RimWorld change log

Started by Tynan, May 02, 2014, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 18, 2014, 01:50:53 PM
so now accuracy cant be effected by a bunch of things either? or am i misinterpreting this?

The new system replaces the gun's accuracy stat, which is 9 for Lee-Enfield, for example.
You could edit long range weapons have varying accuracies at various ranges by setting, for example:

Lee-Enfield: 0/15/20/45
A long range rifle but loses accuracy over long ranges, because it has no optical sight (scope).

Sniper Rifle: 0/0/5/10
A highly accurate long range rifle.

M2 Browning machine gun (a mod weapon): 5/20/55/95
Machine gun with a maximum range but obviously not very accurate due to the earthquake-level recoil and not an having optical sight. On the other hand, here's where the system falls short because M2 is freakishly accurate if you fire just one bullet with it...

Obviously you'd get penalties for low Shooting skill (together with distance), bad weather, cover, etc. but you'd have more control over the fact that even a bad shooter could score a near-certain hit at point blank range with certain guns.

What's a bit mind-boggling to me is that 'touch' reaches... up to 4 tiles? So if I'm getting this right, the exact ranges would be:

Touch: 1-4 tiles
Short: 5-15 tiles
Medium: 16-30 tiles
Long: 31-50 tiles

Untrustedlife

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on June 19, 2014, 03:16:06 AM
Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 18, 2014, 01:50:53 PM
so now accuracy cant be effected by a bunch of things either? or am i misinterpreting this?

The new system replaces the gun's accuracy stat, which is 9 for Lee-Enfield, for example.
You could edit long range weapons have varying accuracies at various ranges by setting, for example:

Lee-Enfield: 0/15/20/45
A long range rifle but loses accuracy over long ranges, because it has no optical sight (scope).

Sniper Rifle: 0/0/5/10
A highly accurate long range rifle.

M2 Browning machine gun (a mod weapon): 5/20/55/95
Machine gun with a maximum range but obviously not very accurate due to the earthquake-level recoil and not an having optical sight. On the other hand, here's where the system falls short because M2 is freakishly accurate if you fire just one bullet with it...

Obviously you'd get penalties for low Shooting skill (together with distance), bad weather, cover, etc. but you'd have more control over the fact that even a bad shooter could score a near-certain hit at point blank range with certain guns.

What's a bit mind-boggling to me is that 'touch' reaches... up to 4 tiles? So if I'm getting this right, the exact ranges would be:

Aww yes, i messed with that a bit (I made a hand held torpedo launcher for a mod im making)

Thanks fr clearing that up! :)
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on June 19, 2014, 03:16:06 AM

I think "Touch" is the distance in wich an normal Human being could reach you with an knife or other kind of close quarter weapon/attack within 1 second. So you can think of it like this: Enemy is in 4 tiles, you colonist takes an (simulated) sprint/jump towards the enemy and shoots at his body at point blanck range.

Dr. Z

What about a sniper getting more accurate at higher range but requires like 9 or 10 at shooting skill.
Prasie the Squirrel!

AwesumnisRawr188

Does being able to manually target mortars mean we can mine with it?

Garen

the answer to that would be ethier no or or if so mortars use shells (which they probably use anyway)

Untrustedlife

Quote from: AwesumnisRawr188 on June 19, 2014, 05:57:03 PM
Does being able to manually target mortars mean we can mine with it?

Probabbly
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

AwesumnisRawr188

Oh, fun times to come...
*rubs hands mischievously*

Dr. Z

Sounds like bad times for Muffalos are coming...
Prasie the Squirrel!

AwesumnisRawr188

Yes! We don't even have to intervene with insane boomrats! Fight fire with fire!

Piata

I want more info on what exactly "basic overworld generation (Alpha 6)" is. This game can't be updated fast enough.

Architect

Quote from: Piata on June 24, 2014, 02:47:37 PM
I want more info on what exactly "basic overworld generation (Alpha 6)" is. This game can't be updated fast enough.

Just what I was thinking... Some kind of skylands? I dunno, just throwing out a possibility.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

StorymasterQ

Probably an overworld map to see where the factions are in terms of distance from the colony? So it could probably be used to gauge which would attack next. Or perhaps, for example, if we capture a traveler from a quite faraway faction, said faction won't become hostile ("maybe he died in the way here") or won't care to retaliate ("eff that, they're too far away")
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

drb89

Quote from: Piata on June 24, 2014, 02:47:37 PM

I'm not sure what Tynan has planned for us in Alpha 6, but maybe this can give you some ideas :)

Architect

Quote from: Tynan on June 24, 2014, 10:19:44 PM
As for the world generation, it's just a skeleton feature for now. I just want it in there structurally so we can have the code look a bit more like its final format instead of querying into a fake world that doesn't even exist. Hopefully in A6 you'll be able to choose a landing site with some basic mountainoutness/fertility/rainfall variation, that's all.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.