Alpha 17 is on public unstable branch

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2017, 02:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dv

Anyway; I keep running into this (UI bug?): When I have stacks of stuff, they don't consolidate properly in the trade window. I thought maybe it was because they had different remaining HP, but going through my storage room, everything is 100/100 and some things do stack normally. (Cotton cloth.)

My best guess is that Simple Meals are getting divided up by ingredients type or remaining shelf life or something (?).

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

kenmtraveller

I also noticed the 'high skill pawns have multiple failures in a row' thing, and it definitely feels like a change from A16.
I just lost a game to my first A17 psychic ship...no spoilers, lets just say some strategies that worked well in A16 may need to be rethought :)  A17 combats seem to be harder across the board than A16 , Randy Extreme is proving to be quite a challenge now!

Ken

RemingtonRyder

One of the changes from A16 to A17 is that generally, bigger numbers are better. So, success rate rather than failure chance.

I had a peek at the construct fail thing in the job driver for finishing frames when I was making a mod for A17. It seems fine, but here's a worked example:

Lyn the builder has skill 14 in Construction.
She has some minor scars, but a buff to her construction speed because of good mood. Speed is 265%.
Her construction success rate is 95%.

Let's say she's building a wooden double bed. This requires 21 work to complete.

Failure is assessed during the building process. The RNG must roll lower than 1 - SuccessRate^(Speed/TotalWork) to fail the construction. In this case, it must roll lower than about 0.00645.

Now let's say that we give Setsu, a builder with level 3 skill in Construction, this same job.

Success rate 88%, Speed 125%

In this case the RNG needs to roll lower than 0.00752.

I'm not sure if faster construction speed means fewer chances to fail, because construction progress fills up quicker per work cycle with Lyn doing the job. If you take speed difference into account, Lyn has fewer rolls and therefore a much lower cumulative chance to fail.

As the amount of work to finish a job increases, the exponent in the calculation significantly decreases which means a much lower fail chance per work cycle, but obviously more chances for that individual worker to fail that job.

nufa

This is what I got when first open, using Linux

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

shentino

Quote from: Tynan on May 06, 2017, 05:07:03 PM
Equatorial climates typically have two seasons - wet and dry.

Currently the game only outputs the 4 temperate seasons, but I'd like for it to actually name the local seasons more accurately. There would be 3 basic regimes:
--4 seasons
--Wet and dry season
--No seasons (desert, high polar regions)

There are probably others as well. I'd have to do some research.

Anyway the upshot is that you really cannot use this sort of local climactic pattern as a global calendar.

But you do need a global calendar. The main options I see are:
-Quadrum names as now
-Use real month names and skip 2/3
-Some other quadrum names (maybe latinized numbers - unumber, duember, etc or something better).
-1st quarter, 2nd quarter
-No month or quadrums, just use "1st day of year", "23rd day of year", etc.

I'm happy for suggestions but just asking to have seasons without any dating system will leave quite a few unsolvable problems.

Why not just solve it the same way you do IRL?

The names of the months are only part of the calendar, and the sun, earth, moon, and stars couldn't really give a rat's ass about the calendar when it comes to seasons and weather.

Mihsan

Wow, this plague is deadly.
- On day 25 I had plague event pop up (3 people affected). Clean hospital, rest untill healed, lvl 6 doctor, lots of herbal medicine (and even 3 units of normal medicine) - best that my tribe could provide.
- On day 26 I had to fight off big raid. Only couple of very light injuries, but everybody had to fight (so no bed rest for couple of hours).
- On day 27 it was obvious that nobody will survive so in desperation I gave them luciferium (I had just 3 units from some raider) when plague was at ~75%.
- On day 28 two people died (both on 91% immunity) and one survived (plague stoped at 98%). Age: 22 (survived), 28 (dead), 44 (dead).
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Topper

There seems to be too much food growing on my maps..I've only played boreal but there was so many berry bushes and healroot popping up that I didnt notice I landed on a Never planting season area for the first season or two.  Anyone else have tons of berries and healroot?

Mihsan

Quote from: Topper on May 07, 2017, 06:52:49 AMAnyone else have tons of berries and healroot?
I am playing in boreal forest right now. I dont think that there is too much of wild plants. First two seasons they were helping me alot, but in the middle of the winter I could survive only by hunting. Ammounts of berries close to my base were too low to feed even 3 people.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Mihsan on May 07, 2017, 07:12:41 AM
Quote from: Topper on May 07, 2017, 06:52:49 AMAnyone else have tons of berries and healroot?
I am playing in boreal forest right now. I dont think that there is too much of wild plants. First two seasons they were helping me alot, but in the middle of the winter I could survive only by hunting. Ammounts of berries close to my base were too low to feed even 3 people.

Playing on boreal forest too. The amount of wild plants seem to be just perfect. Not nearly enough to feed a tribe of 5 on its own, but with hunting it's absolutely perfect. On warmer maps though, it seems to be rather abundant. Maybe that's the way it should be though? The temperate areas are supposed to be fairly easy.

myfirstme

Quote from: Tynan on May 06, 2017, 05:07:03 PM
Equatorial climates typically have two seasons - wet and dry.

Anyway the upshot is that you really cannot use this sort of local climactic pattern as a global calendar.

But you do need a global calendar. The main options I see are:
-Quadrum names as now
-Use real month names and skip 2/3
-Some other quadrum names (maybe latinized numbers - unumber, duember, etc or something better).
-1st quarter, 2nd quarter
-No month or quadrums, just use "1st day of year", "23rd day of year", etc.

I'm happy for suggestions but just asking to have seasons without any dating system will leave quite a few unsolvable problems.

I am a big fan of KISS, keep it simple stupid.

That's why my preference: 1st quarter, 2nd quarter etc. That makes the most sense and is completely intuitive. Unlike basically all the alternatives.

Awe

Played about a year. Cassandra/intense.

4 raids. All come without high quality weapons or armors.
Already lose a lots of body parts - most of pawns without some fingers, etc. Starter labrador lost nose, tail, front paw and kidney... sigh.
Infections is frequent but manageable with skill 10 doctor and herbs.

Foraging even crappier than before. 10 berries from bush instead of 30 and still must do it manually? Sorry, but no, fields of rice still my choice - 2 steps from freezer and no need in MM.

Alpacas now give 150 wool instead of 120. Muffalos give 12 milk(was 6).
Didnt check cows/pigs/chicks - probably some good changes here too.

Got some new quests. 2 times near settlements ask me for caravan of bricks(~800) - imho too early. One time they gave me coords of neurotraineer stash. Also too early. Not a first year entertainment.  :P

About seasons. New names frustrating. I wish "X day of year" with "(spring/summer/autumn/winter)" or "(wet/dry)" addition.

Mehni

Infections causing reduced part efficiency is, quite literally, killing me. Or at least my colonists and prisoners.

There's no reason this prisoner should've died, other than the reduced part efficiency. She was beating the infection after a dose or two of regular medicine. At 26/40 HP, her torso was at 65% efficiency and the infection lowered it by a flat 70%. It's pretty inexplicable to me.

I had the same thing with infections in kidneys and livers. They seem to be more common now and they strongly reduce blood filtration. You can't survive an infection in either of those body parts.

AllenWL

This could just be me, but it looks like fires no longer trigger rain?

I had a dry thunderstorm which I ignored because normally, it rains before it gets too bad. It didn't rain even when nearly 5/8th of the map burned down. I only realized this about half a day after the thunderstorm ended, when the fire finally reached my base and burned everything down

whitebunny

Quote from: AllenWL on May 07, 2017, 09:28:37 AM
This could just be me, but it looks like fires no longer trigger rain?

I had a dry thunderstorm which I ignored because normally, it rains before it gets too bad. It didn't rain even when nearly 5/8th of the map burned down. I only realized this about half a day after the thunderstorm ended, when the fire finally reached my base and burned everything down

Yup, had a boomalope manhunter pack and decided to engage them far away from the compound to give Cassandra enough time to put out the ensuing firestorm.
That was the end of that colony, rain never came.

dv

I have grow zones reporting that they're in season, even though they're not. Maybe a temperature triggers it? Not 100% aware of the season changes behind the scenes?

http://imgur.com/a/8PUTb