[A16] Zorba's Miscellaneous Tweakery Mods

Started by ZorbaTHut, October 05, 2016, 02:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMS

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on October 05, 2016, 02:19:24 AM
Crafting Hysteresis is for you!

Cant believe no one has conquered this yet.  We are in the presence of greatness.
Shackleberry: Would be useful if there was an XSD (XML Schema Definition) for each of the XML files, would make validating XML between version far easier.

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: BlueWinds on October 05, 2016, 11:35:08 AM
I'm interested in "Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head" - not sure what it is exactly, but sounds intriguing!
Quote from: Dingo on October 05, 2016, 11:47:23 AM
Raindrops refactors roof construction and deconstruction priorities. You might as well release it right now...

Done!

Note that I'm releasing these slowly because writing the descriptive text takes a bunch of time. So, yeah, don't expect amazing stuff from any of these upcoming mods, but you never know - I'm surprised Crafting Hysteresis is as popular as it is.

Anyway, probably posting another one in a week or so, once I can rotate back around to mod releasing :V

ZorbaTHut

Boom, baby! Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog is released.

Commentary welcome, as always!

I've been playing a tribal game with this mod, and let's just say it makes things interesting, and also, kind of hilarious, right up until the alpaca nation attacks.

Current list of mods I'm vaguely considering making:

* OSHA Compliance
* Silly Stonecutter, Surgery is for Doctors
* Step Away From The Medicine
* wE hAVe YOur COlonIsT
* Let's Be Honest Here
* Don't Define Yourself Through Hat
* Spaceships Are Complicated, Man

I give no guarantee that any of these will be finished. And most of them are *very* small. Some of them are *very* silly.

faltonico

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on October 12, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
* OSHA Compliance
* wE hAVe YOur COlonIsT
* Let's Be Honest Here

Those names... you got my attention xD

BMS

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on October 12, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
Current list of mods I'm vaguely considering making:

* OSHA Compliance

steel toe boots?
Shackleberry: Would be useful if there was an XSD (XML Schema Definition) for each of the XML files, would make validating XML between version far easier.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on October 05, 2016, 02:19:40 AM
The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog
So: I fixed it. Now any animal can show up in manhunter packs.

Hi Zorba,  First thanks for your mods.

About "The Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog" :
does that mean we now can use the xml def located in Incidents\Incidents_ThreatsBig.xml about manhunter pack? Or are your list of animals is also hardcoded? ^^ 

The thing is, I work on a mod that add animal and wish to add/tweak manhunterpack. (In fact I wasn't aware it was not working in Vanilla)

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 15, 2016, 12:46:23 PM
does that mean we now can use the xml def located in Incidents\Incidents_ThreatsBig.xml about manhunter pack? Or are your list of animals is also hardcoded? ^^ 

The thing is, I work on a mod that add animal and wish to add/tweak manhunterpack. (In fact I wasn't aware it was not working in Vanilla)

It overrides the manhunter pack event with a slightly different code. The new code, when called, grabs all the animals available in the game, jams them in the old pawnKinds list, and then defers to the old code. There aren't any adjustments provided - pawnKinds will be ignored, but overriding ManhunterPack with a new worker class will remove the new behavior.

However, it will include all animal types, regardless of what mod they come from, regardless of where they are in the load list.

So if you want all animal types to be available for manhunter packs, just tell your users to install Caerbannog along with your mod and it'll just plain work :) If you just want some animal types to be available, you'd want to override the ManhunterPack incident yourself (and whichever mod loaded second would get authority over the manhunter list.)

kaptain_kavern

Thanks for the clarification.

So if I want to include a modded manhunter event with say only tigers (defined in an XML file with "<IncidentDef>") as long as I use "<workerClass>IncidentWorker_ManhunterPack</workerClass>"
and set your mod first in mod order, this particular incident can use only a few animals (tigers only in this example) or will it use "all animals from all mods" as you stated earlier.

Sorry i'm not a natural english speaker, it may have been clear and it's just me that don't understand

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 19, 2016, 03:04:31 PM
So if I want to include a modded manhunter event with say only tigers (defined in an XML file with "<IncidentDef>") as long as I use "<workerClass>IncidentWorker_ManhunterPack</workerClass>"
and set your mod first in mod order, this particular incident can use only a few animals (tigers only in this example) or will it use "all animals from all mods" as you stated earlier.

I believe it would use only tigers. The ManhunterPack event will be overwritten by your mod, and the changes introduced in Caerbannog will be removed. Although I haven't tested it. But I think so :)

All that said, if you don't want all animals in manhunter packs, you should just disable Caerbannog!

kaptain_kavern

What I want to do is several different manhunter incidents , with even some that trigger in some biome only. I was in the impression I could do it easily with the XML tags at my disposition, but then reading your mod description, i understood that Vanilla incident was broken. Or I have totally misunderstood the all thing ?

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on October 19, 2016, 04:56:33 PM
What I want to do is several different manhunter incidents , with even some that trigger in some biome only. I was in the impression I could do it easily with the XML tags at my disposition, but then reading your mod description, i understood that Vanilla incident was broken. Or I have totally misunderstood the all thing ?

That should work. The vanilla incident wasn't really "broken", it just restricted the animals rather severely. I didn't like that restriction. But it worked as it was designed.

You should be fine creating several manhunter incidents with different creature lists.

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: BMS on October 15, 2016, 05:55:45 AM
steel toe boots?

New mod release, folks!

OSHA Compliance prevents an uncommon case where a colonist would walk through a trap as it's being reset. It does this by convincing your colonists to avoid traps even if they're super-certain the trap isn't dangerous right now.

Very small tweak, can be installed in a running game as usual.

Current tentative list of upcoming mods, depending on if I can get time, and in no particular order:

* Let's Be Honest Here
* wE hAVe YOur COlonIsT
* I'm The Worker Now

(Let's Be Honest Here is probably next, though.)

Dingo

Let's say the only entrance to your base in a 1-tile-wide hallway and it has traps scattered inside. Will colonists outside of this hallway never go inside the colony when using OSHA Compliance? Or will they do it as a last resort if there's is no other way?

*EDIT: Also, there's probably a way for you to make it compatible with mods that change traps. Instead of returning 60 for pathCost you might be able to do "return trap.def.pathcost" or something (I haven't looked into it closely).

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: Dingo on October 23, 2016, 04:37:30 AM
Let's say the only entrance to your base in a 1-tile-wide hallway and it has traps scattered inside. Will colonists outside of this hallway never go inside the colony when using OSHA Compliance? Or will they do it as a last resort if there's is no other way?

They'll walk over the trap if going any other way would be more than about a second of detour. It's only a mild discouragement - it's enough to convince them not to stand on a trap if they can walk a square in any direction, but not much more.

To put it another way, your pawn will walk over 13 disabled traps, but not 14 disabled traps, in order to avoid a single set trap. (Plus distance adjustments.)

Quote from: Dingo on October 23, 2016, 04:37:30 AM
*EDIT: Also, there's probably a way for you to make it compatible with mods that change traps. Instead of returning 60 for pathCost you might be able to do "return trap.def.pathcost" or something (I haven't looked into it closely).

It's worth noting that the base code already doesn't provide any tuning factors for those - it's got some faction-specific special-casing so that friendlies and enemies treat it differently. All hardcoded numbers at the moment.

Litcube

I use all of these.  These are rad.  You seem like the kind of guy who would implement, say, a mod where you can set default medicine for prisoners so medics don't poorly patch them up with nothing.  As a hypothetical, of course.