Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limdood

depending on colony wealth, set either:

tables and stools
small, but nice room with table and chairs (at least "a little bit impressive)
very impressive dining rooms

in various places around the map.
The first one will eliminate the ate without table mood penalty for pawns that are carrying a meal and eat it across the map - it also costs nearly nothing and boosts wealth a negligible amount...great for any map except sea ice.
The second will do that, and give a tiny mood bonus, and slightly delay some raiders who stop to bust it up.
The last one will give the max mood boost, delay raiders, but will cost a lot to rebuild and give bigger raids.

PetWolverine

Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 13, 2017, 09:40:43 AM
Store Animal Corpse in the Freezer, Butcher on Demand.

corpses need less space than their products.

( learned that myself only recently )

That depends on the type of animal. The info window for the corpse will tell you the amount of meat it will give. That's the maximum, and the actual amount you get will depend on the cooking skill of the butcher. If you expect to get less than 75 meat from a corpse, then butchering will compress it.

I've taken to forbidding grizzly bear and thrumbo corpses and the like so that smaller things get butchered. I had a thrumbo corpse sit in my freezer for over a year, long enough that a couple more joined it before I had cause to butcher it.

Jovus

For deadfall traps, different materials determine how much damage they do. Plasteel is best, followed closely by steel, then granite, then various other stones, and finally wood (and I think gold and silver).

I was just always making stone deadfall traps, thus sacrificing some damage. But now I know better.

GiantSpaceHamster

A whole bunch of cool tips!

It's a slow day...sorry...

SpaceDorf

Quote from: PetWolverine on February 13, 2017, 03:29:40 PM
Quote from: SpaceDorf on February 13, 2017, 09:40:43 AM
Store Animal Corpse in the Freezer, Butcher on Demand.

corpses need less space than their products.

( learned that myself only recently )

That depends on the type of animal. The info window for the corpse will tell you the amount of meat it will give. That's the maximum, and the actual amount you get will depend on the cooking skill of the butcher. If you expect to get less than 75 meat from a corpse, then butchering will compress it.

I've taken to forbidding grizzly bear and thrumbo corpses and the like so that smaller things get butchered. I had a thrumbo corpse sit in my freezer for over a year, long enough that a couple more joined it before I had cause to butcher it.

That was implied, but thanks for clarifying .. I still have a pack of 10 elephants in my freezer.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Limdood

For those that don't know, which many of you will, you can partially automate large portions of your colony by setting bills at production stations carefully.

Like setting "Cook fine meals - do until 60" then "cook simple meals - do until 20, no meat allowed"  will let your farm colony cook fine meals when it has the meat, but even if you don't have much meat, you'll still cook simple meals out of the veggies.

Smelt weapons (forever, all hit points, all quality, but only the types you never use), then smelt weapons (forever, low quality only, so you don't have half a dozen awful survival rifles sitting around), then smelt weapons (forever, very low hitpoints, low or normal quality) will remove most of the weapons you never use.  Same with burn apparel.

Lastly, MAKE apparel/weapons...the "do until X" will count items in stockpiles, so if your disposal is well automated, you can set these clothing or weapon creation bills up and the game will make sure you've got, say, 3 tuques or assault rifles - that are appropriate quality and hitpoints - always on hand.

Anxarcule

To avoid big explosions from batteries/stored power, wait for a battery to be fully charged and move/store it in another location making sure it isn't attached to any power line. 
Related to the above (and something I'll be setting up tonight), have a separate room full of batteries with a power switch so when the batteries are fully charged flip the power switch to remove the possibility of a surge.  Then when needed, you can flip the switch back on

Get an animal trainer to 16+ (training/taming wild boards) and try to train elephants - they are relatively easy to tame/train(75% wildness), can be trained to haul and are quite powerful in melee.

For psychic/poison ships, plant ~15 IED mines around them, get a safe distance away and shoot the ship... BOOM!  You should be left with a handful of weakened centipedes.  Be warned though, the blast will likely destroy some of the scyther corpses as well as the AI Core (less of an issue with poison ships)

If you want to harvest a prisoner's organs without the debuff, install a synthetic kidney (which will remove their real kidney), and then remove the synthetic kidney.  This might be the Expanded Prosthetics mod though

If you have a manhunter animal (e.g. thrumbo) wandering nearby NPC traders, shoot  the thrumbo and kite them to the NPCs - it will aggro them which may leave you with some items afterwards (and probably an angry, albeit weakened thrumbo).  Be sure to set you guys to hold fire so you don't shoot the NPCs by mistake causing them to go hostile

For infestations, if you can isolate them into an enclosed area (no matter how big or small) shoot an incendiery launcher / molotov cocktail so get some fires going and close the doors.  If they don't manage to put the fires out, the temperature will increase dramatically causing them to all to pass out from heatstroke, eventually getting hot enough for the hives (and insect jelly...) to combust.

Instead of cremating, set a dump stockpile outside your base for all your enemy corpses.  If not in a desert area, make the floor concrete beforehand in the surrounding area (and remove home area) and send in a colonist with molotov cocktails to burn everything.  Easy disposal!

makapse

Quote from: Anxarcule on February 14, 2017, 09:44:30 AM
For psychic/poison ships, plant ~15 IED mines around them, get a safe distance away and shoot the ship... BOOM!  You should be left with a handful of weakened centipedes.  Be warned though, the blast will likely destroy some of the scyther corpses as well as the AI Core (less of an issue with poison ships)

Now this is something that i learned from the thread after more than 2 years in rimworld(been here since alpha 9). Thanks! even having 5 IEDs will stop the headache that are the scythers lategadme when i preferred to heatstroke/frostbite(only when natural temp is -80C) them all.

Anxarcule

I would use at least 10 personally - because the scythers can spawn anywhere in the surrounding tiles 5 won't be enough to cover every square.  The only downside to this is the loss in resources/corpses - it can be hard to get a scyther blade if you are looking for one of those too.

Reaver

I don't know if this is because of mods or anything but I've had good success with selling stools (wood or surplus blocks) and animal beds (leather or cloth) early game before you have a dedicated crafter or artist available.

Place solar and fields in the wind turbine's marked zone to prevent tree growth and to make use of that space. Or you can add wind turbines over your existing fields for some extra power generation.

If you are like me and don't like having incomplete items lying around, make another bill (or several) with forever for that item above its main bill but limit its radius so it has no access to any of the materials (so they don't make a new instead!) so pawns with those items to complete will eventually finish them all even if they would be going over the crafting limit you've set for that item. Only restrict the radius, don't forbid the material otherwise they won't work on them. I think if you want to prioritize an item with a certain material first, then do the same but allow just that material so they only work on the item made of that material for that bill.

Euzio

- In biomes with snow, if your colony is expansive and you like to build multiple buildings for different purposes, consider building pillars of sheltered walk ways to different buildings so that when it snows, you don't have to shovel away the snow repeatedly (works better when you have mods like better pathfinding).

- To protect your outside Geothermal generators from lightning or wildfires, wall off 3 sides of it and build a roof over it, on the open side, tile up at least 2 rows of tiles and leave the roof open on 1 tile length (to let heat escape). You can then wall up the rest of it and put a door for repair access when necessary.

- In cold biomes, when you're able to, try and tame muffalos that come by. Muffalos (along with dromedaries) are one of the best farm animals to have around. They give a pretty substantial amount of food (milk, and if you choose to slaughter them to control the population, they have one of the highest meat yields), muffalo wool is one of the best materials to make coats from (you can afford to make either dusters or jackets from it so you don't have the speed penalty from parkas unless in extreme cold), and they make decent pets to help in defence with.

- If you have embrasures mod and the mod with shooting range, construct the wall behind your shooting target with embrasures. It will save the need for your pawns to repair the wall behind it (and thereby avoid friendly fire).

Limdood

Quote from: Euzio on February 19, 2017, 11:03:02 PM
- In cold biomes, when you're able to, try and tame muffalos that come by. Muffalos (along with dromedaries) are one of the best farm animals to have around. They give a pretty substantial amount of food (milk, and if you choose to slaughter them to control the population, they have one of the highest meat yields), muffalo wool is one of the best materials to make coats from (you can afford to make either dusters or jackets from it so you don't have the speed penalty from parkas unless in extreme cold), and they make decent pets to help in defence with.

I'd argue that alpacas are FAR better for wool...alpaca wool is VERY good for all temperatures (dromedary is slightly better for heat, but significantly worse for cold, muffalo is the opposite), and alpaca wool grows faster than any of the other animals

For milk, cows are miles ahead of any other animal for production. 

Muffalo are great for hauling in caravans, but other than that, you'll get way better milk/wool production from alpacas and cows (if you can get them) - even to the point where the alpaca wool far outdoes the muffalo wool+milk combined.

b0rsuk

Colonists are slowed when walking over items. So when you design a storage room, don't just fill it with a stockpile. Make gaps in the stockpile zone so pawns can traverse it quickly.

Quote from: Anxarcule on February 14, 2017, 10:32:08 AM
I would use at least 10 personally - because the scythers can spawn anywhere in the surrounding tiles 5 won't be enough to cover every square.  The only downside to this is the loss in resources/corpses - it can be hard to get a scyther blade if you are looking for one of those too.

Instead, place a couple of IED traps on the corners of the psychic ship (diagonally adjacent), poke it and run away. They are the highly travelled spots, and you will soon hear explosions. You don't need to cover every square, just the spots they like to walk across. And frankly, I think 10-15 components spent on a simple event like psychic ship is a waste. Just a couple is enough to damage them significantly, so survival rifle or two will take them out quickly. Sniper rifle destroys a ship without risk as long as you micromanage. I only use IED traps sometimes to save time, and to make harassing with survival rifle less risky in absence of sniper rifle. If using survival rifle, I always use a decoy colonist in cover, ideally with personal shield and armor.

Anxarcule

Later on in the game when you have 30+ mechanoids pop up they appear in every spot around the ship, so four corners wouldn't deal enough damage.  At that point since you also get so many corpses your net component gain is positive at any rate from disassembly (even more so with a bionic 20 skill crafter). 

Early game when you're dealing with a handful of mechanoids I generally resort to a few snipers to take them out as components are rare and IEDs are overkill (or not even researched) - this also gives the best chance of knocking out scythers so you can snag a few scyther blades for great money. 

Great tip on the stockpile room - my killboxes/doors to the outside are lined with metal scraps to slowdown incoming enemies but I never considered the time saved for haulers by having empty walkways in the stockpile room. 

makapse

Quote from: Anxarcule on February 20, 2017, 10:49:48 AM
Later on in the game when you have 30+ mechanoids pop up they appear in every spot around the ship, so four corners wouldn't deal enough damage.  At that point since you also get so many corpses your net component gain is positive at any rate from disassembly (even more so with a bionic 20 skill crafter). 

Early game when you're dealing with a handful of mechanoids I generally resort to a few snipers to take them out as components are rare and IEDs are overkill (or not even researched) - this also gives the best chance of knocking out scythers so you can snag a few scyther blades for great money. 

Great tip on the stockpile room - my killboxes/doors to the outside are lined with metal scraps to slowdown incoming enemies but I never considered the time saved for haulers by having empty walkways in the stockpile room.

Exactly what i meant. Its really hard to prevent any permanent limb loss/death when 20+ sythers pop out of the ship.4 IEDs on the corners and 2 at the middle of the long side should reduce them to a manageable size.

Wrt stockpile, is it really that useful to have the pathways for clothing/weapons. As i understand, there are some entities that take up some space(like the chunks) and reduce speed drastically, but i have never noticed it at my home stocks.It might be that me having them in a dead end might reduce the effect.