[A17/B18] Simple Slavery v0.5k (updated 2018/1/29)

Started by Thirite, June 15, 2017, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirite

Allows you to take prisoners as slaves.

How to Capture a Slave
   You'll first need to make a Slave Collar at either the Smithy or Machining Table, then in the Prisoner Tab, select the new option, "Enslave". After that your warden will fasten it to their neck, and presto! They're now a useful member of your slave-driving colony. Slaves typically won't be happy about their situation and will make repeated escape attempts until their willpower has been broken. You can get a general idea of how low their willpower is from checking the negative mood effect of their "Enslaved" thought: it starts at a -15 mood penalty and rises from there. When a slave attempts to escape, you'll have to send out a pawn to catch them; assuming you're successful, they'll be carried to a prison cell where they will be interned for a few hours. After that they will resume their duties as a slave.

What Can Slaves Do?
   Currently they function very similarly to a normal colonist-- able to perform typical jobs, be designated colonist beds, may be drafted, etc. Of course they will probably still try to escape.

Emancipating Slaves
   Toggle on the "Emancipate" gizmo after selecting a slave. A warden will then autonomously set them free, or you may prioritize it like most other orders. Once this is done, they will be considered a released prisoner and leave for home. However, if you emancipate a slave while they are in a prison cell, they will stay as your prisoner- though freed of slavery.

Buying and Selling Slaves
   Slaves can be purchased from the same traders as in vanilla- but will now maintain status as a slave when they join your colony. You may also sell any slave in your colony in the same way you would sell a prisoner. Slaves purchased from a trader will already have their willpower broken, and will typically not attempt to escape (with the exclusion of Iron willed pawns).

Note
   This is still a work in progress, but it seems pretty stable from my quick tests. It should be suitable for normal (non-debugging) gameplay but I'm sure the balance is likely in need of refining.

Disclaimer
   This mod is not meant to condone real world slavery, whether past or present. If you can't differentiate between a videogame and real life then you shouldn't be playing RimWorld to begin with.

Changelog
v0.5k - Slaves now can be shackled to reduce their speed
v0.5j - More noticeable alert for escaping slave and reverted collar indestructibility
v0.5i - Reworked mechanics for freeing slaves to use a toggle button
v0.5h - Updated to B18
v0.5g - Fixing various bugs before moving to v0.6
v0.5 - Added Tribal Slave Collar and disabled leftover debugging code
v0.4 - Fixed slaves escaping when indoors
v0.3 - Added new thought "SlaveColony", fixed slaves losing work priorities on escape attempt
v0.2 - Integrated buying/selling of slave with vanilla traders
v0.1 - Initial release

Requires HugsLib
Download for B18
Download for A17

Permissions
Consider it licensed CC-BY-NC-SA.

ThatOnePinata

Spicy, I like it. thanks for the mod! ☺

Rimrue

My tribals would like to know if slaves can still be recruited into the colony.

Thirite

Yep, just direct the slave to a prison and free them by ordering them to remove their Slave Collar. Then you can attempt to recruit them as normal.

Also, just occurred to me it would be nice to have a neolithic era slave collar. One made of bone, maybe?

Rimrue

Ah, okay, thanks. And you can buy and sell slaves as usual? Is there a mood debuff for the colony? Is it the same as selling a prisoner?

A tribal version of the collar would be great. Wood, stone, or bone works for me. :)

Thirite

Quote from: Rimrue on June 15, 2017, 03:29:02 PM
Ah, okay, thanks. And you can buy and sell slaves as usual? Is there a mood debuff for the colony? Is it the same as selling a prisoner?

Ah, that is part of why this is in the unfinished section. ^^, For now purchasing/selling slaves hasn't been modified to work with this system. I also need to add tutorial lessons to explain in game how to enslave/emancipate- as it's not exactly obvious.

Rimrue

Ah, okay. But I could probably return the slaves to prisoners and then sell them if a trader showed up interested in buying them?

(Gosh, I sound so . . . uncivilized here. Lol But seriously, playing tribal I have just about starved to death more than once because of stupid 99% prisoners. :/ Would be so much nicer to put them to work and make them earn their keep!)

More questions: can they develop social relationships while being a slave? Like will they become friends with more than just the warden? And can colonists become friends with them? What about lovers? Lol

Maybe I should just install it and try it out. ;)

Thirite

Yeah, you could certainly reimprison them to sell them for now. As for colonist interactions, they're pretty much exactly the same; I didn't disable anything regarding jobs. Apart from escape attempts, the Enslaved moodlet, and the chain icon in their portrait showing their enslaved status, they otherwise function just like a normal colonist.

SpaceDorf

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

GG123Snipa

I don't seem to be able to take the slave collar to a stockpile when it's dropped, am I just being stupid or does it still need to be assigned to stockpiles?

Thirite

If you've added the mod to an existing game, make sure you modify your stockpile settings to add "slave collar" to be allowed. This is true for all mods that add content which you enable and run an existing save.

GG123Snipa

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

O Negative

Ah, yes! Another one of those controversial subjects that can get a chance to be tested before potentially being implemented.

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate the work you put into these projects, Thirite :)

P.S. I think part of the controversy behind this idea is entirely around the name. It sounds silly, I know, but a "prison labor" mechanic and a "slavery" mechanic seem to have incredibly different connotations associated with themselves.

PixelBitZombie

Hey would this be from your mod? I added slavery and I do see options to do so and so (cuffs and whatever) but I ended up getting this line over 3,000 times and only on this specific person since it was the only raider I captured and recruited, not enslaved. In the log, you'll notice buildslave, unsure if that is something from your mod or just a coincidence. Thought I'd report it though. Also unsure if related to your mod but I have Combat Expanded?(extended)? as well and this is the only thing I can think of, once the raider is captured and dies the bed disappears. Prisoner bed.

"(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Exception ticking Giggles: System.InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
at Verse.Verb_LaunchProjectile.TryCastShot () <0x00274>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.Verb_Shoot.TryCastShot_Patch1 (object) <0x00034>
at Verse.Verb.TryCastNextBurstShot () <0x00040>
at Verse.Verb.VerbTick () <0x0005c>
at (wrapper dynamic-method) Verse.VerbTracker.VerbsTick_Patch0 (object) <0x00043>
at Verse.Pawn_EquipmentTracker.EquipmentTrackerTick () <0x00053>
at Verse.Pawn.Tick () <0x0028c>
at Verse.TickList.Tick () <0x002c0>
"
"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead
And the White Knight is talking backwards
And the Red Queen's off with her head"