Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

liack

Not sure if cheap or not, but a change in the meal bill UI.
Add +x meal at  y o'clock (or every z hour, or every day). It's one of the things I do most often manually.

Austupaio

Apply the same image display used for banners in the Mods menu to the Research menu. Just a little display that maybe shows the research relevant items or some sort of concept art.

Skipgagnon

Sion

Easy: A colonist counter, it simply displays how many colonists you have in the colony, so you no longer need to count 30+ colonists in the Overview menu.
Easy: Raider counter, same as above but for raiders.

Medium: Options to sort the colonists in the Overview menu alphabetically.
Advanced: Also sort by a certain skill (including shooting ability), by equipped weapon, order of joining the colony, mental state (god, bad and total), more?

So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Nasikabatrachus

I suggest that fear should raise the loyalty/mental break threshold over time. It would make sense that, say, chronic fear from knowing people are being executed and seeing corpses all the time would make one more likely to undergo a mental break.

king komodo

I would like to see a way to help those factions you are friends with that decide to help you when you get attacked by being able to pick up their incapacitated fighters and heal them with out putting the arresting/capturing them and having the faction hate you.

SSS

• It's been mentioned a number of times before, including recently, but melee weapons would make melee more relevant after you've gotten guns. Possibilities include knives, swords, nunchuks, brass knuckles, etc.

• While we're at it, melee should result in fewer deaths as well: If you're going to risk running up to someone with a gun/bomb, you better have a flippin' good reason.

• I don't know if this is cheap or not, but a speed stat would be nice. As it is, catching raiders who are fleeing is difficult unless you have doors all over the place, which they seem to be attracted to (and if they run through the door they broke down on the way in- forget it). Speed could also help you decide which colonists should be walking half-way across the map to mine ore.

• Very small chance for insta-kill when shooting someone; increases (nominally) with shooting skill/(greatly) with reduced range, making close-range gun combat risky.

• A rare(?) trait for colonists that like sleeping on the floor could be fun.

• Again, I don't know if this is cheap, but global forbid/unforbid options would be nice.

• Unhappy thoughts if out in the rain too long

• Make raiders less likely to shoot unpowered turrets. This makes solar flares more lethal, and could also allow for traps.

• One-way doors for raiders. I like trap-making opportunities. :3

• "Core" and "extended" home zones. You could mostly use the same code for each, but make colonists prioritize cleaning and fighting fires in the "core home" area.

• Research that allows boomrats to be killed non-explosively (perhaps by melee only?)... unless you like the idea of mad boomrats exploding in our front door, in which case... xD

• Firefighting buff research. 'Nuff said.

• As others have mentioned, preferred and hated tasks.

• Another remention- more personal items, such as doors, stoves, etc.

• Remention 3.0: Colonists that prefer sleeping during the day.

• Ability to mine roofs in caves, to prevent dangerous roof collapses. It could be a research item.

That's all for now. 'Hope I didn't over-do the yellow. ^-^;

FtDLulz

All of those ideas are great. Tynan is in the process of implementing one or two of those I think, such as a buff to Firefighting that you can research.

Nasikabatrachus

I have a couple keyboard shortcut suggestions.

1. I love making time lapse series of my progress in building/colonizing/etc. type games, but in RimWorld making these can be challenging because it's hard to get perfectly consistent camera zoom levels and fields of view over time.

I suggest adding the ability to define camera warp points assigned to e.g. the function keys. This also has more practical uses.

An example of how I might use such a thing:

F1: Local awarenes: A view centered on my colony's most important areas, zoomed in enough that I can see unit counts on individual stacks of resources
F2: Situational awareness: A high view, not centered on the colony, which would allow me to search the map quickly when there are running events I'd like to keep track of (fights between factions on the map, etc).
F3: A view suitable for showing broad changes in the structure of my colony over time.

2. I also suggest using the number keys for building categories in the Architect menu. The advantages of particular shortcuts aren't that great when you're switching between clicking options and pressing the keyboard; I often just click, even when there's a keyboard shortcut, just because I'm already clicking anyway.

Sion

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on May 03, 2014, 03:05:27 AM
I have a couple keyboard shortcut suggestions.

1. I love making time lapse series of my progress in building/colonizing/etc. type games, but in RimWorld making these can be challenging because it's hard to get perfectly consistent camera zoom levels and fields of view over time.

I suggest adding the ability to define camera warp points assigned to e.g. the function keys. This also has more practical uses.

An example of how I might use such a thing:

F1: Local awarenes: A view centered on my colony's most important areas, zoomed in enough that I can see unit counts on individual stacks of resources
F2: Situational awareness: A high view, not centered on the colony, which would allow me to search the map quickly when there are running events I'd like to keep track of (fights between factions on the map, etc).
F3: A view suitable for showing broad changes in the structure of my colony over time.

2. I also suggest using the number keys for building categories in the Architect menu. The advantages of particular shortcuts aren't that great when you're switching between clicking options and pressing the keyboard; I often just click, even when there's a keyboard shortcut, just because I'm already clicking anyway.

How about a way to manually add the camera warp points wherever you want them?
Something like Ctrl + Shift + 1 to set "1" to a certain warp point, and Ctrl + Shift + 2 to another point, and so on.
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Melon

First of all. i just join this awesome big family today and try the alpha. I had some ideas and come here to post them, i try to read all of this post to see if its already posted (but its to big), so first of all sorry if i repeat some.
my couple of ideas:

• Mass grave: a 3x3 grave where u can burry a lot of bodies
  • Corpse incinerator: just what the name says, an item to incinerate a corpse (could be researched)
  • Cattle fence: a wall that people can pass through but not large animals
  • Animal fenced area: a new area for animals (must be fenced)
  • (Expensive one) Tame mufalos: Ability to tame mufalos and lead them to a fenced area
  • (Expensive one) Milking the mufalos: Ability to milk "domestic" mufalos (inside cattle fence) as food source

Ruin

First, let me say that I really love the game as is.  I really feel like I got value for my purchase, a rare event these days.  So, kudos to you Tynan. Nice job!  A few thing that might (or might not) make it better:

• Ability to assign colonists to beds manually.  They pick them automatically (like the current system) but, you have the ability to override their choice.  It would just be easier than flipping "for prisoner/colonist use" on and off to get them to change.  That way, you can put the high-social guy next to the communications gear, the high cooking guy next to the stove, etc.
      • A switch to easily turn off solar flares or a mechanic to mitigate its effects (perhaps a researched technology; maybe even shielded conduits and hardened electronics … but, this is beginning to sound not all that easy).  If raiders scale with turrets, solar flares mean you will just die horribly if you use a bunch of turrets and the solar flare goes off.  The two mechanics don’t work well together.  Personally, I prefer a tower defense play-style with a few turrets (say 4 turrets in a colony of 12 guys).  It is not a wise play style with the current solar flare mechanic.
      • Some researchable technology to prevent or warn of orbital raider drops right on your head (e.g. a no drop zone or a drop warning radar).  Even if you totally dig into the mountain, you have to go outside for trading.  Every once in a while there is an orbital drop of twice your number in bad guys right on top of your head with no warning.  Any colonists outside just die right away.  There is no mechanic or smart way of play to save them (at least that I have found; maybe I am missing something and just being clueless).  This seems a bit too arbitrary to me.  I hate having to load a saved game (feels like cheating) just because half my guys decided to step outside for the wrong hour.  Now, I don’t mind the horde from the edge of the map that overwhelms me.  That just means my defenses sucked, I needed better choke points, etc.  But, just having them drop on my head with no chance for half my colony to survive seems wrong somehow.
      • No-go zones for colonists.  They will no enter these zones unless specifically ordered to.  For example, this would enable you to put barbed wire in an area and then not have your colonists go running through it until they die.

And, a few from the mods I love:

• Cremation chambers : I gave up butchering the fiends when I had a few thousand human meat lying around.  Even if I tried using Galatic Trader to crate them up, cannibal ships are so darn rare.  Easier to just cremate them.  I am not find of making the huge dumps and tossing a cocktail on them.  My early games ended up with the map looking like a cemetery.  Also, not fun.  This would be a nice add to the core game and does not seem balance breaking in any significant way.
  • BetterPower+: Steam vent drills and buried conduits.
  • Embrasures.  It does not seem game breaking.  We had murder holes in medieval architecture.  Surely, the colonists can make a hole in a wall to shoot through.
  • Turret Pack: Turret progression through research similar to the mod.  But, balanced and accounted for by the AI.  New turrets are great fun for me.
  • Synthmeat: Got to love Solyent Green!  Waiting for Muffalo to spawn and hunting them is a pain.  In the absence of some sort of livestock mechanic, this is as good as it gets.  And it feels just gritty enough for the Rimworld universe.  It is sort of labor intensive until a few colonists get high medical skills but, not that bad really.  I does not seem too balance breaking.
  • Workplaces: The blacksmith table is a real sweet deal.  If I am not overwhelmed, I always end up with hundreds of weapons I can’t sell (the traders don’t have enough cash) littering the ground.  Melting them down, even if it consumes a lot of labor, at least cleans up my map.  Now, the weaponsmith table might be balance breaking although I love it.  In the end, everyone has a minigun or M24 (or whatever weapon you want to roll with).  The only issue is training up of a crafter if you don’t find a good one.  But, good weapons seem required for some of the later spawns.  Some of this should be incorporated into the main game.
Good luck with the game and great job so far.  I have really enjoyed playing and am looking forward to A4.

Ghost Shadow

While playing the game, I notice that to improve a neutral/friendly faction's relationship, you must pay silver. This can get really expensive very quickly. What about adding events like 'a (natural disaster) has struck a neighboring tribe and request X amount of food and/or metal', or even some thing like 'a friendly tribe is under attack by a rival tribe (or local animals) and are requesting assistance' (who will you send, and will they survive?[maybe]). This can help relieve the player the pressure of the expensive 'friendly gift'. But still a good option if the player wants a small boost in their relationship to acquire some help. There can be other help requests from friendly tribes other than military support, such as food drops or trade options. Not sure if this has been added or not, but do animals reproduce yet or are they a limited 'resource' at the moment?

SSS

Quote from: Ruin on May 05, 2014, 03:06:41 AM
...Personally, I prefer a tower defense play-style with a few turrets (say 4 turrets in a colony of 12 guys).  It is not a wise play style with the current solar flare mechanic...

Some researchable technology to prevent or warn of orbital raider drops right on your head (e.g. a no drop zone or a drop warning radar).  Even if you totally dig into the mountain, you have to go outside for trading.  Every once in a while there is an orbital drop of twice your number in bad guys right on top of your head with no warning.  Any colonists outside just die right away.  There is no mechanic or smart way of play to save them (at least that I have found; maybe I am missing something and just being clueless).  This seems a bit too arbitrary to me.  I hate having to load a saved game (feels like cheating) just because half my guys decided to step outside for the wrong hour.  Now, I don�t mind the horde from the edge of the map that overwhelms me.  That just means my defenses sucked, I needed better choke points, etc.  But, just having them drop on my head with no chance for half my colony to survive seems wrong somehow.

A bit off-topic, but I've used the opposite strategy to fairly good effect: Build a ridiculous amount of turrets (with sandbag protection). You see, more raiders spawn when you have turrets because turrets slow raiders down significantly. While they're busy firing at the turret, you can flank them, slim their numbers from afar, etc. If you build many turrets, the attacking force is essentially deadlocked until they've destroyed all of the turrets or you've taken things up-close-and-personal.

Because I built so many turrets, raiders jumping in on top of the colony are at a disadvantage because they're completely surrounded by guns before my colonists even act. In my experience, even with the significant numbers disadvantage, the tactical advantage given by the turrets splinters the raiding group fairly quickly, which makes the attack much more manageable. Stick to the M-24 sniper rifle, miniguns, and (for close range affairs) either the R4 charge rifle or LMG. (If you can't get those, try for M16s and Uzis.) The turrets will handle the rest. The downside is, naturally, that you'll be rebuilding your turrets and sandbags fairly often.

If you don't have/want turrets, the best you can do (in my experience) is break your colony into sections where the colonists can retreat to if they're in danger. Beware large open spaces. Even in a worst-case scenario, it's better to have your base burned to the ground than a genocide. /offtopic

kdfsjljklgjfg

King-sized beds for more happiness. Just put 2 beds next to each other.