[Project] Zombie Defence Core Replacement Mod [Discontinued]

Started by ItchyFlea, February 19, 2014, 08:23:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

This project has been shelved.
I highly recommend grabbing and playing this mod: Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse
It's pretty much what I wanted to make here, and much more. :D

Previous contents of this post:

[center][u][b][size=18pt]Zombie Defence Core Replacement Mod[/size][/b][/u][/center]

[b][u]Preamble:[/u][/b]
Instead of relying on specific maps for the Zombie Defence Scenario, I would much rather make a mod so that the scenario is not limited to one single world. There are a few other features I want to add, which should now be possible with .xml and .dll mods.

[b][u]Project Goal:[/u][/b]
Create a mod that replaces the RimWorld Core content with my own for the purpose of creating zombie survival scenarios. The zombies will behave like raiders, so that dealing with/to them is controlled by a "fair" storyteller rather than the unfair rules I set out in the CustomScenario's.

[u][b]Differences between this mod and the RimWorld Core:[/b][/u]
Quite a lot.
All the factions are made up of zombies, and all of them will hate you.
I haven't really been keeping track of the changes.  :-\

[b][u]Expected Release Date/Time:[/u][/b]
[url=http://www.wowwiki.com/Soon]Soon.[/url]
To be serious: I don't know.

[b][u]Development Version Download:[/u][/b]
[url=http://www.mediafire.com/download/r56kr8kk0lsqn92/Zombie_Core_v0.11.7z]Zombie Core[/url]
Highly unfinished. All this basically has done is replaced the factions with "zombie" factions that really hate you. (They have no tabs, so if you capture one, you'll never be able to recruit it.)

[b][u]Things to note:[/u][/b]
Because this replaces the RimWorld Core Mod, the vast majority of mods will [b][u]not[/u][/b] work when you are running this mod. At best they work as intended, at worst they'll crash the game as soon as you start it. The most likely outcome will be a huge number of errors when you activate the mod.

Previous contents of this post:
[center][u][b][size=18pt]Zombie Defence Storyteller[/size][/b][/u][/center]

[b][u]Preamble:[/u][/b]
Instead of relying on specific maps for the Zombie Defence scenario, I would much rather make a Storyteller to control them so that the scenario is not limited to one single world. There are quite a few other features I've been wanting to add, that might be possible in RimWorld Alpha 2.

[b][u]Project Goal:[/u][/b]
Create a new Storyteller that periodically spawns zombie hordes to attack your colonists with ever increasing numbers, perhaps with a chance to "infect" colonists so that they must either be quarantined or killed.
I would like the zombies to behave similar to zombies from the Walking Dead TV series.

[u][b]Changes from traditional Storytellers:[/b][/u]
� No psychotic animal events.

[b][u]Other changes:[/u][/b]
� Turret-like stationary weapons that need to be manned to work.
� Dead zombie incinerators. (Maybe as a form of power generation?)
� Travellers bring knowledge of weapons/tactics that are effective against the zombies.

[b][u]Project Phases:[/u][/b]
� Planning.
� Programming.
� Testing.
� Balancing.
� Release.
� Feedback Improvements/Balancing.

[b][u]Current Phase:[/u][/b]
[color=yellow]On Hold.[/color]

[b][u]Expected Release Date/Time:[/u][/b]
Impossible to determine until after the release of Alpha 2.

[u][b]Notes:[/b][/u]
� The focus of balancing will be from the standpoint that you are not using this mod in conjunction with other mods.

[center]Got any features you'd like to see? Tell me below.[/center]

[center][size=18pt][color=yellow]Project Status: On Hold[/color][/size][/center]
[center]This project isn't possible in Alpha 2, at least not in the way I want to do it.
This project will remain on hold until Alpha 3.[/center]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

TimMartland

In order to stop the player being overwhelmed, you should probably give them +1 extra starting colonist and some more guns (An extra lee enfield, or a pump shotgun maybe?). Good luck with creating this, although you will probably need to wait for Alpha 2 to do this.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

TronPrime1

If you need someone to help with texturing custom items, PM me, I'd love to be a part of this.

ItchyFlea

I'll definitely take you up on that offer TronPrime1. I can't draw to save myself, and have a few mod ideas that will require quite a few textures.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Entityofsin

I suspect that without any sort of funneling of zombies into a choke point, bases are going to get over run pretty quickly. Weapons like UZI is going to be pretty essential and it will make the Pistol and Shotgun completely useless cause of their bad accuracy and lack of area they spray into.

I am not sure if you're looking into changing the weapons so they fire multiple times or what but have to keep in mind how many zombies the player is going to be facing and how quickly each wave grows in size. Cause pistols, lee enfields, and shotguns aren't going to cut it at all.

keylocke

hmm.. now that alpha 2 is released, is this mod good to go? where do i sign up?  :)

ItchyFlea

May I suggest reading the OP? This project is on hold until alpha 3, as alpha 2 doesn't provide the level of control I require to modify the storyteller to do what I wanted to do. Alpha 3 on the other hand, should allow me to create my own storyteller from scratch. :)

Ender

I am excited for this mod as i loved the first zombie defense map.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

iame6162013

Quote from: ItchyFlea on March 03, 2014, 03:23:11 PM
May I suggest reading the OP? This project is on hold until alpha 3, as alpha 2 doesn't provide the level of control I require to modify the storyteller to do what I wanted to do. Alpha 3 on the other hand, should allow me to create my own storyteller from scratch. :)

but aren't u a alpha 3 tester?
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

ItchyFlea

Quote from: iame6162013 on March 30, 2014, 10:05:22 AM
I am. However this project will continue to remain on hold until after the official release of Alpha 3.  :)

iame6162013

Quote from: ItchyFlea on April 02, 2014, 09:41:31 AM
Quote from: iame6162013 on March 30, 2014, 10:05:22 AM
I am. However this project will continue to remain on hold until after the official release of Alpha 3.  :)

ok let's wait for alpha 3
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Avis

I'm really excited for this! I literally check this thread daily lol. Anyways, Is alpha 3 capable of this? or is it still not open enough?
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

ItchyFlea

I'm slowly putting something together. If I knew how to code in C#, I figure this would be dead simple to accomplish. Since I can't, I'm doing the next best thing, a core mod replacement.
It'll be ready soon:)

Ender

Quote from: ItchyFlea on April 19, 2014, 02:42:05 AM
I'm slowly putting something together. If I knew how to code in C#, I figure this would be dead simple to accomplish. Since I can't, I'm doing the next best thing, a core mod replacement.
It'll be ready soon:)

SQUEEEEE!!!!

ahem.

I have been looking forward to this for quite a while, i'm happy that there is a slightly faster time table than the end of time.
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Kilroy232

If you need help with turrets I will definitely help you with this one. I would also handle some basic textures