Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ro.othorick

Quote from: b0rsuk on June 20, 2016, 05:54:23 PM
Alcohol consumption should lower minimum comfortable temperature. This might seem pedantic, but it works this way in real life. People living in cold biomes are advised NOT to drink alcohol when they're about to go outdoors. The feeling of being warm is there because the body is pissing the heat away.

This random bit of knowledge picked from a computer game might save someone's live, no harm done if it's implemented.

As for gameplay, it would diffrentiate extreme hot from extreme cold biomes. Currently they're largely symmetric, you just swap coolers for heaters and wear appropriate clothes.

Min CT also currently affects thresholds for hypothermia (indeed it probably should be called minimum safe temperature), so the concept needs a little more finesse than that. It'd make more sense to raise min CT but eliminate the "cold" moodlets.

And I wouldn't call hot/cold symmetric as-is:

Extreme cold has a drastic effect on food availability; plants die in the freeze, farming is impossible for a good chunk of if not the entire year without building a greenhouse, and animals migrate off the map in search of food (or simply following their prey). But with clothes it's quite easy to bring min CT to stupidly low levels; -30F can be achieved pretty trivially from stripping a few raids' worth of bodies. Hypothermia is a serious concern only in the very very early game or in certain (unrealistic) fringe cases like a naked incapacitated person.

No clothes increase max CT. There's nothing you can do to protect yourself from the heat directly. Your only line of defense against heatstroke is going inside. Getting your walls bashed in during a raid becomes far more dangerous because you can't get away from the heat. In addition, coolers take twice as much power and you can't double-dip on your freezer's coolers like you can when it's cold out. But you can grow year-round and foraging/hunting opportunities are plentiful.

So they present VERY different challenges.

b0rsuk

Extreme cold has a drastic effect on food availability; plants die in the freeze, farming is impossible for a good chunk of if not the entire year without building a greenhouse,
But you need no coolers. The world is your freezers. So cargo pods are a big boon, and if you DO hunt something it won't spoil even in a solar flare.

No clothes increase max CT. There's nothing you can do to protect yourself from the heat directly. Your only line of defense against heatstroke is going inside.
I assume we're still talking about the game ? Cowboy hats and dusters do increase maximum comfortable temperature.
But you can grow year-round and foraging/hunting opportunities are plentiful.
On extreme deserts during summer heat waves, plants stop growing at all. Winter heat waves make no difference. Other than that, you can put hydroponic tables outdoors and you only spend 70W per table, no 1600W for sunlamp!

So they present VERY different challenges.
I still disagree.

Juan el Demgrafo

Colonist Sublists: Basically a list of colonist that acts lets you select a group of pre-chosen colonist in the same way if you select them by double clicking. The primary reason for this is to be able to quickly sort out your militia members. Some major list that I think would be used would be: "Melee Squad," "Snipers," "Riflemen"... I would also think that having some automatic rules for who's included would be useful as well. E.g. "Exclude Infected: Muscleparasites", "Include Equipped: Sniper rifle." This could also double as a cheap way to find certain subgroups of your colonist such as by various medical ailments (E.g. missing limb), traits, etc.
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

LtDemonLord

Can you please add a system where the animals will learn to do or not to do certain things after they've tried something a couple of times? For example, I'm in a biome where there's a lot of boomrats and boomalopes around and my carnivorous pets always try to eat them and when the prey explodes and sets everything around them on fire, they get hurt. It would be nice if I don't have to rescue my animals every couple of seconds.

ro.othorick

Traits:

• Claustrophobic: +200% space moodlet effect (similar to how the psychically dull/sensitive traits work internally)
  • Slob: -75% beauty moodlet effect (positive AND negative); cleaning disabled
  • Dwarfism: lower creature size stat (which affects a LOT of things. Probably an easter egg opportunity here too.)

666Matt666

Make autodoors not break down? It gets really annoying. The whole point of making them would be to save time, but instead my colonists spend hours fixing them, so the simple door right now is cheaper AND more efficient. I think it would be more balanced.

Kryc8

Arms should have very small moving efficiency so colonists without legs would be able to move around (torso also should have very small moving efficiency colonist would not crawl around if they took too much damage)

b0rsuk

Devilstrand carpets. Devilstrand armchairs. For those who need to show off.

ro.othorick

On Permadeath, the "This story is over" dialog should delete the save, and not have an option to keep playing.

b0rsuk

Pirate merchant is LEAVING the comms range. Similar to how ground trade caravans give you one last warning to trade.

I was preoccupied developing my colony and completely forgot about the ship.

VortecusMaximus

Apple trees? Both wild and the ability to make an orchard with growing zones. Can just use the oak tree assets, just add some green spots in the growth stage, once tree gets to 40% grown, it'll start producing apples, similarly to how berry bushes work.

b0rsuk

Bushes that aren't fruit bushes. Crappy cover, slows movement.

Kryc8

When choosing colonist for colony you should be able to chooce a colonist for the list of all colonists for role play for examle.
Then I wouldn't have to reroll milion times to get Vas the merc or Tail Pop star...

giannikampa

Specific traits (or backstories) that halves/doubles the effect of crowded rooms.
Like loners getting sadder than others because of the many people surrounding him. Or a hyper social person (pop star?) that goes very sad if nobody is around.

More in general I would suggest a wider traits and backstories pool,  many of them distorcing how buffs and debuffs apply to colonists because of the personal percetions of the surroundig.

Having more and more traits leads to more and more combinations, so more unique pawns.

How to have even more unique pawns? Letting them have the maximum of traits set to to 5 or more instead of actual 3.

And as always.. sorry for my bad english

b0rsuk

When you drag and drop to build a floor, the total cost is displayed near the cursor. But not if room stats are enabled. I have room stats display enabled 80% of the time. Each time I build something like sterile floor I need to turn off room stats and then drag&drop to get the idea what's the cost.

Or do calculations in my head, but it's awkward if the room is L-shaped etc.