[1.2] PowerSwitch

Started by Haplo, April 10, 2014, 03:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haplo

Update to alpha 10
And I've changed some switchings from automatic switching to designation flicking.
The pawn in room detection and the timer are still instant switching, but everything else is changed to flicking

Kasdar

I would like to see another option, one to turn off power when one of my pawns is nearby.

It would also be nice to be able to set a distance for the automatic pawn activations, and lastly to have multiple options selected.

For example i have spike traps, I want them to turn on if an enemy is seen, but turn off if one of my pawns comes near, so they dont skewer themselves.

Havan_IronOak

I'm new to this mod and it hasn't been working for me, but I think I've figured out the issue and would someone to confirm I'm correct before I do a massive amount of rebuilding.

I'm particularly having trouble with the "power on when an enemy is near" functionality.  As I understood the original description, I placed the switch in its own room with a power-in and a power out connector. The blasted thing refused to ever turn on. After watching one of Tynan's  you-tube videos about how the game's pathing works, I'm guessing that the proximity switch will ONLY work if the enemy is in the same room or if they're both outside. Is that correct?

harpo99999

the OLD functionality was if the enemy was within 97 tiles it switched on, the CURRENT function is if the enemy is within 97 tiles the switch requests a colonist to switch it (this is from playing the game(both previous versions and the current a10f,d & a), reading the descriptions and noticing the switch request symbol during raids)

Haplo

Harpo9999 has it right. The only instant switching right now is the pawn detection in room, as it doesn't work with the request system. Everything else just requests the switching. Only the distance isn't fixed. It is 1/3 of the current map size.
This is done to fit them to the vanilla switching type.

iamthebest22

Ah I see, is it possible for you to made a version that has automatic switching?

Haplo

Possible yes, as it was originally like that. But I don't have time for it anytime soon.
But I prefer to only support one version. If most people would prefer the old system over the new system,...
Well see, but unfortunately not too soon. Sorry.

Kasdar

Quote from: Haplo on April 26, 2015, 12:23:12 PM
Possible yes, as it was originally like that. But I don't have time for it anytime soon.
But I prefer to only support one version. If most people would prefer the old system over the new system,...

I would prefer them to switch automatically. As, if i have a switch set to activate when a hostile is near, by the time a pawn flicks the switch, its to late

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Haplo on April 26, 2015, 12:23:12 PM

As an option that wouldn't increase your workload by twice (maintaining two versions, yuk) maybe add a very expensive research topic that allows for automatic flicking and the lower tear one gets renamed to auto-enemy warning (triggers the pawn to go flip that manual switch).

Rock5

What? So the sensor on the light detects an enemy and, what?, sends a message to a colonist to come flick a switch? That makes no sense. A sensor light is a sensor light, not a manual switch. I can understand that if you change the setting on the switch a colonist has to go over and change it but, once a sensor is enabled, it should work automatically.
Rock5 [B18] Mods
- Butchers Can Count Meat
- Sun Lamp Planner
- JTZoneButtons
- RimSearch
- JTExport

Haplo

I see it a bit different:
It isn't really the switch that switches, but a colonist that has seen an enemy and runs automatically to the switch that he knows that needs to be switched on.
But I admit it could use some tweaks..

Kasdar

Quote from: Haplo on April 27, 2015, 03:46:34 AM
It isn't really the switch that switches, but a colonist that has seen an enemy and runs automatically to the switch that he knows that needs to be switched on.

The problem I see with this is, that unless you have a colonist standing around doing nothing, waiting to flick the switch, then the switch either doesnt get flicked, or gets flicked after its too late for it to be useful.

GazzaBolton

To add this mod do I need a new world or colony or would it run fine just adding in?

Thanks in advance.

Dave-In-Texas

Quote from: Kasdar on April 27, 2015, 05:46:07 AM
Quote from: Haplo on April 27, 2015, 03:46:34 AM

The problem I see with this is, that unless you have a colonist standing around doing nothing, waiting to flick the switch, then the switch either doesnt get flicked, or gets flicked after its too late for it to be useful.

The switch gets the little diamond 'flick me' icon as soon as an enemy comes within the radius (the point where it used to just turn on) .   I keep all my colonists with flicking at priority 1 and most of the time someone is already headed to the switch before  I can manually order one of them.

harpo99999

Quote from: GazzaBolton on May 06, 2015, 04:55:38 PM
To add this mod do I need a new world or colony or would it run fine just adding in?

Thanks in advance.
I have just added the switches mod to a game and it continued without issues other than the switch position in the menus changing