[B19] A Dog Said... Animal Surgery

Started by witchyspoon, January 08, 2017, 09:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwWraith

Quote from: spoonshortage on July 04, 2017, 09:29:20 AM
Pros:  damage more logical on smaller/bigger animals

Cons: powerclaws and scytherblades only for certain animals
         less easy to obtain the fitting part from traders (for those who play without crafting)
         more recipes on the bench list
         more clutter in your stockpiles if you have lots of different sized animals
         people have to remember what part goes on what animal[/size]

Imho:
Con#1 is actually a pro :) And basically it is the same as "damage more logical on smaller/bigger animals". The squirrel with the scytherblade isn't logical.
Con#2 is a pro, too, because if someone plays without crafting it means that (s)he doesn't want the easy way. And it could be made easier by increasing the chances.
Cons#3&#4 are still cons, but really minor ones in practice.
Con#5 while makes it more difficult also makes it more interesting, so it is also a pro for people who prefer a deeper perception of the game.

Again, it's just my personal opinion. But I think actually many people are missing that more differentiated system (as the poll shows), they (we) just had no desire to write about it.

Maybe it's possible to make it optionable?
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

witchyspoon

Quote from: wwWraith on July 04, 2017, 10:17:49 AM
Quote from: spoonshortage on July 04, 2017, 09:29:20 AM
Pros:  damage more logical on smaller/bigger animals

Cons: powerclaws and scytherblades only for certain animals
         less easy to obtain the fitting part from traders (for those who play without crafting)
         more recipes on the bench list
         more clutter in your stockpiles if you have lots of different sized animals
         people have to remember what part goes on what animal[/size]

Imho:
Con#1 is actually a pro :) And basically it is the same as "damage more logical on smaller/bigger animals". The squirrel with the scytherblade isn't logical.
Con#2 is a pro, too, because if someone plays without crafting it means that (s)he doesn't want the easy way. And it could be made easier by increasing the chances.
Cons#3&#4 are still cons, but really minor ones in practice.
Con#5 while makes it more difficult also makes it more interesting, so it is also a pro for people who prefer a deeper perception of the game.

Again, it's just my personal opinion. But I think actually many people are missing that more differentiated system (as the poll shows), they (we) just had no desire to write about it.

Maybe it's possible to make it optionable?

I dont see how I can make an option for this. either I add it, or I dont. or I would have to make another version of the whole mod. this however will only happen if I ditch all other extra versions. nocrafting is going anyway in the next release and I'm not sure about the lite version. I would rather have just 1 version of the mod tbh.

you are correct about the subjectivity of the whole thing however. I know there is a vocal few that would like the sizes added but there is a lot of people who are fine with how it is and would start complaining if I make it too complicated again. I dont think I will budge on this anymore bc I personally dont want to play with sizes myself.
And like I said before, 90% of the players havent even realized the whole thing/didnt care about it, before someone started this whole discussion on steam.

SpaceDorf

I have something completely different on my wishlist :)

I would like to transpant bodyparts from animal to animal .. preferred to animals of the same race :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

witchyspoon

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 04, 2017, 02:26:21 PM
I have something completely different on my wishlist :)

I would like to transpant bodyparts from animal to animal .. preferred to animals of the same race :)

oh boy..lol let me tell you about those numbers:
i would have to make surgeries for removal/adding of every part/limb for every animal species specifically. (example add/remove cougar leg, add/remove husky lung....etc etc) then i would have to make  thingdefs for specific species parts. hediffs for every kind of part. all of this times...what? say 40 species?....
yeah.....thats a "nu-uh" lol
unless someone very smart with more skills than me (which is not difficult) comes up with some c# magic or something...xD

edit:
ok so thats the actual numbers: 14 organs/limbs x 49 species x3 (surgery defs, hediffdefs, thingdefs; maybe even x4 if i have to add removal defs)
thats over 2000 new defs. give or take a few that have more limbs/no tail etc

SpaceDorf

I was afraid you would say something like this.
Considering that this calculation only includes vanilla animals.
I was hoping an operation could be implemented like butchering and give back a "race_type" animal part.

Still this would also need a corresponding implant procedure.
Crap.

stigma

Hey, just wanted to let you know about a bug (sort of a bug anyway)

The basic animal prostetics reseach level is "neolithic", but still requires electricity as a prerequisite.
Obviously that makes zero sense.

It also creates major issues with mods like tech advancement (increasing your tech level based on research done) since you can never finish the neolithic tier until you have already gotten to electricity.

I recommend you set this tech level to industrial
(I guess alternatively remove the electricity prerequisite unless that conflicts with something else...)

Meanwhile I guess I will probably just see if simply modding the value in the XML can hotfix it for me.

-Stigma

witchyspoon

Quote from: stigma on July 08, 2017, 12:11:18 PM
Hey, just wanted to let you know about a bug (sort of a bug anyway)

The basic animal prostetics reseach level is "neolithic", but still requires electricity as a prerequisite.
Obviously that makes zero sense.

It also creates major issues with mods like tech advancement (increasing your tech level based on research done) since you can never finish the neolithic tier until you have already gotten to electricity.

I recommend you set this tech level to industrial
(I guess alternatively remove the electricity prerequisite unless that conflicts with something else...)

Meanwhile I guess I will probably just see if simply modding the value in the XML can hotfix it for me.

-Stigma

i have already fixed that. i mentioned that here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29310.msg348111#msg348111

stigma

Canute

I just installed Bionic animal spine on a minion and got an significant increase of the DPS of the minion. Nearly that mich then with a bionic animal arm/scyther blade.

Is this intend or a mod conflict maybe ?

SpaceDorf

Canute

Sorry, it wasn't the spine what cause the massive DPS, it was the legs, they got 20 damage like arms too, i didn't notice that before.

QuoteIts a Terminionator :)

Compared to regular minions yes ! :-)
1.24 DPS (      2 * 62%)
6.73 DPS (18.36 * 50%) 2Bionic legs
7.85 DPS (19.42 * 56%) 2Bionic leg + 1 Scyther blade
9.52 DPS (19.42 * 68%) 2Bionic leg + 1 Bionic arm

laokangz2

I find a problem,
below is my mod
1. core
2. huglib
3.EPOE
4.A dog said (full can craft version)
the problem is  that the list of workbeach is null, could you check if you upload a wrong version in Github?

Canute

I just redownload and installed the latest from github and don't got any trouble with the workbenches.
You should just try to delete the old mod folder and unzip/copy it again, maybe some files was missing at the last time.

kubolek01

No comment. Must have for anyone starting with mods!
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

spincrus

I've read through a couple of pages on both this thread and the xpath thread, but I don't think I've found my answer.

Let's say, I have an animal mod (in my case, Dinosauria), into which I actually want to embed the patch for A Dog Said, via the xpath method. Just injecting the species names into the recipe users.

Would this cause a problem with those who don't have A Dog Said? Does the xpath method in A17 currently ignore the xpath method if the Defs for A Dog Said aren't found?

What I mean is, would embedding the xpath code into my current mod make A Dog Said a required item?

Thanks in advance!