How do I avoid the next update?

Started by Topper, August 12, 2016, 04:15:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

Couldn't you "just" copy/paste your steam game folder elsewhere and handle your game and mods like we all have done before steam release?

notfood

Quote from: Tynan on August 15, 2016, 11:40:15 PM
Quote from: Jaxxa on August 15, 2016, 11:34:51 PM
While you do have the A14 Branch on steam, remember as mods get updated to A15 (and steam automatically updates them) they will also breake your games if you are staying on A14.

Yep. Not much I can do about that besides suggest people put up versioned copies of their mods.

I wish Steam handled this better but... it doesn't :(

Please consider the way Don't Starve does it. It keeps the steam workshop as a cache of mods and if the user is using a mod in their saves they will need to confirm the update for it to be copied to the real mod folder, otherwise it copies them automatically.

RemingtonRyder

I will upload new Workshop items for A15. It's for my own convenience as well as that of the end users.

Gadg3t

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on August 16, 2016, 09:43:58 PM
Couldn't you "just" copy/paste your steam game folder elsewhere and handle your game and mods like we all have done before steam release?

The game will check for the Steam API to see if it's running. If it isn't then it will shut itself down.

kaptain_kavern

Oh I wasn't aware of this.

Am I understanding it right, if I assume that you can still use several copy/pasted RW folder, as long as Steam is launched and Online?

Because if not I may have given bad advices to some (few) peoples ...  :-[

DariusWolfe

QuoteThe game will check for the Steam API to see if it's running. If it isn't then it will shut itself down.

Is this verified with Rimworld? I've seen people say that certain other games don't do this (Factorio?) and that Rimworld doesn't either, despite it being the default behavior for Steam games.

Apocryphal, but worth double-checking.

Jaxxa

From my experience if you try and run the steam version of the game without steam running on that machine you will be given an error about not being able to initialize the Steam API and the game will close.

It does not appear to care about the location, so you can copy the the steam version to the desktop and run it from there to avoid autoupdating, but you will still need Steam to be logged in and running.

brcruchairman

+1 I can confirm that opening the Rimworld .exe on my PC without Steam open will cause Rimworld to display an error message and close. I haven't tried it in alternate directories.

Graf Zeppelin

If you dont want mod updates breaking your save

1. Go into your steam workshop library and copy all mods.
2.Go into the game main file and copy all of them into the mods folder
3. Unsuscribe all mods on steam
4. Voila.

Hope that helps

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Jaxxa on August 17, 2016, 04:08:40 PM
From my experience if you try and run the steam version of the game without steam running on that machine you will be given an error about not being able to initialize the Steam API and the game will close.

It does not appear to care about the location, so you can copy the the steam version to the desktop and run it from there to avoid autoupdating, but you will still need Steam to be logged in and running.

Thanks Jaxxa.
I was really afraid about having spread BS ...

2much41

I've run my Steam version Rimworld while my internet was down. You need to launch the game from the .exe in the game folder, not a shortcut.

Edit: With my internet restored Rimworld will no longer run without Steam running. So... Rimworld looks for Steam stuff online, but with no internet...? 

brcruchairman

Quote from: 2much41 on August 17, 2016, 06:29:52 PM
I've run my Steam version Rimworld while my internet was down. You need to launch the game from the .exe in the game folder, not a shortcut.

My experience differs; I've launched directly from the .exe while Steam was NOT running, and Rimworld promptly closed after displaying an error message that it wasn't able to load the Steam API. I can run Rimworld fine if Steam is on but in offline mode, but never without Steam active at all. Can anyone else chip in about their experience?

Jaxxa

Quote from: brcruchairman on August 17, 2016, 06:43:57 PM
Quote from: 2much41 on August 17, 2016, 06:29:52 PM

My experience differs; I've launched directly from the .exe while Steam was NOT running, and Rimworld promptly closed after displaying an error message that it wasn't able to load the Steam API. I can run Rimworld fine if Steam is on but in offline mode, but never without Steam active at all. Can anyone else chip in about their experience?

That mirrors my experience. I suspect that 2much41 while without internet, still had steam running.

Lady Wolf

Recently today I've encountered  a strange bug that when launching Rimworld in offline none of the mods function and all are listed as "downloading" in the mods tab on the Rimworld menu. They only appear when in online mode (and trying to launch in offline completely broke my load order so I had to redo my entire load order list.)

The strange this is I was able to launch it in offline mode without any trouble last night, and I encountered this bug on 2 separate computers. (I believe it's a steam issue regarding the workshop.)

However, as others have suggested, copying all the folders in the rimworld workshop over to the rimworld mods folder worked and will run in offline mode without an issue.

ThiIsMe007

Quote from: Lady Wolf on August 17, 2016, 08:25:58 PM
Recently today I've encountered  a strange bug that when launching Rimworld in offline none of the mods function and all are listed as "downloading" in the mods tab on the Rimworld menu. They only appear when in online mode (and trying to launch in offline completely broke my load order so I had to redo my entire load order list.)

The strange this is I was able to launch it in offline mode without any trouble last night, and I encountered this bug on 2 separate computers. (I believe it's a steam issue regarding the workshop.)

However, as others have suggested, copying all the folders in the rimworld workshop over to the rimworld mods folder worked and will run in offline mode without an issue.

"Steam Workshop" is The Evil incarnate for anyone intent on modding games ;D

It's difficult to accept at first (it was for me), but it's the undeniable truth.