Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

9ofSpades

Whenever a new Alpha is released I typically play vanilla RimWorld for quite a while until my favorite mods have been updated. With that in mind I would prefer a delay in Alpha 17 until new content can be added. The jump from one Alpha  to another is always great due to the great additions added to the game. It is always exciting to receive that email saying RimWorld has been updated. You get to go and see what has been changed/improved and the new aspects to the game. I never feel that excited when I get that email saying to download the alpha b or c update which fixes major bugs.

While I am sure the work Tynan has put in will make the game run far better if added right now waiting a bit longer seems well worth it.

jpinard

Quote from: Tynan on February 10, 2017, 08:06:36 PM
Quote from: Alenerel on February 10, 2017, 07:41:42 AM
Since I cant troll comment in the blog I answer here.

QuoteSo far we've fixed hundreds of bugs.
You can actually look at the Bugs forum to see some of what's gone on. I think there are about 300=400 A16 reports in there (almost all of which are fixed). :D

Yes it amazing how many problems can hide in a game like this.

Tynan, @fluffy is one of the most talented modders in Rimworld.  If you're asking the community - I think you should listen to him.  He suggested you release ASAP bug fixes as A17 and I think think you should too.  I trust you, I trust him and several other prolific modders have also said release it ASAP as it would be easier to update mods in smaller pieces then to release a content patch with fixes.

I've changed my mind several times on this, but @fluffy's post should really hold more water than just some average player like myself.  Also, though I pushed heavily for a 16.5, don't do it.  Go a17.

Please do this.

Draconicrose

I am going to preface this by saying I'm one of those people who have a LOT of mods. That said, I understand the advantages of both releases.

If you release all the bug fixes, people get a smoother, less buggy game faster. They also get some time to get used to the changes. Of course, their beloved colonies will be rendered unplayable by the update and mods breaking. Modders will scramble to update and if it's just a bug-fix release most updates should be relatively trivial. However, "bug-fixes and performance increases" isn't a very exciting changelog.

But, if you release a bug-fix update with just one or two new things to get people excited, I think it would go much smoother. It'll give people more time to enjoy and explore A16 and the mods that showed up for it. It'll give modders some more time to rest and actually enjoy the game they're modding. When the update drops, eventually breaking compatibility, people won't be so upset because there will be new features to explore.

So, in conclusion, I think you should wait and release later.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

anonymous456

QuoteTynan, @fluffy is one of the most talented modders in Rimworld.  If you're asking the community - I think you should listen to him.  He suggested you release ASAP bug fixes as A17 and I think think you should too.  I trust you, I trust him and several other prolific modders have also said release it ASAP as it would be easier to update mods in smaller pieces then to release a content patch with fixes.

I agree. Initially I voted for one big update with additional features because I thought it would feel more rewarding and complete, but if Fluffy and other modders think an earlier fix-only update is for the best, then I'd say go for it.

Crowblack

I personally voted for a refinement update but would like to use my voice to support the mod authors. I suggest deferring to them (disclaimer; I have not had the time to read the posts). Also, big thank you to everyone (are there more than Tynan?) at Ludeon Studios. Rimworld, as it stands now in alpha, is among my favorite games of all time (not for nothing, I have been an avid gamer since 1988). Thanks go out to the mod authors as well. You make a great game even better.

willpill35

I think waiting for new content would be better.  I know myself and probably a lot of people get bored with the game after they have played for a while with each new update and having new content to experiment with keeps us playing longer.  Just getting some bugfixes won't draw as many people back to the game as content will.  Although I think small patches that don't constitute a new alpha update that fix small things should come out fairly regularly.

Alenerel

Now that you people say it I also agree that pro modders should have more voice in this.

Astasia

Quote from: Tynan on February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PMthe release itself will consume some developer time, slowing long-term progress slightly.

Wait then. I'd prefer new content faster, even if only slightly. Bug fixes are great, but it's alpha and not really expected, or honestly that exciting. Content updates are what people get hyped about and brings renewed interest in the game. Most of the major issues in A16 are fixed by mods anyway.

Sola

If you've got fixes, people will undoubtedly want them.
If they're ready to roll out, there's no reason not to do it.

If you're hung up on the name "A17" not being a monumental change to the game, don't call it "A17".  Call it "A16b" or "A16.1" or "The February Update to A16"
Two tiers of construction jobs.  One for expensive/quality items, and one for walls/floors/etc.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28669.0

deslona

I agree that the fixes should be released first. This should be an A16.1 release. Bug fixes allow veteran players get used to the adjusted systems on their own merits. Which can provide valuable information about balancing which can be addressed in the A17 release, which would contain new features that will break other things - there are always big bugs after a big release, no blame. That's just the way it is these days, we are still in alpha. Not all mods will need to be changed. And there is no pressure on the players that may not want to update to do so. They could wait until the A17 comes out. Same with modders. I wont hate it if my fav mods wont update just for the A16.1. I completely understand the desire to wait it out for the 'real' update.

TL:DR - small update with fixes now

Fluffy (l2032)

if a release (whatever may be in it) is going to break mod compatibility, please make sure the workshop and the in-game version checker will highlight/reject mods that haven't been updated. The easiest way of doing that is just calling it A17.

JuanEnrique

My opinion: IF alpha17 (without NEW content) improves the game experience SO SIGNIFICANTLY that the difference can be noticed by all who play, the i would say "release it without new content". That way, the devs can concentrate on alpha18 with the new stuff. IF however, the changes of A17 would only be noticed by "hardcore, 23 hour a day" players, then i would say "lets wait for the new content".

HOWEVER, i still think, the devs should do it, as they see fit ^^ get opinions and all, in the end, its your baby, its your gem, its your time, your work, your devotion. And by god has rimworld been an exciting journey so far so... however you guys do it, im happy ^^

oh WINDOWS! (i know i know not the place for this) but why not add build-able windows? big ones (2 squares) and small ones (one square)! With and without metal bars (for the prisons? and those who suffer from paranoia a bit too much)? Would let in light, cool down the inside of the house in hot days? make colonists happy? some could sit on a stool, when its raining outside, watching the rain (meditating)?
love rimworld! been spreading the word in 3 languages since alpha 1 :D

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on February 13, 2017, 03:53:02 AM
if a release (whatever may be in it) is going to break mod compatibility, please make sure the workshop and the in-game version checker will highlight/reject mods that haven't been updated. The easiest way of doing that is just calling it A17.

That is now my biggest concern/worry. A lot of people are wanting 16.1 or 16.5 or something, but that just seems bad. It seems likely some mod will be broken. Because I think the A16 Tynan is proposing is bug fixes and refinements. Refinements seems like something that could easily mess with mods. (not that bug fixes couldn't as well)

Better safe than sorry! A17 please with either result you end up using please!

Alenerel

Tynan, you asked to the community about a serious doubt you had and now people are arguing about whether calling it A16.x or A17! You cant just trust the community! Its like giving a monkey a shotgun!

Tynon pls

(  excuse me but I love to write "Tynon pls", dont ban me :(  )

Sylevar

Having just recently gotten my copy of this game, I feel I have little say in the matter. However, since I do officially own a copy, that does entitle me to voicing my opinion. Please read the whole thing rather than telling me I don't know what I'm talking about or I'm on the wrong forums... I choose my words very carefully for a reason.

I started playing minecraft about 8 years ago, and stopped playing vanilla when I realized just how awesome mods made minecraft. I have continued playing modded version of minecraft ever since (close to 7 years now). I am currently stuck on playing 1.7.9 version of it because the mods which I enjoy playing so very much have ceased updating. The current version of minecraft is something like 1.11 or something like that.

Now, I said that to say this:

Rimworld is AWESOME as is! I've been playing it for about 2 weeks so far and just last night managed to scrape enough $$$ together to get my own copy of it (not easy on an extremely limited income). I so far have downloaded close to 25 mods and, as soon as I am done posting this, plan on spending several more hours enjoying the new ideas that the mods bring. However, the mods are enhancements not originally added to the game, though they may later on. (example would be I played with horses in Minecraft before horses were actually released thanks to a mod).

However, I have noticed multiple times in a LOT of games, (not just minecraft) that when you rely on modders to make your game greater than it might already be, then you (as a player) are cheating yourself out of a LOT of really awesome and hard work put forth by the developers. I, myself, have been working on building my own game and I gotta admit, it's not easy. I can't imagine the scale Rimworld has taken but I have noticed a few bugs. While I would love to see more content updates, I am reminded of Electronic Arts and Sims 3.  They constantly released new content and never gave two hoots about content patches. Even to this day, it's virtually unplayable to me because of all the bugs. Skyrim, a great game, is flawed with bugs that Bethesda simply overlooked and continued to compile with "new content". I say: Fix the problems that there are now. Release new content when the current content is less buggy. That way, you know that if the new content ends up with a bug, it's something that was added new and not being caused by an older problem. It will ultimately save time because of the fact that you'll know where the problem lies.

As for those who "don't want to wait for mods to update." It's really simple:  DON'T USE MODS! If you mod your game, you place your advancement in the hands of someone else who may have a death in a family, or may get so sick they can't get out of bed, or their computer gets fried by lightning, or (probably the most common) windows releases a screwed up update that wipes everything they have been doing because it views their mod coding as a virus or some other dumb crap. If you insist on using mods, then you may be stuck playing Minecraft 1.7.9 and missing out on a LOT of additional stuff just because your mod team has ceased working on their mods.

Bottom line: I want to see bugs fixed more than I do new content. I lose interest if a bug prevents me from enjoying a game like in Sims 3.