[A16] Zorba's Miscellaneous Tweakery Mods

Started by ZorbaTHut, October 05, 2016, 02:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thundercraft

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on December 16, 2016, 04:20:46 PMOnce A16 is released I'll update everything on Steam, thereby annoying everyone who's still using A15, but they can still grab versions off GitHub if they want.

Doing it that way might break saves (for anyone who ignores a game save warning). Even being able to grab A15 versions off GitHub, it's a bit of a hassle (such as remembering where your mods were in our install order and getting your mods exactly in the right order again). And not all players are comfortable mucking around with game files, even if it is a simple affair.

You know that there will be a lot of holdovers who stick with A15 for a while. Not everyone is going to jump onto the A16 bandwagon as soon as we see the big, official release.

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on December 16, 2016, 04:20:46 PM
My plan for A16 is that I'm going to start porting mods over to A16 and releasing those versions on GitHub. There's no good way for me to release A16-specific versions on Steam, unfortunately.

It's your choice. But there is a solution which would both prevent the above issue and which would allow you to release for A16 on Steam. Have you seen the list of RimWorld mods on Steam with the "0.16" tag. There are already 42 of them (and counting). Is there a reason why you won't make separate 0.16 Steam releases for your mods?

knortar

Dear ZorbaTHut,

thank you for the "Crafting Hysteresis" mod - I appreciate it very much while playing Rimworld. Great!

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: joaonunes on December 16, 2016, 08:04:20 PM
EDIT: The mod "Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head" does not seem to be working... Roof collapsed on all tests in multiple load positions.

I believe that Refactored Work Priorities pretty much subsumes Raindrops - I don't think you need Raindrops at all. Note, however, that Raindrops doesn't automatically flag ceilings for removal, it just takes care of flagged ceiling removals before tearing down the walls. You still need to flag the ceiling yourself. (Yeah, it'd be nice if you didn't, but it's a bunch more work.)

Quote from: faltonico on December 17, 2016, 08:29:55 AM
Tynan, rob him of all of his mods already!.

please do this tynan I don't want to maintain these forever

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 17, 2016, 03:40:12 PM
Doing it that way might break saves (for anyone who ignores a game save warning). Even being able to grab A15 versions off GitHub, it's a bit of a hassle (such as remembering where your mods were in our install order and getting your mods exactly in the right order again). And not all players are comfortable mucking around with game files, even if it is a simple affair.

You know that there will be a lot of holdovers who stick with A15 for a while. Not everyone is going to jump onto the A16 bandwagon as soon as we see the big, official release.

I think players who know to choose the "Alpha15" option are going to be relatively comfortable with installing things manually. And thankfully, my mods aren't very order-sensitive.

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 17, 2016, 03:40:12 PM
It's your choice. But there is a solution which would both prevent the above issue and which would allow you to release for A16 on Steam. Have you seen the list of RimWorld mods on Steam with the "0.16" tag. There are already 42 of them (and counting). Is there a reason why you won't make separate 0.16 Steam releases for your mods?

A few, yeah.

First, it's a big headache for me. That doubles the number of releases I need to make.

Second, it's not clear how to cleanly transition. If I don't update the "main" mod to A16 when A16 comes out, then everyone who *doesn't* hold their game back will have problems. If I do update the main mod to A16, then we're right back where we started.

Third, it splits up the user list; people use popularity to figure out which mods to use, and I don't want to drop mine in the rankings that far.

Overall I just don't see a lot of benefits to doing that; it's a big timesink for the sake of a relatively small chunk of the userbase.

ZorbaTHut

Also, new mod!

This is the last new mod I'll be posting for a while - next up is all that A16 porting I need to do.

joaonunes

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on December 18, 2016, 04:48:13 PM
I believe that Refactored Work Priorities pretty much subsumes Raindrops - I don't think you need Raindrops at all. Note, however, that Raindrops doesn't automatically flag ceilings for removal, it just takes care of flagged ceiling removals before tearing down the walls. You still need to flag the ceiling yourself. (Yeah, it'd be nice if you didn't, but it's a bunch more work.)

Ahh, I see I misinterpreted the mod description. Thanks for the clarification!

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on December 18, 2016, 04:58:31 PM
Also, new mod!

Is it compatible with Killface's FacialStuff? He does change the pawn graphics method, if for once I'm correct you might want to add that mod to the compatibility list in the description. There is another mod that changes the actual model of the pawns to make them use the thinner model and such, cant remember the name, but the situation should be the same...
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

ZorbaTHut

Quote from: joaonunes on December 18, 2016, 05:29:15 PM
Is it compatible with Killface's FacialStuff? He does change the pawn graphics method, if for once I'm correct you might want to add that mod to the compatibility list in the description. There is another mod that changes the actual model of the pawns to make them use the thinner model and such, cant remember the name, but the situation should be the same...

I'm honestly not sure. The easiest way to test it would be to just load both of 'em and see what happens - it should take seconds to figure it out :V

Graphics changes will be compatible, new items will be compatible, but entire new pawn rendering routines won't be compatible. I'm leaning towards FacialStuff being incompatible, but give it a try, see what happens!

Edit: I managed to find the source for FacialStuff and it actually looks like it would be compatible. So, reversing my previous guess. Should work! No promises. Should work! :D

joaonunes

Quote from: ZorbaTHut on December 19, 2016, 01:14:12 AM
I'm honestly not sure. The easiest way to test it would be to just load both of 'em and see what happens - it should take seconds to figure it out :V

Graphics changes will be compatible, new items will be compatible, but entire new pawn rendering routines won't be compatible. I'm leaning towards FacialStuff being incompatible, but give it a try, see what happens!

Edit: I managed to find the source for FacialStuff and it actually looks like it would be compatible. So, reversing my previous guess. Should work! No promises. Should work! :D

Ok then :)
Do you want your colonists to look manlier?
Get a free mustache sample here!

Love

I've updated a few of Zorba's mods for A16, however they are untested.

Here is A World Without Hat, Crafting Hysteresis, I Can Fix It, and Silly Builder.

Edit: No longer needed.

Thundercraft

Quote from: Love on December 20, 2016, 02:37:45 AM
...Here is A World Without Hat, Crafting Hysteresis, I Can Fix It, and Silly Builder.

Since you've updated Silly Builder for A16, does this mean that A16 mechanoid surgery still uses the Medicine skill instead of Construction?

Love

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 20, 2016, 03:44:17 AM
Quote from: Love on December 20, 2016, 02:37:45 AM
...Here is A World Without Hat, Crafting Hysteresis, I Can Fix It, and Silly Builder.

Since you've updated Silly Builder for A16, does this mean that A16 mechanoid surgery still uses the Medicine skill instead of Construction?

Honestly, I've been so busy converting mods I haven't had time to check, I just knew that the mod that Zorba said A16 made obsolete is the pet one, so I simply assumed the rest are still needed.

ZorbaTHut

Various A16 compatibility updates.

For the curious, here's the current state of things:

It's Dangerous To Come Along: No longer needed for A16.

Raindrops No Longer Fall On My Head: No longer needed for A16.

Let's Be Honest Here: Updated; no changes required, just a version number bump.

OSHA Compliance: Updated; no changes required, just a version number bump.

Silly Builder, Surgery is for Doctors: Updated; no changes required, just a version number bump.

A World Without Hat: Updated; minor changes required.

Crafting Hysteresis: Updated; minor changes required. I've got some pending pull requests that are not yet integrated in, I'll do that after the rest are finished.

I Can Fix It: Updated; significant changes required. (The version posted earlier in this thread does not, unfortunately, work.)

Mad Rabbits of Caerbannog: Updated. I could have gotten away with minor changes, but instead I reimplemented it in a new way that should make it much more compatible with other mods.

Step Away From The Medicine: Not yet updated. This one turns out to be complicated to update. Will work on it tonight/tomorrow.

I'm The Worker Now: Haven't even looked at it yet, I know this one's going to be a nightmare. Will work on it tonight/tomorrow.

If you still want the A15 versions, they're available via the manual installation route. Otherwise, I've updated Steam!

Quote from: Thundercraft on December 20, 2016, 03:44:17 AM

Yup. :V

ZorbaTHut

Step Away From The Medicine updated! I've added HugsLib as a dependency; hopefully it won't turn out to be nightmarishly glitchy. Seems promising so far!

If you get it from Steam, it should just work. If you install manually, you'll need to add it on your own.

I'm The Worker Now will (hopefully) come tomorrow.

ZorbaTHut

I'm The Worker Now has been updated to A16. All my updating is done! I still have a few fixes and updates for a few mods, but in general, they should be stable and ready to use.

. . . okay, I'm not sure I'd call I'm The Worker Now "stable".

But it's no less stable than it was before.

Probably.

Alenerel

LewisDTC

Used Crafting Hysteresis and I'm the Worker Now in A15 - now I've just downloaded the majority of your mods for A16.

So useful. Many thanks. Much impressed. :)