RimDrugs. Recommendations for 15!

Started by Ramsis, August 11, 2016, 03:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Quote from: Tynan on August 11, 2016, 01:07:53 PM
I'm open to ideas for other drugs, for sure.

Okay, well if the big guy wants ideas I say this thread from this point forward be used to share ideas, critique ideas from other users, and possible even talk about issues we have with current ingame drugs!

Immuno boosters to replace malaria pill for general boosting of diseases; I never honestly get malaria...

EMP-Pills for removing the mechanoid diseases or ending them early and keeping the benefits maybe.

Vita-boost a beverage made up of heal root and a few other veggies and it functions like a healthy but time costing supplement. So the idea is your colonists take it and working, movement, and maybe vision takes a good increase for a while. Obviously it's not going to be too op or outshine the drugs but we need lighter buff options. Add a debuff so its -3 because it tastes like ass. Recipe could be heal root, haygrass, maybe potato or corn for "taste" and price.

Mega-milk could be milk plus heal root and it lowers chance of bone based damage as long as one gets consumed every few days.

Could save time and introduce a new crop called vitaroot and then just make like 2 to 3 different types of pills and drinks that boost different functions.

Coffee, because duh Tynan :v
Teas of different variety would be nice too..
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

TheEisbaer

Well I have two suggestions:
- Krokodil or Desomorphine > eat flesh of user
- Morphine > extreme pain reduction
- opium poppy to make those drugs

skullywag

Diazepam for shooting prowess increase maybe?

has a nice bunch of side effects as well:

Drowsiness
Impaired motor function
Impaired coordination
Impaired balance
Dizziness
Depression
Anterograde amnesia (especially pronounced in higher doses)
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JimmyAgnt007

Gonna repost my idea here since its the dedicated thread.

Psionic drugs.  Anyone remember Dust from Babylon 5?  The stuff that lets the user read someones mind and relive their life in an instant?  That leaves the victim catatonic for a while and the user suffering major mental problems?

Well that would be fun.  In the context of Rimworld it would gather up all the buffs and debuffs a pawn has ever had and depending on how the math goes the user gets the sum total.  Positives canceling out the negatives.  Now I doubt that history is recorded so maybe you relive a random major event from their life.  The time they got married or when they got divorced.  Or when they got shot up in a raid then caught parasites.

However the buff/debuff part works, they walk about in a daze for a bit before it happens.  Maybe they go bezerk for short periods as they relive hostile memories.  Can go a lot of ways with this.  Could also lead to them suddenly replacing their childhood stat with that of the person they used it on.  Unlocking skills or disallowing them.  Getting new passions or traits.  Maybe they end up picking a fight with the target because they think they are the double doppelganger.

RawCode

Special note, some "states" (governments) disallow mentioning of IRL drugs in games, ever single line about "morphinum" may result in '18+" or complete ban.

Real suggestion is "custom" names for everything, just like Fallout did with "med-x" and heroes did with "grail".

QuoteMega-milk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korova_Milk_Bar

Coenmcj

Quote from: RawCode on August 11, 2016, 10:07:28 PM
Special note, some "states" (governments) disallow mentioning of IRL drugs in games, ever single line about "morphinum" may result in '18+" or complete ban.

Real suggestion is "custom" names for everything, just like Fallout did with "med-x" and heroes did with "grail".

QuoteMega-milk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korova_Milk_Bar

This exactly, for some reason some countries have a huge aversion to certain things, for instance, Australia has a huge thing against morphine, no idea why. Hence med-x, you've got us to thank for that.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

dismar

Quote from: Ramsis on August 11, 2016, 03:13:15 PM
Quote from: Tynan on August 11, 2016, 01:07:53 PM
I'm open to ideas for other drugs, for sure.

Okay, well if the big guy wants ideas I say this thread from this point forward be used to share ideas, critique ideas from other users, and possible even talk about issues we have with current ingame drugs!

Immuno boosters to replace malaria pill for general boosting of diseases; I never honestly get malaria...

EMP-Pills for removing the mechanoid diseases or ending them early and keeping the benefits maybe.

Vita-boost a beverage made up of heal root and a few other veggies and it functions like a healthy but time costing supplement. So the idea is your colonists take it and working, movement, and maybe vision takes a good increase for a while. Obviously it's not going to be too op or outshine the drugs but we need lighter buff options. Add a debuff so its -3 because it tastes like ass. Recipe could be heal root, haygrass, maybe potato or corn for "taste" and price.

Mega-milk could be milk plus heal root and it lowers chance of bone based damage as long as one gets consumed every few days.

Could save time and introduce a new crop called vitaroot and then just make like 2 to 3 different types of pills and drinks that boost different functions.

Coffee, because duh Tynan :v
Teas of different variety would be nice too..

Less stuff i have to code every update! lol

RemingtonRyder

Could we have a reference to GTA3's Equanox?

Not necessarily the same name but along the same lines of being a wonder drug with lots of side effects.

b0rsuk

QuoteMega-milk could be milk plus heal root and it lowers chance of bone based damage as long as one gets consumed every few days.

I prefer the more understated name "milk-plus", especially if it's one of the best combat drugs and has side effects causing violent mental breaks (British humor). Not because it's a reference to Clockwork Orange, but because the justification is still damn funny when taken out of context:
QuoteThe bar serves milk laced with drugs(...). By serving milk (instead of alcohol), the bar is able to serve minors.
It would make the in-game milk less useless, too.

Instead of making references to favourite movies, games and real-world drugs, why don't you iterate over game mechanics and take inspiration from that ?

Drug A would give infravision - ability to shoot accurately in the dark, and remove mood penalty for darkness.

Drug B would be like potion of giant strength - a low tech alternative to sappers, with this drug raiders would be able to smash doors, turrets or even walls quickly. Melee damage and/or Manipulation bonus. Tribal raid size could be reduced. Ingredients could include snake or spelopede venom (in practice, cobraflesh or bugmeat) and something else. The idea is that not all drugs must be produced in an industrial laboratory, some are just combinations of obscure plants and animal secretions.

Drug C would cause wound regeneration, and even stop bleeding. This could matter in prolonged combat, and finally a doctor would be able to treat himself with this. Addiction would cause deteriorating health, sporadic bleeding etc.

Drug D would be pheromone based - it would greatly boost Social skill except through comms console, and would make the colonist a great deal more attractive. Maybe even catnip effect (attracts felines).

Drug E would have a scent highly repulsive to animals. A person who takes it would have good chance to make nearby animals and bugs flee in panic, making it possible to fight manhunter packs or infestations. Inspired by Animal Awe trait from Dominions 4.

Drug F could give precognition, letting the colonist predict events in advance. If that's too much magic in the space opera setting, make it psychic detection - it would detect brainwaves of living creatures, so you would detect raids, infestations, travellers, cavarans (you could sense intentions). Inspiration from Dune. Side effects would make the colonist bad in combat or otherwise unable to help directly counter these incidents. Suddenly a useless colonist becomes less useless.

MAKE DRUGS CONSUMABLE BY ANIMALS. Drop pods fall, a bunch of wild pigs munches on the drugs and you get mad animals ! Or maybe they get super hunger and really really really want to eat your devilstrand field. And I especially mean the behaviour-altering effects, not boring stat modifiers like beer currently works.

How about randomized drug appearance every game, like potions in roguelike games ? You could get or buy drugs earlier, but without research or trial&error, you wouldn't know what they are.

b0rsuk

Blaze of Glory
Causes the person to enter a terrifying combat rage with high bonuses. When the drug wears off, side effects are typically fatal.

Blitz

I'd love to see a randomized drug that pulls from different tables - something that works like the character trait generator where the drugs would be given a trait and a side effect.

Tynan

I love drug ideas :)

Moving to suggestions now that A15 unstable is public.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Wex

"Hypercoagulne" - Stops the bleeding now, chance of failure like an operation -> heart attack, blood became too thick.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

cultist

Amphetamines.

Instantly fills the rest bar but causes a crash later. The effect can be extended by consuming more but at the risk of something bad happening (addiction, organ failure, etc.)
Could be useful for snipers to prolong the amount of time they can stay away from home. Or just to keep your pawns going after Randy throws that 3rd raid in a row at you. Or when you really need your cook to keep cooking all night because they're behind on production.

TheDirge

Cannabalist - after prolonged usage the user becomes a cannibal made with Human meat and some other stuff.

will give a mood debuff unless the person ingesting it is a cannibal, this could make cannibal colonies viable so it should take like 2 full seasons of taking this stuff for it to turn someone into a cannibal