[1.0] Children and Pregnancy - v0.5b (2019/Feb/25)

Started by Thirite, December 27, 2016, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XeoNovaDan

Just curious, will there be a certain weapon limit enforced for certain ages during childhood (drawing this from the screenshot with the kid with an assault rifle)?

For example: A child wouldn't be able to use a weapon until they are perhaps 7 years of age, and then they can only use very basic weapons such as pistols, short bows, shanks, knives, and perhaps clubs (but be inefficient).

Then perhaps by the age of 9 or 10, they'll be physically able to handle small automatic weapons such as Machine Pistols (but probably not quite Heavy SMG), and throw grenades and molotovs with a larger forced miss radius, and less range.

And as they start to approach adolescence, they could perhaps handle slightly bigger weapons such as Heavy SMGs, assault rifles, great bows, charge rifles, or gladii by the age of 12, and perhaps the great Survival Rifle by the age of 13?

And then by the age of 16 or 17, they'll be able to reliably handle larger weapons such as incendiary launchers and longsword, but not quite miniguns, powerful sniper rifles, LMGs or either rocket launcher until they reach full adulthood?

Very curious about how you will approach this :)

SergeshD123

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 13, 2017, 06:53:03 PM
And then by the age of 16 or 17, they'll be able to reliably handle larger weapons such as incendiary launchers and longsword, but not quite miniguns, powerful sniper rifles, LMGs or either rocket launcher until they reach full adulthood?

14 years old colonists are already capable of handling guns in Vanilla game

Thirite

To be honest I had not even considered the absurdity of a child wielding a minigun. I don't want to make things realistic if it's going to hinder having fun- but I can definitely see merit in limiting young children to smaller arms and limiting all children from things like triple rocket launchers. Probably will just make them promptly drop the weapon if it's too heavy for them.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Thirite on January 13, 2017, 11:04:42 PM
To be honest I had not even considered the absurdity of a child wielding a minigun. I don't want to make things realistic if it's going to hinder having fun- but I can definitely see merit in limiting young children to smaller arms and limiting all children from things like triple rocket launchers. Probably will just make them promptly drop the weapon if it's too heavy for them.

Leave it in for the absurdity of being able to telling the story about how your 3-year old somehow managed to wield a doomsday launcher and blew up a group of raiders.

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on January 13, 2017, 11:11:00 PM
Leave it in for the absurdity of being able to telling the story about how your 3-year old somehow managed to wield a doomsday launcher and blew up a group of raiders.

Actually yeah, scratch that! Almost lost myself in the realistic side of things as opposed to the traditional, comical side of RimWorld... plz save me

Hydromancerx

Google images never disappoint.

XeoNovaDan

"And he went on to single-handedly destroy a terrifying raid consisting of 127 tribals with that one shot, and he became a godlike marksman from there on out"

Tammabanana

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on January 14, 2017, 07:46:15 AM
"And he went on to single-handedly destroy a terrifying raid consisting of 127 tribals with that one shot, and he became a godlike marksman from there on out"

Traits gained!

I think their movement speed should be slowed significantly while carrying (dragging) weapons that are too large for them, but yeah, a 3-year-old totes knows to aim weapons in the general vicinity of bad guys.

I think vanilla 14's a good age to go full-adult as far as weapon-carrying strength goes - roughly coincides with the kid->adult-size growth spurt anyway.
Tam's tiny mods: forum thread: Kitchen Counters and other shelving *** Smoked meat *** Travel rations: MREs *** Pygmy Muffalo

Grugsy

on the subject of realism... I got my first rifle, a single shot bolt action winchester 22, when I was 7; after I had shown that I was capable of handling and cleaning it responsibly. I wasn't allowed to use anything higher caliber unless on a hunt with adults until I was about 13. Even then, I wasn't allowed to shoot anything bigger than a 270 until I was 18. and handguns were off limits until about 15 or 16. also..monkey with an ak-47 baby edition would be pretty funny.

grifo

LOL, good idea! I thought its already exists in vanilla!

I think until at least age 7, baby should be useless at any skill.

Thirite

Update: Stable testing release soon!
- Updated to A16
- Babies can be born with drug addictions if the mother was taking them during pregnancy
- Babies can get fetal alcohol syndrome
- Babies can get deformities or be stillborn from inbreeding
- Fixed lots of issues with child pawn generation for cases other than in-game birthing
- Works with Prepare Carefully (sort of- the graphics don't seem to update when changing ages, and PC locks minimum age at 14)

(click to enlarge)

Edit:
What's still left to do:
- Give children non-genetic traits when certain events happen in their childhood (eg: bloodlust from killing)
- Make a "deliver baby" job for doctors

XeoNovaDan

LEGENDARY!

Can't wait to try this! I'd support this if I could, but I can't :(

Also Dems looks adowoable :D

XeoNovaDan

"Kenny Samuelson Jeremy Demler is the hottest kid in school the colony!"
"Oh, have I ever told you about Snow Leopards Thrumbos?"

pablous

Quote from: Thirite on January 16, 2017, 03:49:11 PM
Update: Stable testing release soon!
- Updated to A16
- Babies can be born with drug addictions if the mother was taking them during pregnancy
- Babies can get fetal alcohol syndrome
- Babies can get deformities or be stillborn from inbreeding
- Fixed lots of issues with child pawn generation for cases other than in-game birthing
- Works with Prepare Carefully (sort of- the graphics don't seem to update when changing ages, and PC locks minimum age at 14)

(click to enlarge)

Edit:
What's still left to do:
- Give children non-genetic traits when certain events happen in their childhood (eg: bloodlust from killing)
- Make a "deliver baby" job for doctors

:o :o Incredible :o :o

I have a small idea, infertile adults with negative mood