Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

If you wish, you can now play Alpha 17's test version on the 'unstable' Steam beta branch.

Bear in mind that this is an unstable version, so there will be bugs, and the build will be updated without warning, possibly breaking your saved games. Please only participate if you're okay with that.

For those who do want to be public testers - the purpose of this is for us to get your feedback! The most useful things you can give are:

• Bug reports: If you find a bug, please report it in the Bugs forum according to the very simple Bug reporting guideline. One bug per report thread please, and don't report bugs in any other forum than that please.
  • Play stories: Stories about something that happened that seem cool or wrong. These can go in this thread or on another General thread.
  • Balance feedback: Thoughts on the current balance and mechanics, ideally with a play story. These can go in this thread or on another General thread.
I'm only announcing this here because I don't want this going too far and wide in terms of news. To that end I'm also not going to lay out a whiz-bang feature upgrade list. I want to keep up some hype for the actual final release of the stable version.

I'm also requesting that video makers not use unstable versions (though I won't do anything about it if they do).

Also note that language translation and player creative content data is a few weeks out of date. It will be updated before final release.

Thank you all public testers for participating!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

I removed some off-topic/low-effort posts. Please stick to substantial replies here, thanks.

Edixo

That was fast!

Before I jump in with both feet first, what parts of A17 are already implemented in the unstable version?
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

Tynan

Quote from: Edixo on May 02, 2017, 05:58:57 PM
Before I jump in with both feet first, what parts of A17 are already implemented in the unstable version?

Everything significant, unless plans change a lot.

Neotic

Quote from: Tynan on May 02, 2017, 06:08:10 PM
Quote from: Edixo on May 02, 2017, 05:58:57 PM

i know you said you didn't want to post a full-feature list but can you list the significant changes or are they the same from your last post on the main page
BRAIN-OVERLOAD

Edixo

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 1974, 05:24:49 PM
Awesome. Thanks a lot. Keep up the good work.

Now I just need to find a spot with decent wifi that allows a Steam connection. Convenience store wifi doesn't.  :/
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

Praetorian

I'm presuming moisture pumps not affecting moving water is WAD? Makes logical sense that a pump can't really 'dry out' an area that has a continuous flow of water.

pdxsean

Is it just me or has the starvation mechanic been sped up considerably? I lost an entire (early) colony to starvation because it caught me off guard. With mental breaks still going on for very long periods of time, it's pretty easy for a mental break to lead to starvation, which could then quickly lead to colonist needs rescue.

Water graphics are a nice touch but it would be nice if there was a toggle in the options menu to turn them off.

Love all the new features and the much-improved visuals!

ShadowTani

Quote from: Praetorian on May 02, 2017, 07:23:30 PM
I'm presuming moisture pumps not affecting moving water is WAD?
Pretty sure that's intended yes, but as much as I also really love the scenic variation the roads and rivers now bring I do wish we could at least stretched power conduits across the rivers in some way (a power pole or similar).

Allowing building of wires in shallow water might look a bit off though, and I doubt Tynan would want to add an object as niche as only dealing with a river crossing. However, if the object would in addition to connecting power conduits over a distance also connect other powered devices over a greater distance than the default 5 tiles regular wires allows, then it could be pretty useful outside the river scenario's too imo.

But then again, this construction limit might also be considered a new challenge you just have to learn to adapt to.

Franklin

Infections seem really easy to acquire now.

Tekuki

idk if this the place to post this but infection in a17 unstable branch is a bit harder since med finish fast in early game, and getting a infection after tending someone is a bit annoying, i understand what you doing but it kinda annoy how high the change of getting one after getting treated

O Negative

As a point for balance, I'd like to say just a few things about the new base generation when raiding another faction.

I absolutely love the new base generation! :D

• Separate buildings, instead of one giant rectangle
  • Crops give the base a more realistic feel
  • A sort of FOW for buildings you haven't entered
  • Turrets to prevent different cheesing tactics
But...
I absolutely got screwed over in terms of loot, half of the time.
Literally found a room full of nothing but mediocre clothing.
Deconstructing things on the map for raw resources was often my best reward.
Perhaps that's as intended?
I'm not sure; All I know is that I'm probably going to need a better motivation for attacking others than loot now.
The risk/reward ratio is just too low for me, unless I'm missing something ???

As a point for aesthetics, you've done an amazing job making the experience more immersing with the changes to certain textures.
At least, that's my opinion :)

jchavezriva

Common mental breaks cant be so efficient at disconnecting someone from real life. Please you must do something about it.
Unless you are severely bad on the head, a sad wandering is never going to be enough for you to hold still while a raider is shooting or stabbing you.

Congrats on the rest of the work though, it looks really good until now.

Beider

Quote from: O Negative on May 03, 2017, 12:22:37 AM
As a point for balance, I'd like to say just a few things about the new base generation when raiding another faction.

I absolutely love the new base generation! :D

• Separate buildings, instead of one giant rectangle
  • Crops give the base a more realistic feel
  • A sort of FOW for buildings you haven't entered
  • Turrets to prevent different cheesing tactics
But...
I absolutely got screwed over in terms of loot, half of the time.
Literally found a room full of nothing but mediocre clothing.
Deconstructing things on the map for raw resources was often my best reward.
Perhaps that's as intended?
I'm not sure; All I know is that I'm probably going to need a better motivation for attacking others than loot now.
The risk/reward ratio is just too low for me, unless I'm missing something ???

As a point for aesthetics, you've done an amazing job making the experience more immersing with the changes to certain textures.
At least, that's my opinion :)

I feel the exact same, if you consider time, resources and manpower invested in raiding a base those could all be spent on less risky ventures for better profit (like making a mining base or simply growing and selling).

Instead of loot it would be cool to see some other kind of rewards like,
- Rescuing colonists that were taken away by raiders.
- An event to rescue people (maybe 2-4 people) that would then 100% join you if you did so.
- Rescue tamed animals? (Get a pack of 10 muffalos or 2-3 thrumbos that are tamed could be a good reward)
- Assassinate faction leaders? (which would trigger some change, maybe request from second in command then you get better relationship once they take over)
- Destroy local faction bases to reduce their raiding capacity?

In general something else than loot so there would be more of a reason to risk a raid on an enemy base. Obviously this would be out of scope for A17 but perhaps something to consider in the future.

Raccoon

Do we have a list with all updated features? New Modding Features woud be nice to know.