn a husky to check if it was or not!). On the list of animals,  though, there is a picture of a potato next to the husky, which I presume means herbivore. I was going to download the meat sprite to place next to it, but I couldn't edit it. If someone could either unlock it for editing so I can add in the omnivore picture instead of just the word that would be brill! (The 'Omnivore' word was in the husky wiki, which classed it as a herbivore, so I changed it. I can't get the picture on the animals list to change, though, as this still states it as a herbivore (potato plant)

*edit*

Oh, someone changed it! Thanks to whoever that was!
Only in RimWorld is the phrase "31 Heavily-Armed Siegers are currently bombing your base" preferable to "50 manhunting squirrels are attacking your colony"

SaintD

I keep trying to use animals for anything at all, then get bored of them and sell the lot to a trader. :(

TheXIIILightning

Hey there, great guide!

Though I just wanted to let you know that Wargs CAN appear on your map randomly, though it is rare. In my current game I saw 4 or so appear on the map during Winter. Aside from those 4 I've only gotten them in a Manhunter event.

LouisTBR

Oh, good to know Lightning! Oh, and I'm super excited because I just noticed that this post has been read 440 times!

Jimyoda

Quote from: TheXIIILightning on September 02, 2015, 01:51:52 PM
Hey there, great guide!

Though I just wanted to let you know that Wargs CAN appear on your map randomly, though it is rare. In my current game I saw 4 or so appear on the map during Winter. Aside from those 4 I've only gotten them in a Manhunter event.
Yes, you're right. I just updated the wiki page.

Jimyoda

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 02, 2015, 01:25:47 PM
I know, I meant boomrat. And, no they aren't direct copies. I made them up, but referred to the Rimworld wiki for help. Cimanyd, I don't think it really matters where we discuss it, because the wiki people aren't getting paid, and this is after all an informal wiki! I have contributed once, when writing this long list. The husky was apparently a herbivore, so I changed it to a omnivore (after using the development mode to spawn a husky to check if it was or not!). On the list of animals,  though, there is a picture of a potato next to the husky, which I presume means herbivore. I was going to download the meat sprite to place next to it, but I couldn't edit it. If someone could either unlock it for editing so I can add in the omnivore picture instead of just the word that would be brill! (The 'Omnivore' word was in the husky wiki, which classed it as a herbivore, so I changed it. I can't get the picture on the animals list to change, though, as this still states it as a herbivore (potato plant)

*edit*

Oh, someone changed it! Thanks to whoever that was!
Any data used in the table on the Animal page will automatically be updated. However, there's usually a delay before the changes take effect - in that case go to the drop-down arrow and click Refresh.

LouisTBR

Thanks Yoda! Did you help create the wiki, by any chance?

milon

Apologies if anyone saw that little lock/unlock fiasco just now on this thread.  I was browsing from my phone, and "Lock Thread" and "General Discussion" are right next to each other. That, and my phone's touch detection kind of sucks, and the forum doesn't ask for confirmation before locking a thread... *facepalm*

LouisTBR

Ha, wondered why! I tried unlocking, but it wouldn't let me! Thanks for coming here, appreciate it!

Jimyoda

Quote from: Louisthebadassrimworlder on September 02, 2015, 04:12:46 PM
Thanks Yoda! Did you help create the wiki, by any chance?
No, I didn't help actually create it, not from the beginning. Most of it was already written, but I've been adding content and making dozens of edits a week since March '15. I've learned some of the advanced stuff like templates, properties, and queries and used that to make the Animals table and plan to apply that to other areas as well.

LouisTBR

Oh, good to know. I've just started then by doing some more descriptions (mainly beer-related!)