Toxic Fallout

Started by Edixo, August 01, 2017, 11:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edixo

I'll be the first to admit that I reroll a save every time I get a toxic fallout. It's simply not fun, nor challenging in a fun way. It's tedious and punishing simply because it requires a ridiculous amount of micromanaging for a long period of time in order to survive, and if you don't, you get demented colonists. If we had the ability to make a gas mask or something that prevents the effect of the fallout, then it's another deal, but right now it's such a chore that it can ruin a good game right away.
Nothing says "Home Security" like 50 turrets

TheMeInTeam

For this kind of thing you can just disable it in the scenario editor before starting if you don't want to deal with it, even in vanilla.

Unless I get it or something like a cold snap very early on as a tribe (toxic fallout kills crops gradually so having it super early in a cold biome is lethal) it's more a nuisance than a legit threat.  Non tribes can scrounge up the meat from all the animals it kills, but tribes having this happen early would have no way to preserve it and are likely fleeing the area or dead if this is happening in 1st month or two of a cold biome.

Otherwise it's more a matter of setting allowed zones and roofing over pretty much every non-crop/windmill piece of land inside perimeter walls.  I don't like it as an event due to the annoyance factor but it being lethal is rare.  I'd probably rather deal with it than perfect on-the-hour micromanagement of sleeping sickness with herbal meds to prevent needing bedrest in 1st year as a tribe.

JimmyAgnt007

I actually LOVE toxic Fallout.  Assuming it doesnt happen too soon of course.  If you check my sig for my Mountain Forts then you know why they dont bother me.  I am crazy prepared for them.  Also its handy when you dont have to go and hunt everything manually.  My best game ever was when it happened right when I was starting to dig into a mountain and had to work quickly to gather the metal to build hydroponics and such.  When the timing is right, its a fun pressure to have on you.

That being said, gasmasks, hazmat suits, and maybe a medicine type to treat the buildup would be a welcome addition.

Canute

If you find a toxic fallout is hard and unbalanced, you just don't have the proper tactic.
Sure it can be deadly if you would run out of food and didn't got some indoor farming allready.
But i don't see the point you need much more micromanagment then before.
Uproof all the area you need, create an new indoor/safe/uproofed area, and restrict all pawns/animals to it.
If needed you can create uproofed walkways to mining areas (doors can hold 6 tiles roofs in each direction.).

skullywag

I dont want to roof up my nice open plan settlement though. The issue is simply the micro needed to ensure not being outside too long...imo.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Panzer

I usually have several zones for my colonists, one for the main complex in case of manhunters, one for main complex and bedrooms in case of fallout and the usual home zone of course.
If one colonist gets too much buildup he gets restricted to the manhunter zone, that way I could manage fallouts pretty well. Still dont like the fallouts though, just because they empty the map of vegetation and it never really grows back to its former state, and a fallout is kind of guaranteed in a game of like 3-4 years.

Jibbles

Toxic fallout is a time to mine out areas or make my base cute if it hits mid-game.  I'm okay with it, but I do find it boring if it goes on for too long which is usually the case. 

Gas masks and hazmats is something I've been wanting in the game too.  Maybe only available to loot from the raiders or buy from traders? The idea of sieges with gas masks during a fallout sounds intriguing.

I would prefer to see a dust storm event implemented over toxic fallout in vanilla.

Lowkey1987

Toxic Fallout, like volcano winter, is great.

You have thing arround problems. The indoor garden, you alway want to build? Better now!

Micro Managment? No... i make zones, i build roofs on ways. It take me 10 Minuts to prepare every thing. And when another toxic fallout hit, i only need 5 Minuts, to edit my zones (because i grow). The only problem could be food.

If you have problems with this event, ask how we deal with it. But its not a real problem. Somepeople experince there first canibalismus. Others had to kill there pets. It can be hard. I never had such hard fallouts.

Bozobub

Toxic Fallout and Volcanic Winter events are exactly why my colony keeps 300 simple meals + arbitrarily many fine meals in stock at all times, even with only 7-10 colonists.  Every so often I sell off extra fine meals + any that have "aged" a bit (from "Zzzt!" or eclipses shutting down my freezer) and cook up replacements.
Thanks, belgord!

Lowkey1987

If you have lesser than 7 colonists, its often over in 2 weeks. Never had a very long fallout with a small colony. Dont know what the fuzz is about (hope i use this term right)  :)

horus

I agree, it's just a micromanagment mess, not only colonists but animals too. if you have a large herd and you don't know how long it will last you have to send them off to feed every day and back into roofed area. while holding 100k of hay might be easier, but you need freezers for that 100k and it adds up to a lot of wealth. having to micro pawns of who can grow food now or stay indoors etc is a pain in the arse as well. just hate it from micro point of view and it adds 0 challange.

Bozobub

Excuse me..?  There's absolutely no need to refrigerate hay, much less freeze it.  It keeps for quite a long time, as-is.
Thanks, belgord!

Jibbles

You don't need freezers for hay. They last a long time without a fridge. Plus the option to make kibble. So there's zero micro after setting a zone with food for animals unless attacked. Micro isn't too bad since there's not much reason for leaving the base after hauling the dead animals and building some roofs.

horus

hay lasts for 3 seasons (45 days) without freeze, but if you want to keep large stockpiles just in case of toxic fallout you have to either freeze it or it will rot away, animals don't eat the hay that is closest to rotting. even keeping 15k stockpiles that last for 5 days results in some hay rotting away. basicly you are suggesting that i grow an extra 100k of hay every 45 days, that's no joke ammount andrequires insane amount of gworing, land and hauling just for it to rot away....

I'm not dedicating valuable time and resourses (meat) into making kibbie for massive herd. making so much kibbie would end up with my 8 man colony 6 making kibbie 24/7 and the other 3 hunting animals for kibbie. thanks but no thanks

Lowkey1987

If you have such a great herd ... than you should have thing about it?
You can send one colonist with the herd away to graze on other map tiles. It sounds, that you normaly have good seasons.

But herd animals arent so easy, i know. I have many winter month and because of this i didnt use such animals.

Did anyone try to pack his animals in drop-pods? Will they die? Is it like the cat example: As long as you didnt look they are 50% alive and 50% dead?