What would make the game easier to mod?

Started by Tynan, June 10, 2016, 04:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shinzy

Quote from: Diana Winters on July 28, 2016, 08:45:52 PM
I'm trying to make a mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=733113011&tscn=1469750669) that adds a new species of alien, but humans and aliens can't, ah, "hook up" without dev mode. Even if you do make them hook up with dev mode, they won't do any lovin'.

I heard this was to prevent animals from breeding with incorrect species, but this wouldn't really apply to humanlikes, would it? (Seeing as only lovers get lovin', but they don't produce babies anyways.)

Oh yes I second this! I would love to have my norbals be able to get some human lovin' too
they're bit rough around the edges, the norbals, but they deserve to be loved

RemingtonRyder

I recently thought it would be nice to be able to use a tool on the debug menu to skip forward a certain number of seasons or years.

amodchecker

"modular" AIs,  so you can specify in the XML use a colonist's AI, or a mech's AI, or some other AI, then things like MD2's droids wouldn't be such a pain in the rear to do/update,  i remember having Droids wayy back when your colonists could only grow potatos and didn't care if they where raw (i want to say it was A4 or there a bouts, but i could be a few versions off)
"Modular" Pawns, start with a base "type" then use XML for specs like traits,immunity gain speed, moment speed, etc
you can include my mods in your mod pack,  but you must give credit to me and there must not be any amount of money involved,

you can make mods of my mods as long as you give credit

you must inform me if you use my mods in any way shape or form

Supes

Load order tweaks,

"Depends on" is a good idea, but doesn't account for all load order situations, so there should also be an option for "Should Load Before/After"

a check for xml mods that use existing defs. this could be done using a temporary list of vanilla defs. using this list you can then tracks changes when mods replace a def.  then warns when another mod tries to make a change to an already replaced def.

RalphFox

Sorry if it was already suggested:
-An way to reload the mods without restarting;

-When i enable the debug mode, it would be nice to know the name of the class of the object i'm looking to (example, i'm seeing the geothermal generator, and his name is PowerPlantGeothermal, base class is BuildingBase, height is x, etc etc etc)

-Also, on debug mode, it would be nice if i was able to change the colonists skills, instead of having to generate a new colony with the predef colonists;
Someone: You have no idea what you're doing, do you?
Me: Yeah! isn't that exciting?

Maintaining Officially to v14:
Edge Technologies
Cupro's SOGA

mrofa

Thing identifier, simple string or enum added to thingdef class and specify in xml to tell what the thing actually is.
Is it a wall , door , workbench, seat or common pice of furniture. Adding thing like that would make search and codding much easier, not to mention efficient, since you wouldnt need to check 30 things about a thing to establish "Yep its a wall or a squieerl".
All i do is clutter all around.

magik20

Hi Tynan, I just wanted to chime in that for me modding is a huge addition to the game.

Please continue to make it easier to mod!

Sam_

I think I mentioned this previously here, or in another thread.

Adding a waterShallow and waterDeep terrainAffordance to the water terrains would allow modders to make "water buildings". Right now the only equivalent is to allow placement on water and land.

Needs and ThinkTree modding suggestions:

First off, can you change the Needs a little?

Instead of a single field for "colonistAndPrisonersOnly" in NeedDef, can we get individual allowances?

ie: allowPrisoners, allowColonists, allowVisitors, allowAnimals, and allowMechanoids

This will make giving needs to individual pawn classes much simpler and remove the need for hardcoding to remove the Joy need from prisoners.

Secondly, can we get injection points inside the ThinkTreeDef sub-nodes so we don't have to clone the entire sub tree and all it's nodes to add new leaves at specific points?

eg:                <!-- Prisoner -->
                <li Class="ThinkNode_ConditionalPrisoner">
                    <leaveJoinableLordIfIssuesJob>true</leaveJoinableLordIfIssuesJob>
                    <subNodes>
                        <li Class="JobGiver_PrisonerEscape" />

<!-- Insertion hook for modders -->
                        <li Class="ThinkNode_SubtreesByTag">
                            <insertTag>Prisoner_PreMain</insertTag>
                        </li>

<li Class="JobGiver_PatientGoToBed" />
                        <li Class="JobGiver_PrisonerGetDressed" />
                        <li Class="ThinkNode_PrioritySorter">
                            <subNodes>
                                <li Class="JobGiver_GetFood"/>
                                <li Class="JobGiver_GetRest"/>
                                <li Class="ThinkNode_Priority_GetJoy">
                                    <subNodes>
                                        <li Class="JobGiver_GetJoy"/>
                                    </subNodes>
                                </li>

<insertTag>Prisoner_Needs</insertTag>
                                </li>

</subNodes>
                        </li>

<insertTag>Prisoner_PostMain</insertTag>
                        </li>

<li Class="ThinkNode_ConditionalReleased">
                            <subNodes>
                                <li Class="JobGiver_ExitMapBest">
                                    <defaultLocomotion>Walk</defaultLocomotion>
                                </li>
                            </subNodes>
                        </li>
                        <li Class="JobGiver_WanderCurrentRoom">
                            <maxDanger>Deadly</maxDanger>
                        </li>
                        <li Class="JobGiver_IdleError" />
                    </subNodes>
                </li>

Because we don't have injection points inside the trees and node levels, modders have to clone the entire sub-tree and inject the clone before that particular sub-tree is used.  This leads to mod incompatibilities and redundancy in the sub-tree cloning itself.

Edit:  I have implemented additional ThinkTree injection points in CCL including within the priority sorters.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.