[A17] Rainbeau's Fertile Fields

Started by dburgdorf, May 29, 2017, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Thank you :)
And before I started playing .. this is going awesome.

Now I can finally build the perfect Boot Camp.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

KitsuneKas

So I've been playing with your FF mod for a while now and I very much love having it. I've also had your concrete mod installed for a while, but sadly I can't say the same about it. I've done some number crunching and it seems like the concrete mod is in serious need of some balancing. The brick walls in FF are fairly balanced, though their work to make could be reduced a tad bit. They are somewhat underpowered compared to vanilla bricks but considering that excavating a single space of dirt gives you the materials to make 3 walls, it suddenly doesn't seem too bad. They're a high-work, low-cost alternative.

I don't want to make the post too terribly long nor do I want to make this post all about what's wrong with concrete, but I've attached a text file with my suggestions and reasons for balancing the mod. Lemme know what you think.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

dburgdorf

Quote from: KitsuneKas on July 30, 2017, 12:38:36 PMI've done some number crunching and it seems like the concrete mod is in serious need of some balancing....

My first response, based on a quick look at your "suggestions" file: Wow. This is *exactly* the sort of well thought-out feedback that helps to make mods better. ;)

That said, obviously, I'll need to take some time to read over and consider it more carefully before I actually do anything about it. That won't happen today, but I should be able to spend some time going over your ideas later this week.

Thanks! :D
- Rainbeau Flambe (aka Darryl Burgdorf) -
Old. Short. Grumpy. Bearded. "Yeah, I'm a dorf."

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 30, 2017, 01:30:18 PM

That won't happen today, but I should be able to spend some time going over your ideas later this week.

Meanwhile, to keep you from enjoying your free time to much, I found out why there were so many roof zones over
the huge river on my last game.
Whenever I create deep water from shallow water the game places a roof area over it .. like when building doors.

dburgdorf

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 31, 2017, 01:52:09 PMI found out why there were so many roof zones over the huge river on my last game. Whenever I create deep water from shallow water the game places a roof area over it .. like when building doors.

That makes no sense at all. Beyond the fact that the game shouldn't be adding roofs, anyway.... The roofs just stick around, unsupported? I wouldn't have thought the game code would even allow that.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

SpaceDorf

No they don't .. if there is no support only the yellow "build roof area" gets created, which then gets roofed by pawns, if there is support nearby.  ( there is a exploit, where pawns actually build a roof above a single door, to have a indoor dining room without walls .. )

if some intrepid player was to build a wall next to shallow water, while thinking to himself .. now that would make a nice moat,
and suddenly noticing that the moat was roofed ..
I then turned on the zone designation and observed the process.
When the deep water tile was finished, a yellow roof zone would be created.

Just to verify I built a deep water in the middle of a lake .. it seems the roof only gets created when support is in range.
If I place a "no roof area" before hand, no roof zone is created.

I am testing out shallow water from marsh now ..

===== EDIT 1 =====

nope .. maybe the game recognizes the creation of impassable tiles as wall or door, in this case an open door, because bullets can pass through ..

and sorry, I did not want to disturb your fine meal :P

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

KitsuneKas

Quote from: dburgdorf on July 30, 2017, 01:30:18 PM
Thanks! :D

Happy to be of service! I try to make a point of not just figuring out that something's off but why and how to fix it. Since I'm bad at doing things myself I might as well try to be as helpful as possible those that do things themselves. I'm great at theory, just terrible at execution.

Unless it's raider prisoners. I execute them just fine.

On a side note, I've been lurking since A15 (just now making a forum account) and have only just now realized that it's burg dorf and not debugdorf. Never noticed the r. ;D

Edit: I did actually think of something else about the FF mod not the concrete one, but right now I'm still bouncing a few ideas around and would prefer to come up with a more...concrete suggestion before I bring it up.

Jibbles

I just wanted to make some rich soil, but I should embrace the terraforming.  Thanks for creating this awesome mod!  Also.. Thanks for giving Randy a way to send me piles of dirt in my cargo pods  :P

Canute

Jibbles,
if you got enough fertilizer, you can craft at the Crafting spot
Make dirt x10
Extract sand/clay from dirt
to get more dirt.

SpaceDorf

Rimworld is a Sandbox Game, it is to be expected that we play with dirt :)

Rainbeau ?, could you add a shovel and bucket to your mod ?
fitting to the right-tool-for-the-job mod

Schwartz

Can the reinforced sandbags be made to use any kind of hide? Right now it only allows cowskin, which is rare to say the least. Also it'd be nice if Thrumbofur was excluded from that.

dburgdorf

Quote from: Schwartz on August 04, 2017, 02:31:44 PMCan the reinforced sandbags be made to use any kind of hide? Right now it only allows cowskin, which is rare to say the least....

I'll double check when I get home, but I'm fairly certain the recipe defaults to using *any* sort of leather. In the meantime, you can, as with most recipes, tailor what is and isn't allowed on the "details" tab for the recipe at the workbench.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?

Schwartz

You're right.. weird that there was no popup the first time I tried to build the sandbags. Nevermind!

moonra

Quote from: Schwartz on August 04, 2017, 02:46:41 PM
You're right.. weird that there was no popup the first time I tried to build the sandbags. Nevermind!

I quite clearly remember this also happening to me, but it was a few days ago by this point and it was such a minor issue that I might be misremembering.

dburgdorf

Fertile Fields has been updated:

- It is now possible to extract sand and clay from dirt at a rock mill as well as at a crafting spot. Maybe now people will remember that the recipe exists. ;)

- It is now possible, as well, to convert dirt directly to clay at either a crafting spot or a rock mill. The yield is lower than if you first split the dirt into sand and clay and then as a separate step grind the sand into more clay, but the recipe allows for automation of bulk clay production.

- It is possible to fire bricks in a smelter, now, with a small gain in speed as compared to firing them in a smithy.

- Creating compost now utilizes the cooking skill, consistent with the fact that it falls under the Cooking work type.

Buy me a Dr Pepper?