[A14] Ambient Jams Mod v.1 - More Ambient Music!

Started by tangerinemusiclabs, August 07, 2016, 11:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tangerinemusiclabs

Adds hours of additional ambient music to the game, all original works improvised on the spot. (It's a jam!) Style is a mix of Tangerine Dream, Ambient Music, IDM, and a little bit of classical here and there. Most tracks are 15-20 mins+ for longer immersion. Current version has about 40 minutes of music, with the final being planned to be around 2-3 hours.

Visit our YouTube playlist for free streaming: http://youtube.com/user/tangerinefm

Steam Workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731638290

Note: I've been getting reports of this mod crashing the game when loaded from the Steam Workshop, which I'm unable to reproduce on my end.  Is there a size limit to the sound files that can be in-game?  (Some are over 20 mins long, so 20MB+ MP3 files in some cases.)  If anyone has any idea what it could be, please let me know.  There's very little code in the mod itself, so I figure it must be something related to Steam or something else.

Github: https://github.com/rtanaka1981/tangerinemusiclabs_rimworld

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

BaconBits

This sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a shot.

Grogfeld

Man, I love idea to have more music in Rimworld but I think that music must be loaded to memory so more sound files produces problems that others reported to you, I don't remember how Unity handles sound files. Well I'm one of them but I have only significant FPS drops. I have low-end laptop so maybe you haven't noticed on your side. Or ,maybe, it's workshop problem, so I will give this version a try.

There could be other solution, if there are limits on sound. Third party program that read txt log file. In this log you would write events with formatted dates so this program can read it. Soundsense was the name of program in dwarf fortress.

Back to work, cheers :)

kaptain_kavern

I don't know about Music in RW but in mods, converting sounds files to .ogg tend to reduce mod weight and the kind of problems mentionned. Can it be something you can do that way?

tangerinemusiclabs

Hmm, didn't know .ogg was a better format for Unity.  Guess I can give it a try.  There's so little code in the mod itself the culprit has to be the file itself, I think.

Guess I'll have to lower the quality of the files for now until either the Unity or the Rimworld team makes some tweaks.  I know memory leakage has been an issue in the game in general so it seems to make sense.

Hope you enjoy the mod!  It's been a lot of fun making music for games in this way. :)

biship

I see steam users reporting crashes with this mod.
I don't know if this will help you, but from another music mod (that works perfectly), they used this audio format:

General
Complete name                            : D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\725130005\Sounds\Neverforgotten.ogg
Format                                   : Ogg
File size                                : 12.5 MiB
Duration                                 : 3 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 450 kb/s
Writing application                      : FL Studio

Audio
ID                                       : 21367 (0x5377)
Format                                   : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor                   : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 450 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 12.5 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : libVorbis (â›,,â›,,â›,,â›,,) (20150105 (â›,,â›,,â›,,â›,,))

tangerinemusiclabs

Quote from: biship on August 08, 2016, 03:26:59 PM
I see steam users reporting crashes with this mod.
I don't know if this will help you, but from another music mod (that works perfectly), they used this audio format:

General
Complete name                            : D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\725130005\Sounds\Neverforgotten.ogg
Format                                   : Ogg
File size                                : 12.5 MiB
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 450 kb/s
Writing application                      : FL Studio

Audio
ID                                       : 21367 (0x5377)
Format                                   : Vorbis
Format settings, Floor                   : 1
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 450 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 12.5 MiB (100%)
Writing library                          : libVorbis (â›,,â›,,â›,,â›,,) (20150105 (â›,,â›,,â›,,â›,,))

Thanks for the info.  Yeah, it was the complaints on the workshop that prompted this issue.  I think it might be something related to the length of the songs (most of them are 20 minutes long) so I have to try to keep the file sizes very low, I think.

Do you know if Rimworld loads all of the sounds in memory right at the load of the mod itself?  Not the best way to handle sound files, but if that's the case it would make sense why people have been experiencing crashes on their end.

biship

Still getting OutOfMemoryException, even in OGG format. :(

tangerinemusiclabs

Damn, if it's preloading everything into the memory at mod load, there's not much I can do, is it?  I've already reduced the quality down to as far as it'll go.

skyarkhangel

Quote from: tangerinemusiclabs on August 09, 2016, 04:16:08 AM
Damn, if it's preloading everything into the memory at mod load, there's not much I can do, is it?  I've already reduced the quality down to as far as it'll go.

I think you need to split music with max. 1.5-3 min. each.

tangerinemusiclabs

Quote from: skyarkhangel on August 09, 2016, 04:28:06 AM
Quote from: tangerinemusiclabs on August 09, 2016, 04:16:08 AM

I think you need to split music with max. 1.5-3 min. each.

Aw, that sucks.  But yeah, the 3 minute track works just fine, while the longer ones have more trouble loading.  Having to split it up this way does put a damper on things, though. :-\

tangerinemusiclabs

The mod has been updated with smaller length track sizes.  (I broke them up into smaller chunks.)  If anyone is still having issues, please let me know!  Trying to see if it's a song length or file size issue.

Grogfeld

So i understand that longer songs are troublesome but is there a way to make a chain of 3 minute songs or Rimworld plays random tracks and only specific ones on events.

Draconomial

Quote from: tangerinemusiclabs on August 08, 2016, 03:45:35 PMDo you know if Rimworld loads all of the sounds in memory right at the load of the mod itself?  Not the best way to handle sound files, but if that's the case it would make sense why people have been experiencing crashes on their end.
Yes, all sounds are loaded in memory when the game client is started, as well as when mods are activated or reordered. If it wasn't so, the game would lag every time a new file was accessed.
Also acceptable audio formats are WAV and AIFF

tangerinemusiclabs

Quote from: Grogfeld on August 12, 2016, 08:09:32 AM
So i understand that longer songs are troublesome but is there a way to make a chain of 3 minute songs or Rimworld plays random tracks and only specific ones on events.

Random as far as I can tell.  You could just make a longer track rather than trying to chain them together with code...although at this point it's risky to include music files that sum to more than 3-5 minutes.

There's probably a way to pre-load music files in a smarter way -- say, have them load and unload prior to its playing, rather than trying to load everything into it all at once.  But it's all up to the devs now.  I think I've reached the point where I really just can't do much as a modder.