Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henk

Don't know if it's cheap, but at least you may consider these at some point later :)

* Allow assigning specific pawn to a workstation, so others don't take it's place. And if pawn got a time for a crafting job, it first checks assigned workstation(s) and then go crafting other stuff if assigned ones are not available for any reason;
* Option in crematorium to either burn corpses as is or auto-stripping them first right before burning.
** Mass unforbid/selection unforbid - it's a pain clicking through every item after the massive raid...
** Allow designating hauling tasks to normal items, not only chunks, so one can order pawns to quickly cleanup specific area instead of waiting 'till they'll haul those few chunks half a map away;
** Allow designating specific area for prioritized cleanup, so pawns with cleanup tasks enabled will clean selected area as a high priority job;
** Implement FIFO/LIFO (and an option to choose between the two) for construct/mine/haul/etc orders. Very often there's a situation when you need those damn walls and/or turrets ASAP, but builders go elsewhere to build that stupid floor... And you have to click "prioritize" for every sneeze they make or cancel ALL other build jobs! You prioritize for blueprint, then you prioritize AGAIN for a project, then for another hauling, and then for the actual building process! This is extremely frustrating. With LIFO they'll do your latest order first, with FIFO - well, it's default behaviour atm i guess. And that leads me to the most important rant...
*** When you prioritize some task (like prioritizing building a wall, a turret, or an GT generator), make pawns work on it until it's totally complete without switching for other construct jobs after every two damn pieces of steel hauled. The most annoying aspect of the game so far.
* Allow specifying priority for crafting stations: when you have 2 crafters and 5 jobs on different workstations - there should be a way to prioritize 'em - one would need iron from slag more than a cloth from cotton, and parka crafted more than stone blocks cut.
* Same goes for construction tasks;
* Uranium powered powerplants & "refueling" mechanics (crafting without crafter?).
* Add coal as a mineable resource & coal/wood fueled powerplants;
* Rename steel to iron & add steel as a result of smelting 2 iron + 1 coal;
* "Oil geyser", eats power, needs crafter, provides plastic. Plastic + steel = plasteel.
* Implement ores maybe?..
* Gold/silver sink is dramatically needed. Jewelry. Decays (wears out) with time. Add happiness based on durability level. Wears our pretty fast (one year for silver, one season for gold?)
* Burrows ;) Basically, a button to order all pawns outside Home Zone to stop all tasks, retreat to Home Zone and don't leave it until threat level is cancelled.
* A Flamethrower ;D

(now some really cheap ones :D )
* Window: acts as sandbags, keeps heat and room integrity, looks like a glass, provides some beauty.
* Torch: light source, no heat, lasts a week or two.
* "Keep open" function for a doors.
* One way door.
* Spike trap. Wooden, steel (iron), plasteel variants. Unpowered, wears out with use (one-time use maybe?).
* A Lunch. During lunch hours if a food is found in the nearest 20 blocks - go grab some and eat on the way, with no stopping.
* Option (a hotkey?) to completely hide/show power cables.
* We have a hotkey to bring up the "Architect" menu, but I've found no hotkey to switch between categories... Hm?
* A power lever/switch to easily cut off sections of the power grid.
* Powered moveable walls. Powered = up, unpowered = lowered.
* Colored cables maybe? For easier powergrid logistics.
* Brain implant for fixing brain injuries, with AI Core as main ingredient.
* Temperature balancer/heat vent for centralized heating/cooling while keeping privacy.
* Manned turret: child of sin between mortar and a turret: manned, low rate of fire, no cooldown, costs a hell lot of resources (a few thousands of steel maybe?) and need a lot of power to function;
* Make parka also lower MaxConfortableTemp: if you feel fine in -45 in it, it should be heartstroke-hot in +15.

** & *** are most critical ones, I think...

MikhailBoho

Can you add a pop-up that says "If I continue mining here/if I deconstruct this, the roof is bound to cave in! - Proceed?" whenever the player is about to cause a cave in (with an option to disable it for the pros that no what they're doing)?

kasimirtlw

some i thought of  last night

storage boxes that have predefined  space  like 1 box holds 4 to 8 garments
or Armament boxes each can hold 4 times the same weapon
when you click on it  a screen loads a la Ultima where you see a surface with the items on it ready to interact with

traps   like team rocket makes in pokemon:

- a pit trap to slow down or knock Unconscious  the assailant
- gas grenades with sleep gas

Rikiki

Slight modification of the bill "Do until X" option (I know recipes with special products will never be able to use this option).
Currently, recipes which have multiple predefined output products cannot use the "Do until X" option.
The game should only watch the first output product.

In term of code, in RecipeDef.CanUseTargetCount, replace this:
return this.specialProducts == null && this.products != null && this.products.Count == 1 && this.products[0].thingDef.CountAsResource;
by this:
return this.specialProducts == null && this.products != null && this.products[0].thingDef.CountAsResource;

Eleazar

After my second day of play...

More contextual menu options.  This seems easier than moving through the menus. For instance, if I want to prioritize an unmarked chunk, there are a bunch of key presses or clicks required.  Wouldn't it just be nicer to to right click and select between:
* mark for hauling
* prioritize hauling

And when I'm prioritizing a job, it's good that it tells us somebody else is working on it, but we should still be able to give that job to the pawn we originally intended without first diverting the pawn that already had it.

Also is there any reason we need to claim part of preexisting walls before dismantling them?  Where's the benefit? Is there a reason for haveing an ownership mechanic when there's a home zone?

People have asked for a unforbid selection tool to clean up after raids, but perhaps it would be simpler to have any items that fall in the home zone to be unforbidden from the start?

Robesidian

Traps! For catching animals for butchering or like pitfalls and cave-in traps!

CrazyTalk

Quote from: Tynan on January 08, 2015, 02:45:59 AM
Quote from: fluffy_543 on January 06, 2015, 06:12:02 AM
I saw in the changelog that apparel now has durability. It would be great if durability would decrease dramatically when shot at. This would make the clothes you strip from corpses much less valuable and make crafting more important for survival, especially in winter biomes.

You've nailed the exact reason apparel has durability now :)

I'm desperate trying to balance the absurd economy that appears when you're killing dozens of raiders.

Tynan - I think you're trying to fix the wrong issue - the late game economy issues aren't the problem - the ease at which dozens of raiders can be murdered is the problem. This issue is, IMO, mainly caused by the fact that they run like lemmings into the breach - over and over - like in DF.

My suggestion is you make raiders more likely to run when they take heavy losses quickly - and have each hostile faction keep a simple threat heatmap - and have raiders avoid areas where there have been lots of kills. If a door is blocked by a really hot spot, they attack a wall/vent/etc somewhere else. Killrooms will get less effective as they get used more against a particular faction, but new attacking factions will fall into the same old traps for a while.

(That totally doesn't fit in the cheap suggestions though)

I'd like to see a toggle-able "Mountain Above" overlay - so I can tell if where I'm digging is going to get me sky (and I can build solar).

There are a whole bunch of things in the mods that really should be standard code - vents, etc. Start going through those.

Every time a colonist gets injured/etc, they drop their weapons and that weapon is marked as forbid, and then you manually have to re-equip them. Fix that.

I'd like to see some sort of non-electric power source - some sort of fuel. Heat pumps (coolers) are drastically more efficient than (electric heaters) in real life - but almost useless for heating in very cold temperatures - where alternate fuels are generally used. (IE, I've got a heat pump and a pellet stove in my house - the pellet stove takes the brunt below freezing)

Ductwork

Zilch

An easier way to kill/deactivate 100+ mechanoids.
Melee is crap lol

BokaliMali

If you go into the incapacitated mech's health tab you can add an operation to shut it down. It's prioritized as repairing and you don't have to micromanage drafting pawns.

MikhailBoho

Reinforced conduits that are are as strong as stone walls, so that they don't die on one mortar hit. Maybe a plasteel coating, or a research project... or both?

Also, from what I can tell colonists prioritize construction jobs in the roughly the order they were first placed. I would love it if I could be able to set specific (or a huge group) of constructions as low priority or high priority. With this, I could for instance set rebuilding destroyed conduits that has left half of my colony in darkness as a high priority construction while setting the expansion to our walls for a new storehouse as a low priority one. Right now, I have to cancel the low priority construction or lock my colonists in the area I want them to build the high priority one in, but that can be pretty tedious.

Mystic

I'd like to see a "ventilation grate" type of construction added - made of steel and providing some level of resistance against the entry of an attacker (not as much as a steel wall, but at least some), while allowing outside air through mostly or entirely unimpeded.  The main usefulness of this would be to be able to construct ventilation ducts/shafts/passages within one's base that are ventilated with outside air (in order to run air conditioners deep inside the base, for example), without also requiring such shafts to be a completely open entry point to the base for any attacker.

That would be the cheap version.  Going just a wee a little further, one could differentiate between cheap, unpowered grates which only allow a percentage of outside air in, and more expensive, powered grates (i.e., with fans installed) that require a connection to electricity but provide more complete ventilation with the outside air.

MyNameIsSpyder

Here's one, simple fix; make colonists not eat survival meals first. They should stockpile those for food shortages, not eat them when they could be eating home-made boiled potatoes.

MyNameIsSpyder

Also, please make it so you can trade anything on the map if you have a single trade beacon, but your colonists would have to carry it there.

Mihsan

Quote from: Mystic on January 10, 2015, 12:30:44 PM
I'd like to see a "ventilation grate" type of construction added - made of steel and providing some level of resistance against the entry of an attacker (not as much as a steel wall, but at least some), while allowing outside air through mostly or entirely unimpeded.  The main usefulness of this would be to be able to construct ventilation ducts/shafts/passages within one's base that are ventilated with outside air (in order to run air conditioners deep inside the base, for example), without also requiring such shafts to be a completely open entry point to the base for any attacker.

That would be the cheap version.  Going just a wee a little further, one could differentiate between cheap, unpowered grates which only allow a percentage of outside air in, and more expensive, powered grates (i.e., with fans installed) that require a connection to electricity but provide more complete ventilation with the outside air.

Why making this, when you can make shaft and just make one tile w/o roof on the end of it?
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Zilch

Quote from: BokaliMali on January 10, 2015, 04:27:31 AM
If you go into the incapacitated mech's health tab you can add an operation to shut it down.

I'm serious when I said 100+ mechs, adding that many shutdown bills sucks big time.
Incapped mechs can be targeted for hunting, but the pawns dont actually go 'hunt' them. Maybe adding them to the hunting list could work.