Alpha 15 unstable branch testing feedback

Started by Tynan, August 17, 2016, 03:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

AaronTheRabbit

Hey I'd like to pitch in with the feedback on the experimental branch

Deep Mining:
1) Scanner and drills don't have a toggle power like all other electronics, which seems unintentional to me.
2) Some resources have spawned under deep water in my temperate forest map, which seems kind of pointless right now.
3) Drills use the miner skill, but don't increase it. My miners get worse and worse at drilling the longer they do it.
4) Drills can't be moved - maybe that's a balance thing, but it's a little annoying to deconstruct a drill just to move it a square over and get the last resource in an underground section. If you allow redeployment, maybe jack up the price a bunch. If nothing else, maybe an alert that says a drill has been exhausted, since it's not obvious when one's finished.
5) Drills are being prioritized after mining (If you have a mining task anywhere on the map they'll do that first). Pretty sure that's how you designed it but if I want 1 guy to drill while others mine I have to force him. It'd be nice if maybe they prioritized it like it was a regular mining task (by distance or whatever the algorithm for that is) or some kind of sub task priority where you can say what types of a skill you want to do in what order.
6) Scanners use an enormous amount of power (which is fine) but it kind of blindsides you, and there's no reason it should be a secret. It'd be nice if the power required for all objects was displayed in the tooltip or description so you know how much you need. I'd even go as far as showing the max power that can be generated from turbines, panels, etc. to help newer people plan out their power grids.
7) Just an opinion, but when you mentioned deep mining as a way to offset resource exhaustion late game I thought it'd be more like an infinite underground source you build on (Like the steam vents), and extract very slowly - personally I'd enjoy that more, and it would also solve the issue of moving all the drills around, because it would be a permanent fixture.

Drugs:
1) The "One Drink a Day" drug policy has smokeleaf and alcohol on for joy as well. This kind of negates the purpose of the policy, since they will drink multiple times per day if they need it, and also use smokeleaf.
Other than that, the drug system seems to be working pretty well for me.

General:
1) You mentioned that you debuffed corn - it seems eating it raw now makes people unhappy. If that's the case, the description of corn needs to be updated since it clearly states people enjoy eating it raw.
2) Brewing uses the cooking skill, and it's prioritized before butchering. I think butchering should come first; my cook runs out of meat and instead of chopping up more, he goes to brew beer while the people starve.
3) Brewing table is not affected by tool cabinets (Not sure if that was intentional or not, but it is a workbench; it seems like it should be)

Overall I love the new additions with this version, and frankly just love the game in general

Tynan

Zalzany

Brewing table shouldn't need a tool bench, that seems more like suggestion then feedback its a brewing table what tools are you gonna have to increase the speed? At least a tool chest near the cooking station that make sense you may need a different pan, or to sharpen you knife at the butcher table form time to time. But brewing that is what putting it in a big pot and stirring it... What we need a toolbox with spare spoons?

That is just my two sense, but rest is pretty spot on stuff.

NolanSyKinsley

Quote from: Zalzany on August 28, 2016, 01:11:44 AM
Brewing table shouldn't need a tool bench, that seems more like suggestion then feedback its a brewing table what tools are you gonna have to increase the speed? At least a tool chest near the cooking station that make sense you may need a different pan, or to sharpen you knife at the butcher table form time to time. But brewing that is what putting it in a big pot and stirring it... What we need a toolbox with spare spoons?

That is just my two sense, but rest is pretty spot on stuff.

Brewing requires a LOT more than just "a big pot and stirring it". Beside that point, the game is not meant to 100% reflect reality, and the tool stations are just a way to speed things up a little bit by sinking a few resources into it. It isn't really meant to be logical, or based on reality, it is just meant to lighten up the workload a little as you progress.

MikeLemmer

The tool box contains automated stirrers.

This reminds me of a similar peeve I had with drugmaking: at times it felt like too many tasks were grouped under Crafting, and I was having difficulty getting colonists to prioritize them the way I wanted without manually suspending jobs. I suspect that'll be worked on in a broader update polishing the work mechanics, though.

Tynan

Yeah, I think I might need a new work type for group together brewing and drug making.

I hate adding new work types, though.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Tynan on August 28, 2016, 02:22:46 AM
Yeah, I think I might need a new work type for group together brewing and drug making.

Personally, I would leave brewing and joint-making under Crafting, and put making other drugs under Medical/Doctor.

MikeLemmer

Also, doing a bit of extreme testing with the Custom Scenario editor. Found 2 things:

• If you give a colonist every addiction besides luciferium (smokeweed, psychoid, beer, wake-up, go-juice), they will immediately die from consciousness loss the moment they go into withdrawal on every one.
  • If you force an addiction in a Custom Scenario, they don't crashland with any of that drug in their inventory.

Also, I suspect this is known, but rather vexing for Scenario Editors: you currently can't build a scenario with any exclusive traits, even if the combination should technically work. For example, these are scenario parameters the game will (currently) refuse to let you set:

• Chemical Fascination for 40% of PCs + Teetotaler for 0% of PCs
  • Teetotaler for 100% of PCs + Chemical Fascination for 100% of NPCs

It would be great if, for mutually-exclusive traits, the Scenario Editor only threw back an error if their sum % total for either PCs or NPCs was >100%.

Tynan

1 and 2 are both totally intentional.

The other one - eh, I see what you're saying but what you're describing is actually a new algorithm that's a lot more in-depth than "a random % get the trait". Consider what happens with a network of traits with different dependencies, with 4 or 5 of them on the list. The solution could be very tricky. Unlikely to be added soon, being honest.

Ukanda

i love this update but can you make trader come more often than this. i know u already buff this. but i still feel  have to wait trader for a long time

malloc

Quote from: Tynan on August 27, 2016, 01:53:25 PM
Quote from: malloc on August 27, 2016, 01:05:26 PM
Having issues with pawns eating raw potato or corn instead of the simple meals in the same room.  The freezer is 15x15 mostly filled with animal corpses and stacks of veg but only a single stack of simple meals as I haven't gotten a decent cook yet.  Depending on where they are they often route to the raw food instead of the cooked meals and it's not because another pawn has a lock on the stack of meals as everyone else was sleeping (Malaria!).

Is their search radius that small now that they won't see a stack of meals 14 spots away in the next room?  Build 1277

They'll prefer meals if they care. If they're ascetic, they won't care.

It's not an ascetic issue as zero of my colonists are ascetic.  It's looks very much like a search radius issue as even the cook will drop meat in the freezer after butchering and immediately take some to eat ignoring the three stacks of simple meals in the same room.  Doctors were also trying to feed patients with raw veg when meals existed even though neither the doctor nor patient were ascetic.

drunetovich

There is some problem with colinists picking up raw food instead of meals for eating or feeding, they are not ascetic or anything, just seem lazy to walk few more steps?

genericoverusedname

Quote from: drunetovich on August 28, 2016, 06:01:27 AM
There is some problem with colinists picking up raw food instead of meals for eating or feeding, they are not ascetic or anything, just seem lazy to walk few more steps?

Similarly when they decide the table is just TOO FAR AWAY and eat their meals standing up 3 tiles away from it...

kasnavada

Quote from: Tynan on August 28, 2016, 02:22:46 AM

(wishlist) or adding a screen where the player can priorize and organize "subtasks" as he wishes ?

About the current alpha, when asking for multiple caravans while paused, they arrive at the exact same moment. I think it would be better if the timing was more random =).

Currently I'm itching to call 10 caravan at the same time and slaughter them at once.