Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mehni

But my power consumption man.

Nah, I'll admit using the double beds is ridiculous and impractical, but it shows that beds attach diagonally and you can attach up to 8 beds to a vitals monitor.

Draconicrose

If you put stools next to a stove's cooking spot and make a stockpile for food there, the cook won't even move when cooking. Make meals drop on floor and watch them get created at max speed.
I have a Rimworld Let's Play for you -> Let's Play Rimworld Playlist

b0rsuk

You can make miners work on the night shift, that way they automatically avoid many predators (which as of A16 sleep at night).

My skill 10 surgeon using normal Medicine in a sterile hospital with vitals monitor and hospital bed had a failure and catastrophic failure. Then I put a standing lamp in there. The next 2 operations were successes. Maybe light affects surgery success chance ??

Power Claws are interesting. They give a big bonus in melee combat. But a person having power claws for arms can still wield a gun and shoot (with slight accuracy penalty). This is currently the only way to fully use a colonist wtih both Shooting and Melee skills. You can buy power claws from Exotic traders sometimes.

You can 'operate' incapacitated Scythers to get Scyther Blades. If you get a colonist who can barely do anything, like a coma child / sheriff, you can turn him into a melee monster. Replace his arms with scyther blades. Note scyther blades give a big penalty to Manipulation (so shooting accuracy etc).

Pants and t-shirts/button down shirts give marginal protection and insulation. If you're short on material, make them out of something cheap, like cloth or your worst leather. And don't make them out of wool unless you have abundance of it.

The best apparel against heat are cowboy hats and dusters. Against cold - tuques and parkas. But parkas use lots of material and give a hefty -20% global work speed penalty! You can craft dusters instead, they offer the same cold protection as jackets and protect more against damage. Jackets are the cheapest of the outer layer apparel, have no work speed penalty like parkas and if made out of wool are warm enough for ice sheet. Good for workers and non-violent types.

After armor pieces and helmets, the best apparel to protect from damage is a duster. Use devilstrand or leather.

Mehni

No. Light does not have any effect on surgery success chance.

Neither do hospital beds or vitals monitors for that matter, all they influence is the treatment quality. Treatment quality for diseases/wounds is different from surgery.

R3d0gr3

put sterile tiles directly under workstations and tables to increase room cleanliness without the need to (often) clean, great for early/small colony kitchens, hospitals, and research

Shurp

If you forgot to mark gravel patches on your ice sheet with the "plan" before the snow buried them fear not, you can still find them.  Just start designating large growing zones.  Any gravel in the zone will show up in a farm patch.  Now you can use the plan to designate them and delete the growing zone.  Later on you can put a greenhouse on it.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Another helpful ice sheet tip: buy awful wooden sculptures from exotic goods traders, then deconstruct them to provide wood for campfires in your greenhouses when solar flares hit.

(Bulk goods traders?  What are those?  Haven't seen one of those in years... :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jpinard

@Limdood thanks for this thread.  It has been incredible helpful and an awesome read.

Hans Lemurson

I just learned from one of the in-game tips that ranged pawns will always be able to shoot past the guy directly in front of them without friendly fire.  Now I understand how a melee/shield pawn can protect your gunners.

I also realized that this is perfect for the "Firing Range".  Have your shooting trainee stand one tile away from a wall, and start shooting at it.  When your construction pawns run over to start repairing the damage, there's no danger of friendly fire!
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

makapse

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 12, 2017, 01:57:00 PM
I just learned from one of the in-game tips that ranged pawns will always be able to shoot past the guy directly in front of them without friendly fire.  Now I understand how a melee/shield pawn can protect your gunners.

The big problem with that is that the opponents will aim for the shielded guy and when they miss(which will be many times) they get a guaranteed hit upon a pawn in a neighbouring tile which is selected at random.so its a guaranteed 12.5% hit on the shooter which is many times more than a direct shot, especially by tribals.

SpaceDorf

Store Animal Corpse in the Freezer, Butcher on Demand.

corpses need less space than their products.

( learned that myself only recently )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Shurp on February 12, 2017, 01:13:41 PM
Another helpful ice sheet tip: buy awful wooden sculptures from exotic goods traders, then deconstruct them to provide wood for campfires in your greenhouses when solar flares hit.

(Bulk goods traders?  What are those?  Haven't seen one of those in years... :)
Ahaha and I've only seen ONE exotic trader until 5502. I jumped from piss poor to over 5000 silver, bionic arm, bionic leg (in advance!), 2 Shooting neurotrainers (in advance!),  bought out the entire stock of glitterworld medicine and a fennec fox. But a very good tip, thanks! Now I'm broke again because I bought power armor. I donate my silver to charity, trying to see how high I can push faction relations.

Zhentar

I also realized that this is perfect for the "Firing Range".  Have your shooting trainee stand one tile away from a wall, and start shooting at it.  When your construction pawns run over to start repairing the damage, there's no danger of friendly fire!

You might not want do that... Within the three tile radius, friendlies are guaranteed not to intercept bullets, meaning they won't get hit when they are on the path in between the bullet and the destination. But they're fair game at the destination - misses which hit the tile they are in can still hurt them.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Zhentar on February 13, 2017, 11:23:47 AM

You might not want do that... Within the three tile radius, friendlies are guaranteed not to intercept bullets, meaning they won't get hit when they are on the path in between the bullet and the destination. But they're fair game at the destination - misses which hit the tile they are in can still hurt them.

You could put the shooting range in an enclosed room so it can be repaired from outside.
Put the door in the direction away from the most probable direction your other pawn will come from.

-- EDIT --

And remove the Homezone on the inside.  So nobody comes to clean or repair on this side.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Jimyoda

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 13, 2017, 01:06:38 PM
You could put the shooting range in an enclosed room so it can be repaired from outside.
Put the door in the direction away from the most probable direction your other pawn will come from.

-- EDIT --

And remove the Homezone on the inside.  So nobody comes to clean or repair on this side.
That doesn't sound like it will work without a fault. Unzoning the room would keep out cleaners, but can't pawns stand outside the home zone for tasks inside the home zone? So if a repairer happens to be walking near the door they might decide to go in to fix the wall.
Maybe if you had something against the wall in the room that would prevent or discourage anyone doing repairs. I think sandbags might work because pawns can't stand on them.
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/