RimWorld change log

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

QuoteTemperature now equalizes mainly through walls.

Istead of...Doors?
Prasie the Squirrel!

The_Haminator

Quote from: Dr. Z on January 13, 2015, 01:49:57 PM

Istead of...Doors?

I'm hoping this mean's walls and doors have some form of insulation factor, meaning maybe wood walls would facilitate faster heat exchange then say marble or granite making wall material choices matter even more so now (and hopefully in the future as raiders begin looking for and attacking weak points in colonies and not just running through our TD style death traps.)

I'm excited everyday to see the small but very important things Tynan is changing. Bit by bit this game is shaping up to punch my dream game ticket.

Kubouch

Every time a new alpha is released I'm saying to myself "The game just can't be any better." And every time I'm horribly wrong.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Kubouch on January 13, 2015, 02:52:39 PM
Every time a new alpha is released I'm saying to myself "The game just can't be any better." And every time I'm horribly wrong.
And I bet you're happily wrong about that too!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Ironvos

QuoteReworked ship takeoff sequence into a proper whiteout with nice credits.

Well it's not really going to be a very long credit list now is it  :D

Shinzy

Quote from: Ironvos on January 13, 2015, 04:44:39 PM
QuoteReworked ship takeoff sequence into a proper whiteout with nice credits.

Well it's not really going to be a very long credit list now is it  :D

just plop the changelog in it and add text "made by Ty, Al, Ison and Rho & guests" in the end ;D

fluffy_543

Instead of...Doors?

This is a good question. It's not clear to me how temperature equalization actually works. It would make sense for temperature to equalize faster through doors, especially when they are open.

What I would really like to see is different "thermal conductivity" values for the different kinds of materials. It doesn't even have to make physical sense, it would just be fun in the game. You could then control the temperature of your colony through the choice of materials: Heat conductors between warm rooms but isolators towards the exterior. This could also make choices like limestone versus slate more meaningful in the game.

While we're at it, could we get plants with different ideal temperature ranges? For example devilstrand could grow best at 30+ degrees, but not potates. This would make greenhouses more fun.

ZestyLemons

Quote from: fluffy_543 on January 13, 2015, 05:59:46 PM
Instead of...Doors?

This is a good question. It's not clear to me how temperature equalization actually works. It would make sense for temperature to equalize faster through doors, especially when they are open.

What I would really like to see is different "thermal conductivity" values for the different kinds of materials. It doesn't even have to make physical sense, it would just be fun in the game. You could then control the temperature of your colony through the choice of materials: Heat conductors between warm rooms but isolators towards the exterior. This could also make choices like limestone versus slate more meaningful in the game.

While we're at it, could we get plants with different ideal temperature ranges? For example devilstrand could grow best at 30+ degrees, but not potates. This would make greenhouses more fun.

Why name it 'thermal conductivity' instead of just 'conductivity'? Heat is just energy.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

The_Haminator

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 13, 2015, 09:10:42 PM
Instead of...Doors?

Why name it 'thermal conductivity' instead of just 'conductivity'? Heat is just energy.

He's basically talking about the same thing my post refers to except the words he used to describe it are not as commonly used regarding walls and doors as insulation value/factor is.

Gabriel_Braun

I'm guessing the outdoor property of the ceiling height layer has been changed then?  My question would be split twofold into:

1) Are multiple cells of the same or dissimilar stuffs going to acumilativley calculate temperature or will the 'room' dynamic still apply in the simple way the heat model currently exists?

2) Are stuffs going to gain a separated combustion and failure temperature?

Jotun

Is there an important reason to not allow non-contiguous zones? I find them very useful for easily organizing multiple stockpiles.

Zombull

Quote from: ZestyLemons on January 13, 2015, 09:10:42 PM
Instead of...Doors?

Because there's a difference between electric conductivity and thermal conductivity. Such as wood will conduct heat, but not electricity.

Zombull

"Do until you have X" really needs be "When stock drops to X then make them until you have Y". Especially for cooking, so chef colonists can focus on other tasks for longer periods instead of spastically running back to the kitchen every time another colonist eats.

Jaxxa

Quote from: Jotun on January 14, 2015, 04:37:46 PM
Is there an important reason to not allow non-contiguous zones? I find them very useful for easily organizing multiple stockpiles.

From memory there was some discussion about using that to simplify growing temperature calculations. So the temperature can be done for the whole grow zone at once not each individual plant. This stops having a zone part indoors and part outdoors.

Evelyn

It would be nice if it only affected growing zones then. For stockpiles it's very useful.