Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

Rimworld is quite a complex game.  There are LOADS of object and mechanic interactions that go on, and some are quite subtle or often missed.

Think you know a lot about the game?  Want to share some of that knowledge?  Do it here!

Post a tip or trick that works in the game that YOU think others maybe, just maybe, don't know about. 

Here's mine to start it off: toolboxes, multi-analyzer, and vitals monitor efficiency.

Any number of work stations can be linked to the same 2 toolboxes.  range (and blocking terrain like walls) is the only limiting factor.  A carefully constructed workroom can have all workstations running at +12% (+6% twice from 2 toolboxes) with only having built 2 toolboxes.  The confusing wording is clarifying that you cannot stack insane % boosts by linking 24 toolboxes to your sculptors table...though you CAN link 24 sculptors tables to 1 toolbox.

This also works for:
Multi-analyzer.  Any number of hi tech research tables touching ONE multi analyzer will benefit.  In other words, more than 1 multi-analyzer = useless.  more than 1 hi tech research bench = great IF it can be placed touching the multi analyzer.

Vitals monitors.  Any number of beds (obviously a max of 4) can benefit from a single vitals monitor they are touching.  More than 1 vitals monitor touching a bed = no added effect.  More than 1 bed touching a vitals monitor = each bed benefits from the monitor simultaneously. 

Hope this helps anyone who was curious about the interaction with these objects.  Btw, all of these are personally tested and confirmed (connections show all affected workstations, i can research multi analyzer only items at multiple benches with only 1 analyzer touching those benches, and the info tab clearly shows the benefits of the single vitals monitor on all adjacent beds at once)

FalconBR

Place chairs, stools or armchairs (preferable) in front of all work stations, I didn't know about that, just discovered in alpha 16...
I don't know if you can place chairs in mortars! I try next game!

Perq

Quote from: FalconBR on February 10, 2017, 12:22:14 AM
Place chairs, stools or armchairs (preferable) in front of all work stations, I didn't know about that, just discovered in alpha 16...

Tried it with mortars - doesn't seem to work. :2 Does for everything else, tho.

Thing I got to know recently:
Bunkers are actually very good - cover from being in dark area (under the roof) adds quite a bit of cover, making it even harder to hit you.
Still trying to come up with the best design, but it seems to be far better than simple sandbag wall. :2
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

Limdood

Quote from: Perq on February 10, 2017, 02:14:36 AM
Quote from: FalconBR on February 10, 2017, 12:22:14 AM
As of A16, darkness no longer affects hit chance.

Your best cover generally involves a wall+ a sandbag...stand behind the wall, and the pawn will lean out (to behind the sandbag) to shoot, gaining cover from both the wall and sandbag.  This does constrain your field of fire a bit though.
Tried it with mortals - doesn't seem to work. :2 Does for everything else, tho.

Thing I got to know recently:
Bunkers are actually very good - cover from being in dark area (under the roof) adds quite a bit of cover, making it even harder to hit you.
Still trying to come up with the best design, but it seems to be far better than simple sandbag wall. :2

Perq

Well, this is... bad? :@ Why would it not matter? How can you hit something you cannot see well?
Does this mean hit chance is not longer affected by the night?
But you are still wrong.

giannikampa

I surround pool table with my spare armchairs, gives them comfort while playing. Plus i put a table in their range so people use them to eat/drink, plus i put all of this in a tv range plus some work stations and cooking station. more than one will sit and use them at the same time (if facing different directions).
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Perq

But you are still wrong.

Mkok

Quote from: giannikampa on February 10, 2017, 03:55:52 AM
I surround pool table with my spare armchairs, gives them comfort while playing. Plus i put a table in their range so people use them to eat/drink, plus i put all of this in a tv range plus some work stations and cooking station. more than one will sit and use them at the same time (if facing different directions).

I wonder, can you have them use armchairs while playing horseshoes as well?  ;D

PotatoeTater

I have tables and chairs placed throughout my base so when pawns get hungry they will go to the closest table. Prevents the ate on floor debuff.
Life is Strange

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

giannikampa

here you can see a conceptual hard use of armchairs, made it via dev mode to make it extreme,
they won't necessary go on a chair to play horseshoes. Maybe if you completely fill the room they will be considered on the chair..
Lol many got asleep when we were shoting the photo ;D

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

cultist

Don't underestimate pawns incapable of violent, who otherwise have good skills. When the rest of your pawns are half-dead or downed from a particularly nasty raid, the pacificst is the perfect person to rescue downed pawns, clean the blood, haul the loot etc. If they're a doctor, even better. These guys can often be the factor that prevents mental breaks in these situations by getting rid of corpses and such while your fighting pawns rest.

Mehni

Quote from: Limdood on February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM
Vitals monitors.  Any number of beds (obviously a max of 4) can benefit from a single vitals monitor they are touching.

I beg to differ.

mrm

Come on, vitals monitor costs only 180 steel (and no components), just make few of them and make a normal looking hospital room instead of pile of beds :)

makapse

Quote from: mrm on February 11, 2017, 07:32:47 AM
Come on, vitals monitor costs only 180 steel

Just 180 steel on sea ice? Thats a windfall.