Introduce yourself!

Started by Tynan, September 16, 2013, 11:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kubolek01

I'm basically weird 16yrs gamer. Got here through YouTube streams from RimWorld, registered when looking for bug solve. Currently my 2nd fav, 1st is Robocraft 3rd is Command and Conquer series. I had not much interesting stories around it, exept slaying all my animals when neutralising a toxic ship (these mood penalties...)
I shouldn't say my whole weird RP story that why i can somehow shift into Thrumbo at will!
It's annoying what glittertech can do...
Eat lead, walking pile of silver! (greedy Player)
I...I can't do it. Leave it alive, please!(inner soul)
It lives 200 years to end up as a jacket?!(realists mind)
If I would go to vacation in off-Earth, even fictional place, I'd choose Nibel.

Bolgfred

Vendui,
name's Bolgfred. Please, don't question it.

I play RimWorld and comment things in this forum. Sometimes I
do some things that could be called modding or butchering, but mostly I be asking questions.

-What introduced you to RimWorld?
I was baited by Steam. They said, RimWorld is like dwarf fortress. But this was not true. In DF there are no muffalos. It was fake news.

-What's your favorite other game?
The three big games in my life were KKND:Krossfire, Diablo 2 and Dwarf fortress.

-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
About 15 years ago I played on my computer in the basement while my pet rabbit was running around in the garden. I promised my mum to keep an eye on him. Suddenly he jumped into the hole in front of the basement windows, banged aganst the glass and died. It was a giant rabbit, so the windows got a little crack. Afterward we crafted a bone totem out of it. All craftsdwarfship was of the highest quality. But it was only rabbit bone.

-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
I think its coffee, but I cannot say for sure, as I barely remember what I have done before previously named drink.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Yeol

I'm Yeol the Clumsy (real name Michiel Van Loey), Belgian 55 year young gamer and modeller (model railway layout). I started gaming in the '80ies (King's Quest, Lazy Larry,...) and remained true to non-shooter games. Clumsy, because I'm litterally clumsy with mice, keyboards or other console stuff, which is often a real handicap during stressful situations (Skyrim fails are numerous)

Rimworld is right in the line of challenging games I like to play, with depth in problem solving and decision taking. Perma-dead has always been the way I played games, even when it's not an actual option: 1 life, 1 chance, with 1 exception: Planescape Torment (you known, you have to die to solve some riddels, which took me ages to discover since dying was the end of the game for me.).

Favorite other games at this moment are: Crusader Kings II, Cities Skylines, Transport Fever, Skyrim, but have kind memories of Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, Railroad Tycoon and Ceasar II.

Embaresing moments? Failing is part of the fun, also in Crusader Kings II, the game that excells in thowing you all it has for you to loose. I gamed for many weeks to finely being Empress of the Brittania. I was proud being the most powerful body in the game world. When suddenly, out of the blue, a bastard son murdered me, and took all of my titles in 1 blow. I lost it all in 1 second. Game over...

And that is Rimworld: the stories of the looser are more fun than one of the victorer.

By the way, I'm not a cereal man, but give me a sandwich with fine Belgian chocolate paste and a strong black coffee in the morning, and I'm happy for a day.

Dannyrulx

Hi! I'm Dannyrulx, but you (and everyone else,) can call me Dan, Danny, Daniel, That guy with a weird name, etc. 70 hours in Rimworld as of writing this!

-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Back when I was younger, the only non-flash game in the house was a copy of Civ IV BtS. That got me hooked on the strategy genre in general, and from there I found myself branching out into EU, Total War, Anno... And yes, all the classics; CoD WaW, BF3/BF4, Bioshock, SIMS...
Gotta be PAYDAY 2. I have sunk a truly embarrasing amount of hours into it.
Does crying all the time during emotional moments count? If not, then I suppose having all three of the Nekopara games and unironically liking them.
Pfft. Cornflakes all the way.

Count Wyu

:) Hello people of this forum, I have been dwelling this site for quite some time now and have finally decided to join. This game has consumed my free time and I am urged to start modding and share some of my ideas.

My favorite part of this game is letting mad rabbits or squirrels chase my well-armed people into their homes in fear; Sometimes I like to watch them be murdered by the rodents as they try to flee. Starting out as cannibal pirate Eskimos is also a favorite.

edit: thanks for moving this, did not see this intro post
"Shanking your Muffalos since I was a wee lad."

Check me out on YouTube

Snowcaller

Hi, I'm Snowcaller. Snow or Snowy is fine.

I've gamed for way over 30 years. A steam curator popped Rimworld up and it piqued my interest so i read a few reviews and jumped on in after curiosity became fascination. Took 2 minutes reading reviews before i was "Drokk Yeah!".

Star Control 2

I've owned both the 3DO and Atari Jaguar.

Maple-Pecan Crisp. Grape Nuts a close second.

ferrets

You can call me ferrets
Like my name suggests, I am in love with ferrets! And animals of all kinds.
I am 23 year old who has been playing games my whole life.
I am a loser otaku but I still enjoy being one
I am a very nice person but I have trouble communicating my thoughts

I saw the questions but I'm not very good at answering them. I am a person who likes all sorts of games, and especially love building up colonies and civilizations in games, even card or board games. It's fun watching it grow. I found rimworld because I spend too much  time browsing the Upcoming Game Realeases tab on steam and I found rimworld and was very captivated because I have always wanted to play dwarf fortress but I'm a visual person and the ASCII turned me off of it.

Thanks for reading. Cheers!

mvargus

I guess since I joined the forums today and started playing a week ago, I should add my comments.

I've loved management style games for years.  I love starting with little or nothing and building something.  The fact that you can tell a story with the game is only another factor.  I found it just checking on Steam for simulation/base-building games.

It varies depending on my mood. 

I refuse to admit to accidentally sending a single pawn to a "trade fair" only to have him captured by slavers."

I stopped eating cereal years ago.   I make omelets most mornings.

gipothegip

I haven't been online in forever, only made one post to report a bug, and have lurked since. But this is an interesting game that makes for some interesting stories, even if it's mostly pseudo random events. It can be very entertaining too as this game doesn't take itself too seriously.

Anyway, I want to join the discussion, especially as the other forums I visit have been lacking lately  :(

IIRC somebody was talking about it on the 7 Days to Die forums, and, as somebody who enjoys strategy and management games from time to time (as well as being interested by the concept behind Rimworld), decided to look up Rimworld and watched a couple of let's plays. Nothing too intensive or spoiling, but enough to know what kind of game I was getting into before I bought it.

-What are your favorite games? (This is probably going to be quite a list)

7 Days to Die is easily one of my favorite games, at least for the past couple of years. It's my most played game on Steam.

I really enjoy the Fallout series (except for 3) as well as the Elder Scrolls series.

Online gaming-wise I'd say Overwatch. I used to like Call of Duty, Modern Warfare 2 & 3, as well as World at War and the first Black Ops.

The PS 2 Ratchet and Clank games were amazing.

The older Command and Conquer games were great, so was Age of Empire 2. I also really enjoyed Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 when I was younger.

DOOM is a classic (the new one is pretty good too). Just forget the 3rd game happened.

I think that's everything :)

I'd have to say how I used to rage when I was growing up. Had some anger management problems back then. I once smashed my PS 3 controller in response to a few bad matches in Modern Warfare 3. It seems so stupid now, looking back. Like, seriously, I void my bowels over that game for some reason, but I kept playing (I did grow to like the game and not rage so much after that incident).

The healthy kind, at least the somewhat healthy kind. Stuff like raisin bran, or the Kashi stuff with almonds and granola. The super sugary cereals are garbage. But cereal really isn't that exciting to me.

-What other interests do you have?

Other than gaming, of course, I really enjoy comedy and music. I also have an interest in computers (such as programming and hardware), and have recently been reading some books on physics (like Michiu Kaku and Neil DeGrasse Tyson).

Comedy wise I mostly enjoy satire and farce. A good parody is quite enjoyable as well.

When it comes to music I listen to all shades of metal and some rock. I also like listening to industrial music, some forms of EDM (like hardstyle) & dubstep (I really like glitch hop, gang step, and  drum and bass influenced stuff), and some classical / symphonic stuff.
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Kirby23590

Well since i have been lurking around as an anonymous guest in the forums for a long while. My name is Kirby23590 but you can call me Kirby and no that's not my real name i just like the name  ;)

I'm a gamer at heart who grew up with the Sony Playstation 1 since i was a small child filled with many great ( and not so great ) games and hidden gems through my dad's collection. Then i got the playstation 2 and then the playstation 3 and i stopped there.
Now i buy games from steam including Rimworld since now i became a PC Gamer now.

I also run around youtube watching mostly video game related and listening to music videos my favorite channels are mostly gaming related but sometimes i also go watch anime related channels. Sometimes if the internet is not available
i'm somewhat also an movie fan. though i prefer animated films than live-action though there are some exceptions ( Mad Max, Rambo First Blood, the First Spider man Movie, Aliens, Starship troopers and the entire Harry Potter film trilogy etc.)
I mostly watched them in television mostly though HBO and some other movie channels.

Sometimes i read some web comics around or run around in wikipedia.

I may be a growing man yet i still act like an child or an teenager and sometimes i throw mini-tantrums since i'm a special person but i will try my best to control myself.

Quote-What introduced you to RimWorld? Or to this style of game in general?
Somewhere in 2014 or 2015 in youtube? I was running around in there watching Dwarf fortress related videos ( i think ) until i stumbled across in the video suggestion showed Rimworld and showed some attention to me until 2016 Watching Rimworld showed more interest to me and of course when it jumped to steam early access i immediately purchased the Game!

Of course I'm a fan of management games ( Dwarf Fortress, Evil genius, Theme Hospital ) tactical and strategy games ( XCOM Both the 2012 Reboot and the 1994 Original, Starcraft and Warcraft 3 and Command and Conquer ) and building games in general ( Minecraft, Terraria and Rollercoaster tycoon ) but also the modding scene which brought me to Rimworld.

Quote-What's your favorite other game?
Well that's a hard question. i would say dark souls but why not more than just one!

- The Classic Spyro Trilogy in the Playstation 1. My childhood!
- The Fallout Series Mostly New Vegas, well i used to be a fan until Four jumped out which divided the whole fanbase... so i just moved on.
- Rollercoaster Tycoon. Mostly the second game but the first one and third were also great but the Second was my childhood! ahhh great memories. 
- Dark souls. Well duh even my steam profile has the elite knight's face on it, also Demon's souls deserves a special mention :D
- Terraria. Really fun to run around fighting many things and exploring and of course the creeper costume! ( This user has beated the Golem without wings before the 1.3 came out. Since he prefers running around in foot instead )
- Battlefield Bad Company 1 for the PS3. I remember this and still remember the characters. why did they throw away the legionaries' mercenaries in the sequel they were more interesting to fight until they made it just for another generic bad guy instead? i wish they made a Third sequel to BFBC. Which is why i wasn't interested in Battlefield 1 :/
- Super Mario World ( Super Mario Advance 2 GBA ) Ahhhh i remember that my dad was hiding a SNES in his cabinet but i was disappointed that SMW wasn't there But at least it had Mario-All-Stars (Without SMW...) Not until i got a GBA from my Mom's Friend and wished for SMW in Christmas and boy i was happy when i got this game, i say this is the best mario game in my opinion.
- Far Cry 2. Yes it isn't FC3 but it was not meant for everyone and boy it was one heck of a ride. i say i like this more than Far cry 3 sorry Vaas ( i hated the protagonist in 3 ).
- Minecraft. I remember encountering this in the youtube frontpage back in the days when it was young. but now since i bought it when it became popular and still remembering my noob days and my greatest creations i built there...
- Cave Story. One of the most interesting games i played for a while. good and memorable characters. and overall good gameplay.
- Dwarf fortress. Well the !!FUN!! from that game comes from a werebeast eating my dwarves or accidentally flooding the fortress and the !!FUN!! In Rimworld comes from a thrumbo destroying everything or a toxic fallout happening somewhat early (Thanks Randy!)

Quote-Most embarrassing gaming-related story?
Well in this game when one of my colonists lost a leg to a Pila from a tribal raider. and misclicked euthanize instead of install peg leg... in Permadeath mode... Oops. 

Or when i was 9 years old dipping the game CDs in water to clean them to make them work or accidentally breaking the CD of one of the rarest games for the PS1... Auughhhhh...

Quote-What kind of breakfast cereal is the best?
Hmmm now that's kinda tricky... i would say Cookie Crisp cereal.

But now i would say Fanta grape flavor is my favorite soft drink ;D

Well that's all i had to say folks thanks for reading what i have to say!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

PatrykSzczescie

Hey, I'm Patryk and I like playing EpicMafia.

Stormtrooper

Hi,

As it's for me (and propably not only for me), I came here from Dwarf Fortress. The reason I started playing it was because it was advertised as "the most difficult game ever made", so despite the fact that high fantasy setting doesn't appeal to me that much, I decided: I MUST try it. Well... I won't say I was dissapointed. I simply felt insulted when after a few dozens hours it turned out to be a VERY easy game and the only difficulty was UI and controls being totally screwed. I imagine that propably many people won't agree, but in my opinion even... Anno 1503 is more difficult than DF in terms of gameplay. So I simply left DF, but I still wanted to play the game which was exactly like my first imagination about DF. And here I am, finally happy. Turns out DF-style game can have an easy controls, nice UI, and, most importantly, RimWorld IS difficult! ;D ;D ;D

Sceptik

Heya! im Sceptik. Im a good rimworld fan and i decided to be a part of this forum! You guys and gals would probably see me suggesting some ideas to rimworld or talking in general. So please introduce yourself to me! I would be very happy to make some friends. Bya!

maculator

Hi, my name is maculator
I'm a huge fanatic of of mods but on the other hand I'm a even bigger fanatic of using as less mods as possible. Sounds crazy and it is. I have played rimworld for about 100h and never made it, but it was awsome. And eventually I will leave the planet and be happy after all!

Haapz

Hi im haapz i finally made an account after some months of casually reading some stories and stuff
I got introduced to rimworld by a friend who sent some awesome pictures and stories randomly to our discord which included strange thrumbo tragedies and bionic eyes

a bit about me im a 20 year old locksmith im excessively interested in tanks (the kind that have cannons attached) and ive been a tank gunner during my service in the finnish military which also included shooting with assault rifles therefore im tilted at rimworlds shooting mechanics often :P (which doesnt matter tbh)
On top of that i also like hunting birds and spending weeks or days at my familys summer cottage which during the winter includes some rimworldy weather.

What i like most about rimworld is the struggle to survive in difficult conditions while having all the tools availible to overcome the struggle its very rewarding in my opinion and therefore ive played roughly 80 hours so far and steadily increasing.
So far havent 'won' the game but i consider the journey twice as interesting as the ending.