A18

Started by RimworldOx, June 03, 2017, 10:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceteazz

_ I just want some " politics " and religious / cult in Rimworld, like vote for captain / leader/ majour,  or choice start a cult in your colony etc. Those will give us more tool to manage mood of people, and more events to handle.

stigma

Quote from: Sola on June 04, 2017, 07:43:40 AM
-Shelves
-Pawns eating at tables
-Pawns rearming traps without standing on them.
-Separate quality crafting (furniture) from non-quality crafting (floors/walls)
-More mundane research, like improvements on existing tech (shelves, super shelves, super duper shelves)

-Shelves (mod for this, in fact many different ones you can pick from)
-Pawns eating at tables (fixed with mod "table diner")
-Pawns rearming traps without standing on them. (fixed with mod "OSHA compliance", not sure if it's updated to a17 yet though EDIT: apparently equivalent functionality is now default in A17 so this is not needed anymore)
-Separate quality crafting (furniture) from non-quality crafting (floors/walls) (fixed very well with mod "quality crafter)

But of course, just because there exists a mod that fixes a vanilla issue doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the base-game. It should in many of these cases. Tynan is actively working on integrating many QoL vanilla-friendly mods though, so that effort is underway. There's a thread on it.

Meanwhile I hope those mods fix your issues. I use them myself and have to say it's hard to imagine playing without them now as they are straight upgrades to vanilla.

-Stigma

Snafu_RW

Quote from: stigma on July 09, 2017, 12:51:07 PMTynan is actively working on integrating many QoL vanilla-friendly mods though, so that effort is underway. There's a thread on it.
link please?
Dom 8-)

milon

I believe stigma is referring to the thread where modders can nominate their own mods for inclusion into vanilla. This is not a guarantee that Tynan will use it, of course.
Link: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29505.0

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Snafu_RW on July 07, 2017, 08:12:39 PM
Quote from: Renegrade on July 04, 2017, 04:24:59 AM

They DO kill each other.  A social fight can end in a death, even with unaugmented pawns.  I'm not sure what you mean by "immobilize", they can cause permanent limb loss -- usually just fingers and toes, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out arms or legs have been lost in some cases.
Try 'arrest' or maybe 'subdue' for owned-pawns. Melee with min dmg (so claws, if fitted, aren't used; scyther blades however..)

Pawns can resist arrest, causing more of the same problem.  Even unarmed pawns using nothing but fists can and occasionally will kill each other in a "social fight".

Human beings are relatively fragile, so in reality it is possible to kill someone bare-handed.  If you're really freaking strong, you can also cause permanent damage simply by catching someone in the head the wrong way.  However, this is not a "x percent chance someone dies if you punch them and they fall down".  On a per-year basis the rate of accidental death from fistfights is pretty darned small, and that's with enormous samples.

Rimworld isn't reality of course, but given the minimal agency with this mechanic it would be nice to see the loss of extremities and death from basic fist fights toned down, same with the enormous social penalty for ugly pawns (it's too large when compared against other negatives; someone being very ugly should not induce someone to hate or fight more than having someone actually harm you).

leatra

Racks being able to hold more resources. Like 500 maximum for resources like steel and wood. I wouldn't have to build giant storage areas that way.

TrashMan

Better handling of stockpiles. Like preffering to maximize a stack.

When I see 5 stacks of 2-3 components, instead of one neat big stack, it triggers my autism.

TrashMan

Quote from: Nainara on June 04, 2017, 01:01:55 PM
  • A different approach to risk management could be a "deterrence factor" based on the aggregate firepower of the caravan relative to the value of the cargo.

But how would raider know the value of the cargo?

AngleWyrm

Quote from: TrashMan on July 11, 2017, 07:17:00 AM
But how would raider know the value of the cargo?
The same way they know about which stage coach, train or bank truck to rob. Probably evil witchcraft ;)
My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

Penguinmanereikel

Quote from: TheMeInTeam on July 10, 2017, 11:04:20 AM
same with the enormous social penalty for ugly pawns (it's too large when compared against other negatives; someone being very ugly should not induce someone to hate or fight more than having someone actually harm you).

Why wouldn't they kill each other over appearance? Real people kill over something as someone being too sassy, so this isn't too much of a stretch.

AngleWyrm

My 5-point rating system: Yay, Kay, Meh, Erm, Bleh

hiepbg

Tank or any armored vehicle with big gun for raid is great idea to destroy every killboxes at the late game. Defense will be more harder. Like the modern warfare, both raiders and tanks will come together, provide protect for the other. There is Only big mortar/mine/ or anti-tank missile can stop them at the gate.

And we can have some tank battle, 1vs 1 or 1 vs2 when our colonists can "crafting" a tank, or take it from the raiders.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on July 11, 2017, 11:48:46 AM
same with the enormous social penalty for ugly pawns (it's too large when compared against other negatives; someone being very ugly should not induce someone to hate or fight more than having someone actually harm you).

Why wouldn't they kill each other over appearance? Real people kill over something as someone being too sassy, so this isn't too much of a stretch.

Typically, those people aren't part of a small, close-knit community where they rely on each other for survival; They're typically strangers in a larger, disconnected societies.

Bozobub

Quote from: hiepbg on July 11, 2017, 03:19:54 PM
Tank or any armored vehicle with big gun for raid is great idea to destroy every killboxes at the late game. Defense will be more harder. Like the modern warfare, both raiders and tanks will come together, provide protect for the other. There is Only big mortar/mine/ or anti-tank missile can stop them at the gate.

And we can have some tank battle, 1vs 1 or 1 vs2 when our colonists can "crafting" a tank, or take it from the raiders.
I am not a dev, but I can pretty confidently assure you that's never going to happen, outside of one or more mod(s).
Thanks, belgord!

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Penguinmanereikel on July 11, 2017, 11:48:46 AM

It's a matter of scale.

If you go into a bad neighborhood and they only think you look ugly, you might get attacked.

If you go into that same neighborhood and start punching people, you're more likely to be attacked than in the first scenario.  But not in Rimworld.

In Rimworld, being even just ugly (forget staggeringly so) causes more hate (-20) instantly and permanently than ex-spouses and pawns that have caused direct, physical harm (-15).  Being staggeringly ugly (-40) is not that far off from breaking up with someone (-50).

The end result is that you will have people who are trying to survive randomly kill each other because the other one looks bad, with very little realistic agency against it.  From a gameplay perspective that's not good design.  If your pawns starve, you can trace that back to mistakes made.  If your pawns have chemical interest, you can avoid issues by not having drugs.  If your pawns are ugly, even if you put them on night shift there's a chance they'll randomly be attacked and someone dies.

If the only agency regarding a trait is to never accept pawns with that trait or risk them dying at random, you have a poorly implemented trait.  Even pyromaniacs aren't a "kill someone at random" trait.  Everyone would rather live with a bloodlusting psychopath than someone who is kind of ugly.  That's worth a look.