[A17/B18] Simple Slavery v0.5k (updated 2018/1/29)

Started by Thirite, June 15, 2017, 11:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimrue

So with this update, will we get alerts or messages when a slave attempts to escape? Lol

BTW, I finally was able to recruit my pawn's mother. Interesting thing: she went from 59% recruitment difficulty to 89% after being enslaved. Was that intentional?

Thanks!

XeoNovaDan

If it's not a thing already, I feel that colonists (bar psychopaths) should also be unhappy of the use of prisoners as slaves. I'm thinking something similar to the scaling of selling prisoners.

Thirite

@Rimrue
You should get a "Prisoner X is escaping!" when they make an attempt, for now. In the future I'll change this to say slave. But basically what it does is turn the slave into a normal prisoner again- so they follow the prisoner logic of if they aren't in their prison cell and not considered "released" they will run away.

@XeoNovaDan
O Negative's comment is on point on this. The thing is in an otherwise uncivilized and harsh world, people typically have nothing against slavery- it takes a special kind of person to care enough to criticize it. Slavery has existed in basically every culture on earth at one point in history. It's only a very recent change in our mindsets that slavery is wrong, and that mostly happened due to mechanization.

Sniper Pilot

Im assuming this is compatible with your other mods?

Thirite

It's compatible with Children and Pregnancy from my tests. I haven't coded particular behaviour to make sure it functions properly with Nerve Stapling though, come to think of it (ie: you nerve staple a slave). I'll have to fix that asap.

PS: I'll be MIA for about a week starting today. Going to the US for a trip and likely won't have time/access to wifi. Cheers

JustALittleCrazyTalk

Can I suggest a small global work speed hit for slaves, both on the grounds of realism and balance vs the more difficult recruitment. Edit: actually the mood penalty probably suffices, will have to take some slaves and see.

AllenWL

I think 'slave items' should reduce a slave's movement and/or global work speed, but also reduce the chances of an escape attempt appropriately.

1. Slave collars reduce a slave's movement by a small amount, and also slightly reduce the chances of a slave escaping.

2. A 'leather slave collar' that does not reduce a slave's movement, but does not reduce the chances of an escape.

3. 'Slave shackles'. Reduces a slave's movement and global work speed, but also reduces the chances of an escape attempt.

Lerin

Is possible force slave for any job ?
My slave just wandering in prison and thats all

Ok i just need Wait ;)

Rimrue

There reeeallly needs to be a way to enslave prisoners before you get the smithy built. A wooden collar made at the crafting spot (for tribals and new colonies) would be great. :)

Also, I still have the problem where the slaves just stop being slaves, but aren't quite prisoners. There's no alert that they are trying to escape or anything, either. I keep my slaves indoors, so maybe that's why I don't get the escaping alert?

Anyway, if I just leave them be, my wardens will grab them and pop them back into a prison cell and then a little while later will go back and re-enslave them. Lol

FoxXeL

Looking for something like this. Thank you so much!

DeLaFere

Quote from: Rimrue on June 26, 2017, 03:58:28 AM
There reeeallly needs to be a way to enslave prisoners before you get the smithy built. A wooden collar made at the crafting spot (for tribals and new colonies) would be great. :)

Also, I still have the problem where the slaves just stop being slaves, but aren't quite prisoners. There's no alert that they are trying to escape or anything, either. I keep my slaves indoors, so maybe that's why I don't get the escaping alert?

Anyway, if I just leave them be, my wardens will grab them and pop them back into a prison cell and then a little while later will go back and re-enslave them. Lol

Yes, I'm having this exact issue as well. No notification that they're trying to escape, they don't actually even try to escape, it shows them as "Wandering", they disappear from the colonists bar at the top, their name turns yellow (as if they were a prisoner). And as Rimrue says, wardens eventually grab them and take them back to a prison cell. It's happening quite frequently, at least daily.

I have a perimeter wall around my base, with (closed) doors, which might have the same effect as "keeping slaves indoors" as Rimrue said. If that helps.

Thanks in advance for any help. This is an awesome mod, much needed, and this has been my only issue with it.  :)

lazuli42

There's a problem with slave collars being unable to be assigned to outfits or stockpiles. I was able to fix it by adding the following to ThingDef[defName="Apparel_SlaveCollar"]

<thingCategories>
    <li>Apparel</li>
</thingCategories>

Rimrue

I have that problem, too. I bought my first collar off a trader and it just lay on the ground because no stockpile would take it.

Speaking of traders, is it possible to make it so pirate and slave traders have a high chance of carrying slave collars? Only the one trader ever had one. And I think (but am not 100% sure) it was an exotic goods trader.

BTW, I noticed as time goes by, slaves attempt to escape/wander less frequently and their mood debuffs decrease. Is there ever a chance they might self-recruit?

Thanks! :)

IValerian

Is the repeated wandering of slaves intentional after their wills are broken? Does it go away?

Sekiolite