Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

-there should be an option to change the storyteller AI in mid game so people don't have to start a new game when things start to get dull or if things start to get too hectic.

-during the start of the game : there should be options for randomizing character values (ie: tick boxes to choose between random gender, age, job, etc) rather than randomizing all of the values all at the same time.

-convert scraps to metal : (maybe researchers can do it, so they don't become useless in the end game)

------------------------

-when dropping stuff to complexly shaped dumping zones (ie: a singular dump zone surrounding the base perimeter), the haulers sometimes just drops the debris near the dump zone rather than inside of it. (might be better suited to bug report)

-demolishing mount everest : how high are those mountains? lol. i mined a mountain section twice a game day for several game months. i want it gone, but holy carp it's still there.. maddening.
maybe there should be indicators or something showing how high a mountain is or something, other than that misleading shadow. haha.

-anyways, that's it.

GrimTrigger

Without knowing the level of difficulty in implementing this 'feature', I would greatly appreciate the capability to Select/De-Select all Job Assignments to Colonists, whether it be in standard or Manual Priority, additionally, to be able to "Lock" the assignment of certain colonists.  I find myself spending a lot of time unselecting the jobs assigned to my colonists only to re-prioritize what I need them to do.  Hopefully this is an easy to implement option, and a valuable suggestion.

keylocke

oops. i got another cheap idea i forgot to add.

for example : an eclipse just started and my batteries were running low. so to conserve energy i started to turn off unnecessary electrical objects. but the problem with this, is that it's too menial and 'micromanagey'.

how about if there's an option to just choose 'critical' priority objects for electricity? this way players don't have to manually turn on/off a zillion objects when their batteries are low. players can just assign priority powered objects, and these will always stay active unless you completely run out of juice.

ghosttr

Idk how easy these are, but here goes.

Automatic lights, outdoor lights only come on at night, indoor lights that go off when people goto bed (without negative effects ofc)

Setting that toggles 'dropped' items to be forbidden by default or not.

Benny the Icepick

Just started playing last night after watching several hours of videos.  What a terrific, engaging game!

Most of the ideas posted here have to do with gameplay, but I have a few suggestions for the interface itself.

First of all, it's really, REALLY hard to see weapons and other items that have been dropped.  Some sort of graphical element - a dashed border, or occasional "blink" perhaps - would alert you to the fact that there is something with which your colonists can interact.

Secondly, it can get really challenging to keep up with all of your colonists.  At times, when they occupy the same space, it's difficult to select one instead of the other.  I would like to see a panel that lists each colonist and their current tasks, perhaps even their health status.  Clicking on a name will center the character on the screen and select them.  This could even be built into the existing Overview pane.

EDIT:  A similar panel would be useful for buildings and equipment.  I would like to see a list of elements that need to be repaired/cleaned, and a list of equipment that can be toggled.  For instance, if I am running short on power, I can go into this panel and click all interior lights to "off."  Again, clicking on an item name will center it in the view, so if there's something on fire I can find it right away.

Nasikabatrachus

Unpleasant thoughts for butchering human corpses. It only makes sense.

Tynan

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on February 27, 2014, 12:00:58 PM
Unpleasant thoughts for butchering human corpses. It only makes sense.

Yeah, good idea.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

GrimTrigger

Quote from: keylocke on February 26, 2014, 08:23:52 PM

for example : an eclipse just started and my batteries were running low. so to conserve energy i started to turn off unnecessary electrical objects. but the problem with this, is that it's too menial and 'micromanagey'.

how about if there's an option to just choose 'critical' priority objects for electricity? this way players don't have to manually turn on/off a zillion objects when their batteries are low. players can just assign priority powered objects, and these will always stay active unless you completely run out of juice.

I see where you're coming from with this, however, an alternative to designating priority to individual items, that I've found seems to work well for me, is I zoom out to span the size of my base/compound/facility and just double click on the lights and hit V to shut them all off.  I do the same with the doors.  That usually does the trick for me.

Milltio

After seeing the update and the new things, I just thought of something.  Mobile Turrets.

FowlJ

Quote from: Milltio on February 27, 2014, 03:30:18 PM
After seeing the update and the new things, I just thought of something.  Mobile Turrets.

So... Guns?

Milltio

Quote from: FowlJ on February 27, 2014, 04:49:07 PM
Quote from: Milltio on February 27, 2014, 03:30:18 PM

So... Guns?

No, a Mobile Turret, a turret that could be placed, and then redeployed when required without having to deconstruct and rebuild them.

Japzzi

More enemies would be a nice addition. Killing the same ''Generic Raider Joe Nr. 1'' time and time again gets abit boring. More disasters! How about some diseases? Or how about Storms?.

Tents would be cool aswell!. Now that I come to think about it, it would be cool if you could make a sort of tribal colony.. Living in tents, hunting muffalos! Capturing passers by and trading them for guns and food?.

Talking about passers by.. How about the drifters dosent just walk from one end of the map to another how about they sometimes stay for awhile? If they are wounded get healed and maybe get a bite of nutrident paste or two. (Or human flesh if you are such a colony...).

Travelling merchants! Not just space ships flying around but merchants who come and go on foot? And and!... Oh? What? Am I ranting? Is my writing style to annoying? To big ideas?.. Oh.. Well.. Raiders have just landed again so I gotta go! Been nice chatting! *runs off with his Lee-Einfield*

Thoughtless

I don't know if it's been said anywhere, but this thread is 45 pages deep.

-A big a** hole to dump bodies in. (In Random Randy I've been playing for about 300 in-game days and I've buried 100+ bodies, it's just taking up too much room.)

keylocke

Quote from: GrimTrigger on February 27, 2014, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: keylocke on February 26, 2014, 08:23:52 PM

I see where you're coming from with this, however, an alternative to designating priority to individual items, that I've found seems to work well for me, is I zoom out to span the size of my base/compound/facility and just double click on the lights and hit V to shut them all off.  I do the same with the doors.  That usually does the trick for me.

nice. thanks for the tip. i realized that even with the ability to set critical objects for energy priority, non-essential objects would still drain the energy grid if left active.

keylocke

Quote from: Thoughtless on February 28, 2014, 03:15:10 AM
I don't know if it's been said anywhere, but this thread is 45 pages deep.

-A big a** hole to dump bodies in. (In Random Randy I've been playing for about 300 in-game days and I've buried 100+ bodies, it's just taking up too much room.)

since i don't think decomposition has been coded in yet. what i usually do is have a dump pile dedicated to human corpses. then i draft someone with a frag grenade and then force fire at the bodies. (though i sometimes use molotovs instead just so i can watch them burn... mwahahaha...)