Official: RimWorld Alpha 17 - On the Road released!

Started by Tynan, May 24, 2017, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamaicancastle

Quote from: Bozobub on May 27, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: Tynan on May 27, 2017, 01:51:09 PM
Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 27, 2017, 08:17:43 AM
Is it intended that a colonist with the Wimp trait is completely sidelined by pain from diseases, in this case Fibrous Mechanites? Normally Wimp would be a minor annoyance (this pawn can't even fight in the first place), and the mechanites are a mixed blessing, but combine them and he literally just spent 25 consecutive days totally bed-ridden... which actually made it much more debilitating than the lethal diseases I've encountered this game.

This was on the slightly-easier-than-normal Cassandra, incidentally, not that it makes much difference.

Sounds like an interesting game system interaction. What a wimp!
Sounds more like a completely useless pawn.
I don't know that I would call it interesting. I had enough other colonists that it wasn't critical, I would just glance over ever now and then and yup, he's still bedridden.

From an emergent system interaction standpoint, it's kind of neat, and from a story standpoint, it kind of makes sense, but from an actual gameplay standpoint it was really very dull and uninteresting.

hoffmale

Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 28, 2017, 12:35:31 PM
Quote from: Bozobub on May 27, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: Tynan on May 27, 2017, 01:51:09 PM
Quote from: jamaicancastle on May 27, 2017, 08:17:43 AM
Is it intended that a colonist with the Wimp trait is completely sidelined by pain from diseases, in this case Fibrous Mechanites? Normally Wimp would be a minor annoyance (this pawn can't even fight in the first place), and the mechanites are a mixed blessing, but combine them and he literally just spent 25 consecutive days totally bed-ridden... which actually made it much more debilitating than the lethal diseases I've encountered this game.

This was on the slightly-easier-than-normal Cassandra, incidentally, not that it makes much difference.

Sounds like an interesting game system interaction. What a wimp!
Sounds more like a completely useless pawn.
I don't know that I would call it interesting. I had enough other colonists that it wasn't critical, I would just glance over ever now and then and yup, he's still bedridden.

From an emergent system interaction standpoint, it's kind of neat, and from a story standpoint, it kind of makes sense, but from an actual gameplay standpoint it was really very dull and uninteresting.

Well, ...
Wimp plus short term pain is ok - it's what the trait should do.
Wimp plus long term pain can be a pita - but it can still be worked around, which makes it a somewhat questionable, but bearable.
Wimp plus permanent pain is just bullshit - yes, you could hope for a lucky luciferium trigger, but otherwise that colonist is worse than dead.

Ok, you can disable the trait with a painstopper - but try getting that one when you need it.

ReZpawner

QuoteAll pawns now have "head butt" attacks they can use if they're missing all other attacking body parts.

That's a terrible design decission. Why on earth didn't they go with "bite", so we could re-enact the scene from Monty Python and the quest for the holy grail?

shentino

I'm not seeing alpha17 listed in the betas on steam...

ReZpawner

It's no longer in the beta section on Steam. If you want to play A17, just go with "NONE - Opt out of all beta programs" in the settings. The unstable testing finished a few days ago, and the latest version is now live.

Panzer

Quote from: ReZpawner on May 28, 2017, 02:35:24 PM
That's a terrible design decission. Why on earth didn't they go with "bite", so we could re-enact the scene from Monty Python and the quest for the holy grail?

I think it is already pretty monty python-ish. Do you see that guy biting? Me neither ;D

Quote from: shentino on May 28, 2017, 02:54:54 PM

The main game updates automatically to A17, the beta branches are for people who want to stay on older upates to finish old savegames.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Panzer on May 28, 2017, 03:01:08 PM
Quote from: ReZpawner on May 28, 2017, 02:35:24 PM

I think it is already pretty monty python-ish. Do you see that guy biting? Me neither ;D

Quote from: shentino on May 28, 2017, 02:54:54 PM

The main game updates automatically to A17, the beta branches are for people who want to stay on older upates to finish old savegames.

Of course he's not biting - he still have one of his legs left!

Dashthechinchilla

Definitely enjoying the update. I am going to have to dial down the difficulty down a notch
Aparently my skillz relied to heavily on cheese tactics. I do fine on rough until the raiders start bringing all guns, and then I usually get wasted in that fight. It is frustrating for long term combat that someone seems to lose a body part every fight.

theapolaustic1

Quote from: ShadowTani on May 24, 2017, 06:05:06 PM
Am I correct in assuming that manhunting pack numbers are scaled according to at least their size, or their attack power? It seems something along that line, but not sure as it could just be a coincidence of Randy being random or my memory not being too good. But either way, oh boy, the faster smaller animals are WAY more devastating than the slow large ones when they arrive in a huge zerg that my colonists can't run away from (especially true when not on base), lol. Just thought I'd throw that out here since we where on the subject of manhunting animals. xD It makes it a nice two in one event, where one with large slow animals = free meat and leather event / while one with small fast animals = hide or get ganked event, or dwarf fortress level of FUN if you like xD

My thoughts on how to deal with this (haven't experienced it so just ideas): Forced-target with auto turrets individually, they'll die in the explosion when they horde on top of them.

Alternatively you could possibly handle them with a molotov, assuming your base doesn't go up in flames it might work? Depends on the situation.

SpaceDorf

I have to praise the Quadrums and their weird names.

They feel just outlandish and weird enough to fit the space-future setting and still recognizable enough to know humans made something old to fit completely different circumstances. Also it is no longer dependant on seasons .. the anouncement it is now summer in the midst of decembary first threw me off, then I thought .. "southern hemisphere" soooo coool.

It is just one tiny bit of fluff that made the game better as a whole. At least for me.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

porcupine

I'm a little disappointed I didn't get an automated email of this release (sendowl/ludeon/what have you).  Only saw that A17 came out, because of a thread I had subscribed to (which was long dead) seeing revival....

Something wrong with Sendowl???

Tynan

Quote from: porcupine on May 31, 2017, 12:53:33 AM
Something wrong with Sendowl???

Yeah, something went wrong.

EDIT: I've informed SO, they are looking into it.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

East

It 's strange to fight with one leg. If the person's legs are gone and the battle is too easy, raise the pawn's leg HP.

And if I am lost in both arms, I will run away with fear.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: East on May 31, 2017, 03:26:03 AM
It 's strange to fight with one leg. If the person's legs are gone and the battle is too easy, raise the pawn's leg HP.

You mean connecting the movement to body weight ?
Less weight means faster movement :-D
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

kenmtraveller

Quote from: East on May 31, 2017, 03:26:03 AM

I agree, I don't think the penalties to movement for missing a leg are nearly large enough.  I get that people can crawl, but in my last game my one legged guy remained one of my best fighters, even before I got him a peg leg.