Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jovus

Quote from: Aerial on March 07, 2017, 08:28:23 AM
Quote from: Shurp on March 07, 2017, 06:46:14 AM
Brick walls around a geothermal plant work even better.  Keeps out raiders too :)

Just remember to mark it as an unroofed zone before enclosing it in walls.

For best results, only mark 1 tile as unroofable. You get the temperature control you need, and less chance of lightning strikes. (It's a miniscule chance anyway, but Rimworld is all about minimizing and maximizing small probabilities.)

CrazyEyes

Also, if you're walling off your geothermals, it's best to make the wall at least two tiles thick.  Often attacking raiders will branch off to knock holes in random walls along their path.  With a one-tile-thick wall they will then go in and break your generator, necessitating expensive repairs, but if there's no new target after they break the first wall they get bored and leave.

If you have the resources for it you should also build flooring along the power conduit that leads back to your base so that any Zzzt! events that blow them up won't also start forest fires.  Depending on the floor, it also makes them more visible so you can more easily tell if one has been broken when you weren't looking.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

SpaceDorf

I always build generator buildings around steam geysers, when they are off-base

two thick stone walls, one or two tiles surrounding concrete floor and concrete on the inside .. double rock doors, held open for temperature control .. gets ignored 99% by raiders .. and always two seperate lines of power connected to the main grid .. underlined with three tiles wide rock or concrete floor ..

Another tip, which is not quite vanilla but really great :

The ressource Sonar mod and the vein miner mod work really well together :-D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Limdood

temperature control in a mountain base becomes much easier, even in very cold climates, if your MOST exterior room is a small, double walled room with it's own heater (having your freezer near the entrance as well is fine) with no other rooms having walls that touch the freezing weather.

since rooms have their own temperature buffer, the heaters will constantly work to keep the buffer room at a comfortable temperature, but the cold leakage THRU the buffer room to the hallways and rooms beyond will be extremely minimal, allowing a mere couple of heaters to heat the entire remainder of the base.

b0rsuk

Manhunter animals don't attack colony animals unless those animals belong to a drafted colonist, especially released animals. It's fine to let your grazing animals out, it's also safe to let an animal rescue a colonist or another animal.

BetaSpectre

In options you can choose to control up to 5 colonies. Colonies placed 1 hex from a town can be used to constantly trade with it.

Also bugs sleep on a regular basis, unset the run away response pawns have when undrafted, and just lewt the jelly and decon the lights.

Until shot or killed the other bugs won't wake. There are noctornal bugs, but you'll know when you see them.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

Shurp

Are you annoyed when your miners that refuse to perform "dumb labor" leave components lying around to bake in the sun?

Tell them to build a roof over them.  Haulers can get them later.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 08, 2017, 04:46:54 PM
Manhunter animals don't attack colony animals unless those animals belong to a drafted colonist, especially released animals. It's fine to let your grazing animals out, it's also safe to let an animal rescue a colonist or another animal.
this is not true.  though they do appear to MOSTLY ignore animals...lost several hauler pigs to manhunter boomrats

b0rsuk

Quote from: Limdood on March 08, 2017, 09:37:44 PM
Quote from: b0rsuk on March 08, 2017, 04:46:54 PM
this is not true.  though they do appear to MOSTLY ignore animals...lost several hauler pigs to manhunter boomrats

Thank you for information. I didn't leave them outside for a long time, just a little at the start and then towards the end when humans and animals ate all the kibble.

dragonalumni

Smokeleaf and the like can be administered MEDICALLY to a teetotaler, giving them a mood boost when they really need it, as everyone knows if the buzz comes from the doctor is still just medicine.

During heatwaves or coldwaves, why not lock everyone inside and let them catch up on the cleaning, crafting and cooking.

Drugs, dead bodies and unwanted gear can all be burned up in any random field or room using fire weapons, you don't need a crematorium.

You can make an indoor greenhouse (not hydroponic) to grow devil strand (or anything) year round in any climate using a just a heater and sunlamp.

Make at least two tables to eat at. One near the kitchen and another in the center of your base or wherever gets heavy traffic. It will increase the mood and save time walking back to the kitchen. You can also set up a 1x1 zone to have food delivered to your eating places saving even more time.

Make a 1x1 zone for "critical medicine" in your hospital so that your doctors don't have to go anywhere to do their butchery work.

The 1x1 zones can be also used for beer and joints in your rec room.

Set all your production job details to "drop on floor" as default for anything You will make more than 1 of to save infinite stretches of time.

Give your low shooting pawns a survival rifle, it has good distance and the accuracy bonus makes up for it's lower damage, very easily, 10 such pawns is a good match for most armies trying to come in with melee, pistols and sub-machine guns.

Go ahead and remove the scyther blade after downing a mech, but why not shoot it to death instead of shutting it down for some shooting XP.

Performing surgery (euthanize) on animals (instead of slaughter) or prisoners give valuable medical XP.

b0rsuk

Quote from: dragonalumni on March 09, 2017, 03:34:02 AM
Drugs, dead bodies and unwanted gear can all be burned up in any random field or room using fire weapons, you don't need a crematorium.

No, a campfire is enough.

Shurp

A campfire will burn drugs and clothes, but I don't think it's big enough for corpses?  (will have to check)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Limdood

Quote from: Shurp on March 09, 2017, 07:25:22 AM
A campfire will burn drugs and clothes, but I don't think it's big enough for corpses?  (will have to check)
This is correct.

Also, if you want to sell the deadman's apparel or play with fabric reclamation mods, a crematorium makes dealing with dead pawn clothes after a raid easier than a "field to be burned" - cremating is a hauling job, the same as bringing a corpse to a safe convenient location, and you don't have to micromanage stripping the bodies.

b0rsuk

For corpses i use a dumping stockpile and let my animals eat them. I can't be bothered to dig graves anymore, I do it only for members of allied factions. Crematorium has big research requirements and is not that great.

quxzcover

If your having trouble with sappers use a artifact to turn the Grenadier insane, they'll turn into normal Raiders.