Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayfaerer

Robots!
I know it sounds code expensive. But it's basically a colonist with a different skin who instead of consuming food and having hunger consumes power and has a charge, must plug in and recharge (sleep) at a power socket (bed) but otherwise runs around like any other citizen with a fixed loyalty bar and no skill development. They can be purely combat or agriculture robots (same as nobles refusing to do other work) and can be a good source of labour for a one off payment that doesn't impinge on your food supply.

Then you can throw in a need for repairing and maintenance and malfunctions. From gaining sentience enabling the loyalty bar and negative positive effects like any other colonist, to disassembling stuff you've built, to helping the humans with all their malfunctioning flesh or hidden code which can be activated by raiding parties sneakily allied with the trader who sold you the bot, firmware hacks and upgrades to give your droid other skills and software upgrades to increase their skill.

Also probably already mentioned but can we have a non lethal weapon, minimal damage but higher chance to stun/incapacitate. I want to capture me some raiders :P

Ideas for weapons that fall into this category
- Shock sticks
- Tranqiliser rifle/rounds
- Gas grenade
- Riot foam launcher (just fires a projectile that if successful immobilises but still allows to fire or completely incapacitates an individual for x time)
- Riot foam mines (same as above but self explanatory)

Deemos

Pardon me for not going over all 21 pages of ideas so far... Since i beleive the underlying mechanic might be there for this..

Patrol zones. 

We have a home zone where colonists will look for fires and clean and so on.  but what about a patrol zone that if someone is drafted, they will automatically go to and fire on any raiders in that zone. 

UnitedPE

multiple game levels like in Dwarf Fortress.

Robitski

Quote from: UnitedPE on November 07, 2013, 01:06:32 PM
multiple game levels like in Dwarf Fortress.

That's VERY expensive, as mentioned before. These are cheap ideas, like reskins and basic buildings/structures for example. Anyway, I personally prefer not having the Z-levels, I think (as somebody else said before) it means you can focus more and management is easier.
At least 3.5% more reliable than a garden strimmer.

cappie

Quote from: Wayfaerer on November 07, 2013, 12:08:59 PM
Robots!
I know it sounds code expensive. But it's basically a colonist with a different skin who instead of consuming food and having hunger consumes power and has a charge, must plug in and recharge (sleep) at a power socket (bed) but otherwise runs around like any other citizen with a fixed loyalty bar and no skill development. They can be purely combat or agriculture robots (same as nobles refusing to do other work) and can be a good source of labour for a one off payment that doesn't impinge on your food supply.

Then you can throw in a need for repairing and maintenance and malfunctions. From gaining sentience enabling the loyalty bar and negative positive effects like any other colonist, to disassembling stuff you've built, to helping the humans with all their malfunctioning flesh or hidden code which can be activated by raiding parties sneakily allied with the trader who sold you the bot, firmware hacks and upgrades to give your droid other skills and software upgrades to increase their skill.

Also probably already mentioned but can we have a non lethal weapon, minimal damage but higher chance to stun/incapacitate. I want to capture me some raiders :P

Yes, that's basically my idea @ http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=685.0

Maybedid

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this but, I find myself a bit frustrated with the auto turrets' targeting. What if you could control the turret's target just like one of your colonists? Or perhaps a research topic that allows you to build different types of turrets i.e. flame turrets or grenade launcher turrets?

zenithar47

Just a simple suggestion for a new research area (not sure if it has been mentioned before), but I would like to see insulated roofing, which would stop the effects of a solar flare indoors, so that not all of your defenses are dead during a solar flare. It is simple code-wise, because it just does a check for if there is roofing over an electronic before shutting it off.

TerrisH

Power Switch:  slightly more expensive variation of the Power conduit.   can be turned on and off like a lamp.   when on, power passes through normally.   when off, power dose not pass through it.   

Useful for power management,   makeing it easier to set up back up batteries and/or turn entire sections of your base on or off.

Theotenai

It could be nice to be able to give nicknames to our colonists :)

Laos

Some "cheap" item ideas:

A "Pillar" that looks nicer than a wall and helps to support rooms when you make them really big

Switches that turn on/off power feeds.

Jasper

Just thought of a few more. A research track for power with things like: batteries charge slightly faster, lights cost 10% less electricity, can place objects further away from power line (like turrets) or improved fire resistance.

Also a way to assign beds to anyone. Sometimes I build a mini base near mining a fair way away from my main base. Its much more efficient if people working there, eat and sleep there too, but beds are all assigned to individuals. I want 'free' beds that anyone can use if nearby.

AwMeGawd

How about?

Dummy Turrets - Don't fire, cheap but absorb enemy attacks

Solar Reflectors - Attached to a Solar Panel, increases power output of the panel.

Mineral Miner - A unit that mines. It just produces metal over time, requires power.

Steam engine - Produces Power, burns crops, part of the farming chore.

Power Switches - Allows for division of the power grid. Greater control for the player.

Land mines - self explanatory.

No Go Zones - areas that your people are not allowed into.

That's my two cents worth....

Jelly

• Ability to replace dirt walls with normal walls inside your underground base. - It would still cost metal to build, but it just makes it easier to replace the dirt walls in your base with normal ones.
  • Nuclear Reactors. - Extremely unstable, but produces a lot of power.
  • Meteor Strikes - Is what it sounds.
  • Ceiling Lamps - Requires a ceiling above them, and still requires power (obviously)
That's all I got.

Nabobalis

The ability to see the explosion area of turrets or other structures which can go boom.
Also, some sort of reinforced wall which is able to contain an explosion.

solidcordon

Doormats!
Reduce the amount of dirt the grubby colonists track onto the carpets.