Post a cool tip you know about!

Started by Limdood, February 09, 2017, 11:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Quote from: quxzcover on March 09, 2017, 12:49:38 PM
If your having trouble with sappers use a artifact to turn the Grenadier insane, they'll turn into normal Raiders.

Snipers work, too.

It is also a sweet tactic against sieges.
Keep sniping the guys who build the mortars.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

b0rsuk

You can take your animals with you off the planet if you Journey to the friendly AI ship. Any and all of them. But be aware that food cost for the long caravan is horrendous, especially if you have carnivores (will eat pemmican or kibble though).

kalan

If, like me, you are a fan of hidden valleys enclosed in the mountains, you can see which areas under the mountain you can completely unroof by their color: if the walls are a lighter color than the surrounding ones, the area can be unroofed.
I also found quite interesting digging the mountain walls that touch the sea, and then unroof the areas as much as possible: this way, depending on the map, you can sometimes get enough unroofed space to place a solar generator (or, with the right mod, turn the floor into soil for farming) that is faced towards the sea, safe from direct attack from raids.

b0rsuk

EMP Mortars can serve as overpriced EMP IED traps. They're currently the only way to get an EMP IED Trap. The funny thing is they don't even need to be loaded with shells! It lasted long enough for the trio of starting colonists to kill an inferno centipede in melee. It tried to shoot me twice in melee when the stun wore off, but missed, and only attacked in melee once.

The same trick works with all mortars. They explode using their corresponding 'element'.

b0rsuk

Minigun, not scyther blades, is the ultimate 'melee' weapon! What you see is a result of a *single* volley fired from 1 tile away. 26 hits * 8 damage = 208 damage, and there wasn't a single 'ding' of a personal shield taking hit. For anyone wondering, that's well over twice DPS of charge rifle, and the target has to survive the initial volley for the cooldown to matter.

To clarify, you use one colonist with personal shield to tie the enemy, and one minigunner to deal the damage. Power armor is not necessary, just use helmet, vest, and a shield.

Now go thrumbo hunting and make me proud!

AngleWyrm

Having trouble with those darn centipedes? Tisiphone Enterprises has the solution for you:
Try the Harrower Kinetic Lance today!

This message brought to you by the happy customers of Rimsenal

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Limdood

Quote from: AngleWyrm on March 10, 2017, 06:40:53 AM

Having trouble with those darn centipedes? Tisiphone Enterprises has the solution for you:
Try the Harrower Kinetic Lance today!

This message brought to you by the happy customers of Rimsenal

alternatively, grenades are a fantastic anti-centipede tool.  EMP ones are obvious, but regular frag grenades take centipedes out far faster than any gun in a 1-1 comparison. 

b0rsuk

How to dress your colonist like a perv:

1. Find a non-skinny colonist, those with 'creepy breathing' work best.
2. Make him put on a duster.
3. Make him drop all other clothes.

dragonalumni

Wearing a dead-man's clothes can be a bummer.  So the next time you down an enemy but it doesn't die make sure your strip him/her before your bash/shoot them in the head.

mumblemumble

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 10, 2017, 11:11:31 AM
How to dress your colonist like a perv:

1. Find a non-skinny colonist, those with 'creepy breathing' work best.
2. Make him put on a duster.
3. Make him drop all other clothes.

This made me laugh.. ... a lot.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

b0rsuk

To avoid intense micromanagement of a melee colonist, undraft him and change his threat reaction to aggressive (normally it's a running person, click on it until it becomes crossed swords). They will now automatically attack closest opponents.

The downside is they can't make use of war beasts, and personal shield won't activate.

grrizo

This one is pretty obvious, but if you're obsessed with mortars like me, the most efficent way to install them is in a "cross shape" way around a 5x5 room in the center, which serves as a shell depo. 4 autodoors for fast deployment.
Lavish meal, now with extra Yorkshire terrier meat.

Brutetal

Quote from: grrizo on March 10, 2017, 02:44:41 PM
This one is pretty obvious, but if you're obsessed with mortars like me, the most efficent way to install them is in a "cross shape" way around a 5x5 room in the center, which serves as a shell depo. 4 autodoors for fast deployment.

Actually it's much more simple to just plow down a "+"  with walls, then place an equipment rack on each "end" of the walls.
You have up to 200 mortar shells per deployment this way, which is enough and the walking distances are zero if you put the "seat" adjacent to the racks ;)

b0rsuk

You can make a bold claim about something you're not 100% sure about and people will fall over themselves to correct you and give you precise information. See my post about colony animals not being attacked by manhunters.

Shurp

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 10, 2017, 05:39:30 AM
Minigun, not scyther blades, is the ultimate 'melee' weapon! What you see is a result of a *single* volley fired from 1 tile away.

The image you posted looks almost exactly like the Marine from Doom carrying a chainsaw... with similar results!!!
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.