Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonisn

I would like to steal lots of features from game called Gnomoria.
thou in it there is the possibility to mine downwards but implementing that in Rimworld would be lots of work so
but the colonist management is alright in it.
*FERTILIZERS production from animal crap, corpses, marsh.
*CLAY and the industry behind it. Bricks, Pottery Clay pump? that creates some amount of clay if enough water is applied
*HERDING of animals, maybe get dogs to be trained in it. maybe some way to make enclosure for animals.
*TELEPORT to other settlement. Very late game thing.
*TRADE-ROUTES "Merchant Mike tells you that if you can supply me whit 100 steel per year i will visit you every week.. deals would vary from good to bad"
*KNOWN OASIS/CAMP/INN places

Some might be more work than others. Maybe they all are too much work.

Can

IDK if this is cheap or not (bc from what I've seen, wildness doesn't seem to be a stat that can have modifiers), but adding wildness modifiers for life stages seems like a good idea to me. For example, lifestage (baby) will have a 50% wildness modifier, while lifestage (juvenile) will have a 80% wildness modifier, making taming and training animals that are younger easier for your colonists. According to these placeholder modifiers, a wolf cub would have 37% wildness shown on its stats and would be a lot easier to tame and train than a fully-grown predator wolf.

corestandeven

2 cheap ideas:

1 - a symbol or different colour font in the trade/caravan screen for dead men's clothes. When a trader comes along I'm keen to sell all my clothes worn by corpses (as they have no use to me) and I want keep my spare clothes that my pawns have created. Having a symbol or something to quickly identify in the trade/caravan screen that an item was from a corpse would be a very handy thing.

2 - a simple toggle button for campfires and torches to say do not refuel. e.g. I have a campfire that is going to last until the end of winter, and when it does i no longer need it. Yet my pawns decide with no prompting to refuel it even though it has 2 days left, wasting wood. If you leave toggle on, then pawns will refuel just as they do now.

ja7833

Add beach joy activities: swimming and sandcastle building
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

dsc

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 17, 2017, 03:14:17 AM
@ dsc  do you mind if I integrate your suggestions / some of your suggestions into my thread ?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30599.0

Go for it. :) Maybe stick my name in?

XeroJoy

1.) In stockpiles/crematorium priorities under the apparel tab, in addition to the "allow non deadman's apparel", also add a box for "allow deadman's apparel" Seems easy, but would allow you to make a stockpile of exclusively non-dead people apparel.

2.)When checking the power grid (by clicking on something connected to the power grid), possibly calculate how much battery life is left given the current percentage. It might say connected rate/stored/hours left. When the rate is positive (and the batteries are charging), it could display the hours left before the batteries become full. This could be useful for figuring out whether you're going to make it through an eclipse/whether you're backup supply is enough after you're batteries discharge in a violent explosion.

3.) Possibly add colonist art in the health tab. This may not count as a cheap idea (because of the art), but it would be cool to be able to see what the colonists look like in a more detailed view complete with facial expressions and clothing. I put this here because each colonist could have "stickers" (I don't know the technical term) layered on top of each other for body type (arms, legs, torso, face, hair), scars(all of the old wounds, actual real wounds), clothing (hats, jackets, more), and weapons. Again, the art alone disqualifies most of this idea from falling within the "1 man hour" mark, but the programming part seems possible if you have the sprites.

Thyme

I tried to add a deadman-apparel filter myself and failed. It can't be too hard to do, I'm no programer tho. Much appreciated feature!
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

GabMSouza

Another idea. Being able to castrate animals, under surgery tab. It would be extremely useful with population control.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dsc on February 19, 2017, 11:24:17 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 17, 2017, 03:14:17 AM
@ dsc  do you mind if I integrate your suggestions / some of your suggestions into my thread ?

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=30599.0

Go for it. :) Maybe stick my name in?

On It, may take a bit I forgot how huge your suggestion was :)
Of course I will credit anyone who contributes ... and I try not to steal any Ideas without asking ..
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

b0rsuk

When there are multiple colonists suffering from something, for example "tattered apparel" or "animal starvation", repeatedly clicking on the notification should cycle you through the pawns or problems.

jpinard

Quote from: corestandeven on February 19, 2017, 02:47:00 PM
1 - a symbol or different colour font in the trade/caravan screen for dead men's clothes. When a trader comes along I'm keen to sell all my clothes worn by corpses (as they have no use to me) and I want keep my spare clothes that my pawns have created. Having a symbol or something to quickly identify in the trade/caravan screen that an item was from a corpse would be a very handy thing.
That's already in the game.  It has a "D" after the name (unless that was added by one of the couple mods I use).

Quote from: tonisn on February 19, 2017, 01:10:43 PM
*HERDING of animals, maybe get dogs to be trained in it. maybe some way to make enclosure for animals.

Already in the game.  Use a wall and set the zone.

Quote from: GabMSouza on February 20, 2017, 11:00:50 AM
Another idea. Being able to castrate animals, under surgery tab. It would be extremely useful with population control.

Nice idea, but you can control population easily for say chickens.  Set a zone for males and a zone for females that don't intersect.  Or just euthanize the males that are born.

jpinard

Quote from: dragonalumni on February 19, 2017, 01:43:03 AM
Please add a "designated camp visitor waiting area zone" -- All too often my visitors are sitting at the front gates getting hit by unfriendly or my own turrets causing a ridiculous and easily avoidable faction loss.

It would be nice if this was the same area where a caravan gets all its supplies in order.  Sometimes my caravans have their rally set so far away from supplies that it takes them so long to gather everything the pawns and animals starve and/or collapse from tiredness.

GabMSouza

Quote from: GabMSouza on February 20, 2017, 11:00:50 AM

Quote from: jpinard on February 20, 2017, 02:09:38 PM
Nice idea, but you can control population easily for say chickens.  Set a zone for males and a zone for females that don't intersect.  Or just euthanize the males that are born.

Well, it is possible for chickens, but think about dogs or other pets, that are bonded with someone. You can't just sell or kill all males/females as this would cause a mood penalty. I'm thinking more on those pets.
I want some puppies to train them to haul, but when they reach a certain population, I would like to be able to stop reproduction without having to isolate any of the dogs and without having to sell or kill them, because of the foretold penalties.

Limenoalik

Maybe adding animal riding, and with it horses? I just wanna be able to charge into the enemy with a rhinoceros mounted by a guy with a machine gun xD

Barazen

Just a reminder, and i know its hard to guess what is cheap on time to code for those of us who are not programmers or have even dabbled in it (myself included)

But Tynan started this post for quick codes he can knock out in maybe an hours work, feel free to check the OP for the details.

For example coding mounts would entail coding the mount behavior, pawn behaviour and priorities, combat behaviours etc.

I know im guilty of over shooting the mark here as well and im sure tynan still loves all the suggestions he gets.

But for some of the grander ideas, maybe its own post to discuss its merits and flesh them out would be better?
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.