Should Ludeon release Alpha 17 as refinements, or wait for new content too?

Started by Tynan, February 08, 2017, 01:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should we release Alpha 17 as just a refinements-and-fixes update, or wait to have new content as well?

Release refinements, and then new content in two updates
497 (38.7%)
Wait until there is significant new content to release in one update
787 (61.3%)

Total Members Voted: 1282

segundoblz

hyperkiller

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on February 13, 2017, 03:53:02 AM
if a release (whatever may be in it) is going to break mod compatibility, please make sure the workshop and the in-game version checker will highlight/reject mods that haven't been updated. The easiest way of doing that is just calling it A17.

i'll agree with this.

Catastrophy

I don't feel there are gamebreaking issues right now so I'm fine with waiting a little longer for new content.

Jaredmatt200

Definitely wait for a new update no need to only have refinements, you had many refinements with alpha 16 but you also released wanderlust so something like that would be ideal.

Anxarcule

I think the game is perfectly playable in it's current state.  My only gripe would be with surgery success chance but once your understand the changes it does give Glitterworld Meds more of a purpose.

With that said, I would suggest waiting.  Any release is bound to have some bugs/hotfixes which would mean a bigger overall delay, and features in A17 could affect/break those fixes...  Also there is nothing better than seeing a massive game-changing update :)

sebb

Any new content WILL contain bugs, so even if you fix current bugs you will implement new ones. Thus I would recommend a patch to fix bugs and then a content patch, giving you more time to adapt to bugs you may have missed. A clean build would be great overall to have a base on which you can improve on. And let's be honest: sometimes the AI is just straight aids.

narkul

JMC

Hi there, I just made an account to say that I'd love to see a fix to the absurdity that is failed surgery. I love playing this game but when a surgeon with a med skill of 15+ can kill someone with full health by inserting a peg leg on a excellent medical bed with a monitor and using regular medicine it makes me want to physically attempt the same retarded surgery on myself.

I think quicker fixes would lower the possibility of people feeling put off by the game anyway.

Now to take a few deep breaths and get back to things (In the end either option is fine, I'll keep buying people this game on steam).

Jaxxa

Quote from: Sylevar on February 13, 2017, 05:43:34 PM
However, the mods are enhancements not originally added to the game, though they may later on. (example would be I played with horses in Minecraft before horses were actually released thanks to a mod).

Interesting to note that mod ideas being integrated into the base game has also happened in Rimworld, usually not exactly how it was in the mod but off the top of my head we had mods for Turrets/Mortars using Ammo, Personal Shields, Wind Power, Vents (I Think), Deep Drilling and my Stargate mod allowed you to send Pawns onto a new map similar to the Wonderlust update all before they were released in the Vanilla Game.

Quote from: Sylevar on February 13, 2017, 05:43:34 PM
... Even to this day, it's virtually unplayable to me because of all the bugs. Skyrim, a great game, is flawed with bugs that Bethesda simply overlooked and continued to compile with "new content". I say: Fix the problems that there are now. Release new content when the current content is less buggy. That way, you know that if the new content ends up with a bug, it's something that was added new and not being caused by an older problem. It will ultimately save time because of the fact that you'll know where the problem lies.

The difference here is that the choice is not bug fixes or new content, it is sooner bug fixes or bug fixes and new content.

jpinard

The Nickman

Hi there, I also created a new account just to post in this thread.  Firstly, I have to say thank you for Rimworld, I've only been playing it since January, but I am absolutely hooked.

Personally, I would love to see Alpha 17 released sooner rather than later with any tweaks and bug-fixes, because there are obviously minor refinements that can be made to the current engine, and some of the things Tynan has highlighted in his initial post sound great, and I'd hate to have to wait longer because we're waiting for new content.

Just my thoughts, I understand how mod-makers would hate to have to re-do all their mods.

Sylevar

Quote from: Jaxxa on February 14, 2017, 08:48:02 PM
The difference here is that the choice is not bug fixes or new content, it is sooner bug fixes or bug fixes and new content.

True, I misspoke on that part. My apologies and thanks for the clarification. I would still rather see the current bugs fixed before new content is released. But then again, I'm perfectly fine without mods for this game too.

Alenerel

The problem with fixing too many bugs is that some fixes might become useless if you replace that system. For example, if he fixed surgery bugs before A16 they all went to waste since in A16 surgery was redone.

I suppose that our lord and savorer already takes that in account, but Im just saying... If he plans to replace something, dont waste time fixing it, even if the plans are for long, unless they, ofc, are unplayable bugs.

DanielCoffey

Quote from: Alenerel on February 15, 2017, 08:24:07 AM... our lord and savorer...

We have a Cannibal Overlord now? Wait... it's Rimworld, of course we do!
Caselabs S8 : Intel 7700K 5.0GHz 1.30V / 32Gb DDR4 3000 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb / Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit

Ragnarok

I'm posting another reply for more info, but my opinion still stands. Bug fix/balance, then more content later.

So first off, if it's just going to be a bug bash only then I vote wait for more content. But based on what Tynan said in this initial post it sounded like it would be a bug fix AND a balance, or a bug fix, balance, and new content. If this is the case, I vote for a bug fix and balance of the current systems in game, then add new content later.

This would allow for the base game to be more stabilized and balanced, which would mean later updates would have a more stable base game to update. Many other games frequently do a bug fix/balance update every so often, like Prison Architect did (I'm not comparing the two in gameplay). This would mean that some mods would be obsolete since some mods are there simply to balance out existing gameplay/systems and not add anything new (e.g. changing the power usage of lights from 75 to 25 power).

So again, I'm for a bug fix/balance and a separate content update later. We're currently at Alpha 16. Time to rework/balance most of the current in-game systems. If Tynan has an idea or knows a certain system will be modified in the (near) future then either do minor adjustments or ignore that system currently until the updated system gets put in place. Otherwise I'm sure there are changes that can be made with future revisions in mind.

There are numerous systems in game that should be balanced/revised, including medical/healing, hauling, food, combat, and more. Balance the systems that are already in game before adding more. I don't personally use any food mods but I do see the appeal in more types of food for example. Although more types of food would technically be new content, it would primarily be working on and balancing existing systems. Maybe add more of a 'combat realism' system with atleast some minor changes, but wait for later updates of weapons/armor/whatever to fully balance it (while making some changes now to better support future modifications/systems).

The base game, although awsomely fun, does require some modifying of the vanilla base game version. While mods can make a game even more fun, the base game should be plenty of fun and balanced and stable without mods.