Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saw Candyman

New Trade Ship: Gourmet Trader: A Trade Ship that deals exclusively in food items. Will offer rarer foods.
Magic Conch, my least favorite colonist (who has cataracts and is incapable of Dumb Labor) is bleeding to death! What should I do?

"Nothing."

THE MAGIC CONCH HAS SPOKEN!

ranger24

my cheap idea

How about a way to organize the work panel.. I always end up with 2 many colonist and forget who's doing what... it be nice to be able to move colonist up or down in the work page

zenfur

Quote from: ranger24 on September 01, 2015, 10:05:05 AM
my cheap idea

How about a way to organize the work panel.. I always end up with 2 many colonist and forget who's doing what... it be nice to be able to move colonist up or down in the work page

I agree, for substitution of that I rename colonists to suggest what they are doing. You can try it too :)
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

b0rsuk

A hotkey to select the nearest colonist who is neither hungry nor tired.

Saw Candyman

Quote from: b0rsuk on September 01, 2015, 12:02:38 PM
A hotkey to select the nearest colonist who is neither hungry nor tired.
We need this. This is genius. You have one my undying support for this cause.
Magic Conch, my least favorite colonist (who has cataracts and is incapable of Dumb Labor) is bleeding to death! What should I do?

"Nothing."

THE MAGIC CONCH HAS SPOKEN!

b0rsuk

People have been asking for a food selector on colonist similar to medicine selector. I have another idea which may result in less micromanagement:

Set allowed food for rooms.

- Instead of selecting each prisoner individually and choosing what he can eat, select the whole prison room and determine what prisoners in that room are getting. Will even affect future prisoners.
- Select a (dining) room and choose what gets eaten there. Colonists who want to eat within the range of that dining room will only select that food.
- colonists who want to eat in the field are... a problem ?

--------------------

Colonists who must eat raw food (no meals, no working nutrient paste dispenser) should prioritize corn and strawberries.

Zobaken

1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.
2. Add bridges to move above water, also some kind of floating platforms to build constructions on water. I hope we'll be able to dig for oil in the future.
3. Stairs (for basements and 2nd floors).

king komodo

Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.
2. Add bridges to move above water, also some kind of floating platforms to build constructions on water. I hope we'll be able to dig for oil in the future.
3. Stairs (for basements and 2nd floors).

1) I've never seen raiders do that so it may be a bug.
2) 100% agree on the bridge part, I don't see much use for oil though I'm certain someone, somewhere will come up with a reason so may not be bad.
3) it has already been stated that Z-levels will not be added so sorry but there will be no stairs.

Jonarific

Long time player, first time poster.

I enjoy the idea of expanding trade and have been thinking about a very simple idea to do so.

Cash Crops

The idea to just add a few more crops with different properties.
The big three are sugar, tobacco, coffee all of it could easily be done via "growing zone -> select type"

Personally, I have never grown more than few lucky devilstrand mushrooms to full. Generally, a solar flare will kill my hydroponics with mushrooms and make me cry. If growing outside, winter and summer pose their own challenges, 45 days is just so long.

I often get my money by farming and selling extra food early on, with enough colonists, I eventually start to produce art, clothing, and cook surplus meals.

While this type of wealth generation is functional, I think expanding the opportunities to get more silver to trade would be good. Having an extra field to the side with the idea of profits, or potentially joy producing goods, adds a bit of character to the colony. The main way for colonies to get resources is via export, while I realize what I'm about to say is a real life example, and Rimworld isn't "real life," I think taking into account that some economies heavily dependent on exports (i.e. every Rimworld colony ever) will grow cash crops for export is a good idea.

Something to have for export between the inexpensive potato to the (for me, at least) nearly impossible to grow devilstrand, would be a welcome addition.

For the colonies advocating for agrarianism, having more sources of joy you can produce for yourself is always good too. The chocolate is already in the game, so I hope this idea can be considered a  "cheap idea" with easy implementation beyond needing to make a bit of new art work.

Zobaken

Quote from: king komodo on September 02, 2015, 01:17:28 AM
2) 100% agree on the bridge part, I don't see much use for oil though I'm certain someone, somewhere will come up with a reason so may not be bad.
Fuel production for vehicles or portative generators, for example.

Jorlem

When a colonist breaks and starts stripping or drops their weapon, they should remember it and reequip what they dropped once they come out of their daze, so long as it hasn't been moved.

Also, small animals like hares and Yorkshire terriers should try to flee from berserk colonists.  They die far too easily when a berserker targets them.  Alternatively, if they are assigned to the berserker, perhaps they could try to nuzzle them out of their berserk state?

Kian

New building material (for walls only)
Compressed Earth Block (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_block)

Earth walls are one of the oldest, simplest building materials. There is dirt pretty much everywhere. Compress it and you have a strong, fireproof, cheap building material.

Could be produced at a hydraulic press. Faster to make than stone blocks and do not require chunks of stone (the colonist could animate digging for a moment perhaps to represent acquiring dirt?) they can be used to create fireproof walls that, alas, are also not as strong as stone walls.

tl;dr
Earth Block Walls
Produce earth blocks at hydraulic press
faster to make than stone blocks
weaker than stone blocks
fireproof

twoski

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

Probably been suggested, but I've always thought it would be nice to prioritise what things people focus on hauling, such as miners hauling the things they've been mining, and plant-growers/cutters focusing on harvested crops. I often end up with miners running off and mining a load of stuff that's been designated, and then it just sits there for ages and people tend to ignore it.

MultiDavid

Mech Suits, people use them and get buffs. ( inspired by Alien 2/Aliens )