[1.0] Combat Extended - 1.8.2 CE Melee released (17.11.2019)

Started by NoImageAvailable, June 09, 2017, 04:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

There is no 1.0 version currently out.

There is only an unstable test build and some offshoot on Steam by a third party based on an outdated version before there even was a test build. I wish people would stop recommending people to download broken versions of the mod just so they can then complain to me about it being broken.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Eryx

I recommend you listen to the creator of the mod, then- if you're using the test build or some off-brand (I guess that's what I'll call it) version, expect these bugs. That's why I still play B18, despite its many flaws in comparison to '1.0.'

Jan2607

Thank you NIA, it sounded to me like it was a nearly finished version with only some balancing issues.

jager666

Is balancing will be also related to mass? Using the dev build now, basically a fully dressed pawn (flak pants + vest, bulletproof vest, backpack, pants etc) can't carry any ammo because or very small amount, the bigger guns like PKM are unusable unless you send the pawn rambo style half naked.

JT

Mass isn't actually the factor there, but bulk: bulk will usually top off long before your mass limit does.  You should be able to see that the second slider at the bottom will be pushing redline in no time at all.

But "balance" is the least of the problems.

The 1.0 milestone fundamentally revolves around a missing transpiler that bounces serious error messages in some pawn infocards (especially for pawns using the Humanoid Alien Races framework), which one person mentioned they were working on but has since found other diversions in the meantime... most likely due to how infuriatingly difficult it is to write transpiler patches. ;-)  (I'm sure they're continuing to work on it, of course.  I'm just trying to say that it's not an immediate thing and requires some pretty advanced programming skill.)

Numerous mods are still unsupported and will throw very nasty errors when you try to use them with Combat Extended.  While actual support is impossible on Combat Extended's part for everything, it does lack graceful fallbacks.  Some of that comes in the form of commented-out code in the source, i.e., code that had to be removed to get the mod to compile at all, which needs to be restored and completed before the mod reaches 1.0 parity.

Finally, there are mechanical differences between the B18 and B19/1.0 versions; it's not just a matter of balance but a simple fact that the mod must actually redesign content to fit the new framework it now resides in.  Penetration mechanics, ballistics, etc. all changed, for totally inexplicable reasons, on Ludeon's part.  In other words, it's not simply imbalanced, but actually missing.

Ultimately, what's there is functional.  But it's an alpha.  Errors should be presumed to be one's own fault.  If not one's own fault, fixing them is one's own responsibility.  If fixing them can't be done on one's own end, one must either accept them as the nature of the universe, or wait. =)

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: JT on December 07, 2018, 10:31:04 PM
The 1.0 milestone fundamentally revolves around a missing transpiler that bounces serious error messages in some pawn infocards (especially for pawns using the Humanoid Alien Races framework), which one person mentioned they were working on but has since found other diversions in the meantime... most likely due to how infuriatingly difficult it is to write transpiler patches. ;-)  (I'm sure they're continuing to work on it, of course.  I'm just trying to say that it's not an immediate thing and requires some pretty advanced programming skill.)

Inhowfar is it causing errors? The only transpiler in the current dev build not checked off should only affect the assign tab and then only cosmetically. All it does is set the preferred width of the columns to accommodate loadouts being there + change the buttons to older, more space efficient versions.

QuoteNumerous mods are still unsupported and will throw very nasty errors when you try to use them with Combat Extended.  While actual support is impossible on Combat Extended's part for everything, it does lack graceful fallbacks.  Some of that comes in the form of commented-out code in the source, i.e., code that had to be removed to get the mod to compile at all, which needs to be restored and completed before the mod reaches 1.0 parity.

Can you elaborate on that? Probably won't look into cross-mod support too much until work on the mod itself is done but can at least compile a list of things to look into later.

JT

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 08, 2018, 06:32:28 AM
Inhowfar is it causing errors? The only transpiler in the current dev build not checked off should only affect the assign tab and then only cosmetically. All it does is set the preferred width of the columns to accommodate loadouts being there + change the buttons to older, more space efficient versions.

Well, drat.  Here I was thinking that it was the obvious symptom of the missing transpiler so I didn't bother recording it and making a report. =)

I'll have to find and reproduce it since the output_log is long since gone (I've been testing patches willy nilly over the last few days, ever since I compiled and installed CE on Wednesday), but I was getting errors left, right, and centre regarding one of the statistics in the expanded info/stats view on -- I think -- an Atlas' Android Tiers pawn.

[edit]Found it (running 7719e24 devbranch commit):

Exception filling window for Verse.Dialog_InfoCard: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at CombatExtended.StatWorker_MeleeArmorPenetration.GetMeleePenetration (RimWorld.StatRequest) <0x00134>
at CombatExtended.StatWorker_MeleeArmorPenetration.GetValueUnfinalized (RimWorld.StatRequest,bool) <0x00043>
at RimWorld.StatWorker.GetValue (RimWorld.StatRequest,bool) <0x0014a>
at RimWorld.StatWorker.GetValue (Verse.Thing,bool) <0x00070>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) RimWorld.StatExtension.GetStatValue_Patch1 (Verse.Thing,RimWorld.StatDef,bool) <0x00066>
at RimWorld.StatsReportUtility/<StatsToDraw>c__Iterator1.MoveNext () <0x0039f>
at System.Linq.Enumerable/<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1<RimWorld.StatDrawEntry>.MoveNext () <0x001c5>
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1<RimWorld.StatDrawEntry>.AddEnumerable (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<RimWorld.StatDrawEntry>) <0x000d7>
at System.Collections.Generic.List`1<RimWorld.StatDrawEntry>.AddRange (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1<RimWorld.StatDrawEntry>) <0x000a1>
at RimWorld.StatsReportUtility.DrawStatsReport (UnityEngine.Rect,Verse.Thing) <0x001a3>
at Verse.Dialog_InfoCard.FillCard (UnityEngine.Rect) <0x000d3>
at Verse.Dialog_InfoCard.DoWindowContents (UnityEngine.Rect) <0x00881>
at Verse.Window/<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0 (int) <0x00882>

Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.<WindowOnGUI>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__0(Int32)
UnityEngine.GUI:CallWindowDelegate(WindowFunction, Int32, Int32, GUISkin, Int32, Single, Single, GUIStyle)

This one pinged on a "diprotodon" from Megafauna.

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 08, 2018, 06:32:28 AM
Can you elaborate on that? Probably won't look into cross-mod support too much until work on the mod itself is done but can at least compile a list of things to look into later.

The big one I noticed is an error whenever a creature with an unknown body type is downed.  The collision detection system bounces on a prone creature that isn't a supported race.  It appeared for a Project Fallout radroach, for instance.  I presumed that corresponded to some commented-out stuff in the bodyshapedef handling code.

I haven't been following Combat Realism/Combat Extended since A16, mind, so I'm not sure how long any/all of this stuff has been commented out for. =)

N7Huntsman

Since it seems my tendency to accentuate the positive has led some people to gloss over some of the more important qualifying statements I made when I mentioned the Combat Extended Github, I'll need to amend what I said previously, even at the risk of repeating NIA. As he said:

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on December 07, 2018, 05:09:48 PM
There is no 1.0 version currently out.

There's only an offshoot on the Workshop by InsertKey, and the version currently being worked on by the CE team on the CE Github under the Development branch. The Github version is *mechanically functional* in the strict sense that it likely won't crash your game if you were to load it up, and is in such a state as to allow to play-testing in order to better identify lingering issues.

There are currently almost a dozen known issues on the GitHub issue tracker standing between the Development branch version and even the possibility of a CE release for 1.0--these include serious problems with balance, UI issues, and bugged mechanics. This is in addition to who knows how many other issues we haven't encountered yet--there is absolutely no guarantee someone won't unearth a massive, game-breaking bug tomorrow.

With those massive qualifying statements added; if you do wish to help test the Development branch, I encourage you to join the CE discord and make religious use of the issue tracker. Anticipate that you will find serious bugs and that updates will break your saves. While I have the utmost faith in NIA and the rest of the team that we'll all see a 1.0 version in due time, do not expect to be working with a product that is polished or near completion, because that is absolutely not the case.
The Rim is a cruel place.

Kori

I would like to suggest to make backpacks not count against the nudist buff.
Not carrying one is a real drawback for so many jobs, but doing so makes you lose +15 happiness.

Jordan Huitema

When 1.0 released and I couldn't play CE so I started using the Weapons Tech mod.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1542854752

I think CE could really learn from its research progression because its really well done and feels like you are actually advancing your weapons manufacturing tech as apposed too just unlocking the next tier of weapon which is inherently better than the last.

Obviously Weapons Tech has an enormous amount of weapons and that'd be too much too put into the base mod but i would highly recommend taking a look at the way this mod handles the research tree and tech unlocking.

------------------------------------
Also i adore this mod and cant wait for the 1.0 release, keep up the good work :D

jager666

Hi! Is there any chance to get the compatibility patch for RPG Style Inventory when the 1.0 version of CE hits? Sorry for double post, not sure where I should ask about it.

Manly_Dorf

once you try this mod you cannot play without it  :'( :'(

temple_wing

I don't know whether this should be reported:

Added injury to Head but it should be impossible to hit it. pawn=Bear_Grizzly39651 dinfo=(def=Blunt, amount= 19, instigator=Muffalo39655, angle=270.0)
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean)
Verse.Hediff_Injury:PostAdd(Nullable`1)
Verse.HediffSet:AddDirect(Hediff, Nullable`1, DamageResult)
Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker:AddHediff(Hediff, BodyPartRecord, Nullable`1, DamageResult)
Verse.DamageWorker_AddInjury:FinalizeAndAddInjury_Patch1(Object, Pawn, Hediff_Injury, DamageInfo, DamageResult)
Verse.DamageWorker_AddInjury:FinalizeAndAddInjury(Pawn, Single, DamageInfo, DamageResult)
Verse.DamageWorker_Blunt:ApplySpecialEffectsToPart(Pawn, Single, DamageInfo, DamageResult)
Verse.DamageWorker_AddInjury:ApplyDamageToPart_Patch1(Object, DamageInfo, Pawn, DamageResult)
Verse.DamageWorker_AddInjury:ApplyToPawn(DamageInfo, Pawn)
Verse.DamageWorker_AddInjury:Apply(DamageInfo, Thing)
Verse.Thing:TakeDamage_Patch1(Object, DamageInfo)
CombatExtended.Verb_MeleeAttackCE:ApplyMeleeDamageToTarget(LocalTargetInfo)
CombatExtended.Verb_MeleeAttackCE:TryCastShot_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Verb:TryCastNextBurstShot()
Verse.Verb:WarmupComplete()
Verse.Verb:TryStartCastOn_Patch1(Object, LocalTargetInfo, Boolean, Boolean)
RimWorld.Pawn_MeleeVerbs:TryMeleeAttack(Thing, Verb, Boolean)
Verse.AI.<MakeNewToils>c__Iterator0:<>m__1()
Verse.AI.<FollowAndMeleeAttack>c__AnonStorey3:<>m__0()
Verse.AI.JobDriver:DriverTick()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick()
Verse.Pawn:Tick_Patch1(Object)
Verse.TickList:Tick()
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick()
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate()
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay()
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Looks like Verse.DamageWorker_AddInjury still has some problem. I'm using version b8a233a2590c634f5fe3f058cd745b55ae23e742

WREN_PL

Gaaah, phuck it, I can't wait anymore, I'm trying experimental version.

NoImageAvailable

General status update: got all the critical stuff done, few minor bugs left over. Main issue is getting the time for a 2-3 day testing session where I can just play the game and fix stuff as I find it. Arranged for some of that time and should have a proper 1.0 release ready within the next 4 weeks.