[1.0] Wandering Caravans (v2.4.1) [10/08/19]

Started by general2231, October 16, 2017, 11:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

general2231

Wandering Caravans

Overview:
Wandering Caravans adds the possibility for pack animals, that have been separated from the trade caravans of factions, to appear near a colony or be spotted by one of your trade caravans. These wandering caravans may have inventories loaded with valuable items with the intention of being traded at the caravans destination, which can now be obtained by your colonists by taming or killing the wandering caravan!

Features:

• The off-chance of wandering caravans to spawn near your colony, which are pack animals that have been separated from their trade caravan and have been left to wander the Rimworld with a trading inventory.
  • A unique and balanced inventory generating system that dynamically generates random inventories for the wandering caravans based on value and the number of categories, to ensure the wandering caravans are fair and make logical sense (e.g. they wont be carrying fresh food).
  • Two wandering caravan related incidents.

Known Issues:

• None

Known Mod Incompatibilities:

• None

Change Log:

• Version 2.0:

• Mod re-released

• Version 2.1:

• Completely reworked the inventory generation system for the wandering caravans:

• Entire base inventory generation system is now the vanilla trading caravan inventory generation system.
      • Wandering Caravans can no longer spawn with items that have a short fresh lifespan, and items that don't but can still rot have their fresh lifespans greatly reduced by a random modifier.
    • Wandering caravans are now much easier to tame, which makes sense as they would have already been tamed before.

• Version 2.2:

• Colonists now unload a wandering caravans inventory upon it being tamed.
    • Added new wandering caravan related incidents:

• Wandering caravan chased - a wandering caravan with a potentially valuable inventory is being chased down by a hostile faction; you can defend the caravan by fighting off the hunters to gain access to the caravans inventory, or you can just let them have it.
      • Wandering caravan return demand - the faction that a nearby wandering caravan belongs to has come to return what is rightfully theirs; you can let the group retrieve it, or you can kill/tame the caravan to claim its potentially valuable inventory, although the retrieving faction will not appreciate that!

• Version 2.2.1:

• Updated to Beta 18.
    • Implemented slight changes to the caravan inventory generation system.

• Version 2.3:

• Modified the logistics behind the wandering caravans - wandering caravans no longer have their own race, which solves some mod incompatibilities.
    • Any pack animal can now be a wandering caravan, not just Mufallos and Dromedarys (including modded animals).
    • Wandering caravans are now spawned by an incident, which can occur on home maps or while travelling in a caravan. Also, you will now be notified whenever wandering caravans are spawned.
    • Wandering caravans now spawn in a group size identical to their native animal group size.

• Version 2.3.1:

• Added a small hotfix that was causing the wandering caravan chase incident to spawn an animal without an inventory.

• Version 2.3.2:

• Allows wandering caravans to be generated with inventories based off of modded non-orbital trader kinds.
    • Re-added the "jump to location" option for wandering caravan spawn notification letters.

• Version 2.3.3:

• Modified the spawn range of wandering caravans that have base animals which do not spawn wildly.

• Version 2.3.4

• Balanced all the wandering caravan incident frequencies by slightly reducing them and adding minimum refire days, due to player reports of the incident being fired too often.

• Version 2.3.5

• Updated to Beta 19.
    • Modified the inventory generation system in order to further balance the mod; inventories are now less diverse, high market value inventories are rarer, and foods much less plentiful.
    • Wandering caravans now only spawn when the maps eco system isn't full, so players can't use the caravans as a cheat to get extra meat.

• Version 2.4.0

• Updated to 1.0.
    • Modified the inventory generation system in order to further balance the mod; inventories are now less diverse, high market value inventories are rarer, and foods much less plentiful.
    • Wandering caravans now only spawn when the maps eco system isn't full, so players can't use the caravans as a cheat to get extra meat.

• Version 2.4.1

• Modified the inventory generation system to make the caravans more balanced.

License:
Feel free to include this mod in any mod pack, but please credit!
Please ask if you wish to use this mod to develop your own content (I will most likely accept, but I would appreciate it if I was notified first).
Please do not use my content for commercial use without my permission!

Download:
Dropbox [1.0] (Current Version)
Dropbox [1.0] (Version 2.4.0)
Dropbox [B19] (Version 2.3.5)
Dropbox [B18] (Version 2.3.4)
Dropbox [A17] (Version 2.2.1)
Steam

Support my Creations:

Notes:
You won't need to start a new save game when you install this mod, although if you want to remove it, I recommend killing all the spawned wandering caravans before doing so!

This mod is essentially a redevelopment of the previous, terribly made wandering caravans mod I developed with a different account. I abandoned the previous account because I simply made too many mistakes and didn't want them to be associated with my future works. Thanks for understanding :)

Previews:

[/list]
"Last chance, Etrius"

Owner of G223 Productions

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

SpaceDorf

First off, what a great Idea for a mod.
I like it.

Quote from: general2231 on October 16, 2017, 11:00:43 AM
A unique and balanced inventory generating system that dynamically generates random inventories for the wandering caravans based on value and the number of categories, to ensure the wandering caravans are fair.

This means there is no chance of the caravan carrying crap or being dangerous somehow ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Canute

And hows about the rotting stuff.
At your own caravans the meat and fruits rotting, but i saw at the pics the abandon caravans got these.

Kori

Very good idea, I like it too! :)

QuoteAdd a method of removing the items from a wandering caravans inventory without killing it.

How about giving them a better chance to be tamed compared to wild animals? Since they have been docile in the past already, that would make sense.

general2231

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 16, 2017, 11:58:04 AM
First off, what a great Idea for a mod.
I like it.

Quote from: general2231 on October 16, 2017, 11:00:43 AM
A unique and balanced inventory generating system that dynamically generates random inventories for the wandering caravans based on value and the number of categories, to ensure the wandering caravans are fair.

This means there is no chance of the caravan carrying crap or being dangerous somehow ?

Thanks for the feedback man!
To answer your question, the value of the caravans inventory is generated randomly, but it in a fair way. Basically, caravan inventories have the highest chance to contain a moderate inventory value (around 100-200 $ equivalent), but in inventory can also be valued quiet low or very high depending on how lucky or unlucky you are. I have also ensured that the inventory contains only items that would make sense for a trade caravan to be carrying, so now self detonating IDEs or human corpses, chunks and rotten meat :P
Also, I am very open to balancing this generation system, so feel free to leave further feedback!
"Last chance, Etrius"

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

general2231

Quote from: Canute on October 16, 2017, 12:43:41 PM
And hows about the rotting stuff.
At your own caravans the meat and fruits rotting, but i saw at the pics the abandon caravans got these.
Thanks for the feedback!
I ensured all the items the caravan is carrying are not rotten to prevent annoyance, although it makes sense for caravans that have been wandering for a while, I think it would be rather disappointing to finally stumble upon a caravan that is just filled with rotten stuff.
"Last chance, Etrius"

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

general2231

Quote from: Kori on October 16, 2017, 01:44:40 PM

QuoteAdd a method of removing the items from a wandering caravans inventory without killing it.

How about giving them a better chance to be tamed compared to wild animals? Since they have been docile in the past already, that would make sense.
Cheers for the feedback!
I intend to implement a way to designate wandering caravans so colonists can unload their inventories, although I can't figure out how to implement this, but I will probably stumble upon the method after I look through the games source code enough!
I never thought of the idea of them being tamed easier, that's a good suggestion! If you decide to tame one, all its items are simply dropped onto the ground and it becomes an ordinary tamed Muffalo, so players can't start breeding wandering caravans with newly generated inventories :P
Ill definitely look into the taming odds, thanks man!
"Last chance, Etrius"

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

general2231

"Last chance, Etrius"

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

Kori

I think what Canute wanted to say is that it would be better when wandering caravans don't carry stuff like fresh meat because that would make no sense?

Quote from: general2231 on October 16, 2017, 04:15:08 PM

Cheers for the feedback!
I intend to implement a way to designate wandering caravans so colonists can unload their inventories, although I can't figure out how to implement this, but I will probably stumble upon the method after I look through the games source code enough!
I never thought of the idea of them being tamed easier, that's a good suggestion! If you decide to tame one, all its items are simply dropped onto the ground and it becomes an ordinary tamed Muffalo, so players can't start breeding wandering caravans with newly generated inventories :P

Thank you! :) But instead of dropping the items onto the ground, couldn't it just turn into a normal pack-animal? Like pack-animals that you don't unload after the caravan returns? They also keep their bags and carry the stuff around until you unload everything, and I usually do this to keep the basic equipment (MREs, meds, ammo..) for my caravans on my pack animals for the whole time, so that I don't have to transfer it again every time I start a new expedition. And as far as I know they never got pack-animal babies with bags and items so far.   :D

The advantage would be, that players could create a special animal unload-zone (could also be inside a stockpile zone) and send them there before they unload everything.
Also when people are using the Set-up Camp mod and find some wandering caravans while being out in the wilderness it would be more immersive when you could just add them to your existing drove without unloading/ reloading everything.

Thanks for this mod!

SpaceDorf

[A17]AntiAutoUnload-Keeps your inventory! is one of my good friends for caravining ..

Quote from: Kori on October 16, 2017, 05:25:44 PM
I think what Canute wanted to say is that it would be better when wandering caravans don't carry stuff like fresh meat because that would make no sense?

This is sadly true. But considering that the Animals are lost, it would make sense if they could carry rotten stuff ..
or barely edible foodstuffs.
Corn or Pemmican with only a few days left before they expire.

Anything that would make the animals look worn out would be great  ;D
Lots of scars or missing limbs or maybe Manhunting.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Kori

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 16, 2017, 05:56:12 PM
[A17]AntiAutoUnload-Keeps your inventory! is one of my good friends for caravining ..

Yes, I'm using this mod too! :) Very useful for keeping the basic stuff you need for every caravan or expedition on the pack animals. :)

sidfu

looks good but ton down the amount. a separated pack animal would lose stuff running from predators and thru just not having someone to keep it tied down

Canute

But people with Veg. garden/Fertile field mods would be happy about rotten mesh/meat :-) But fresh stuff don't get autoconverted at caravans.

Thats why i think abandon caravans shouldn't carry any fresh stuff. Let the caravan created like before, but add a script that remove all rottable items from it.

general2231

Quote from: general2231 on October 16, 2017, 04:15:08 PM

Cheers for the feedback!

Thank you! :) But instead of dropping the items onto the ground, couldn't it just turn into a normal pack-animal? Like pack-animals that you don't unload after the caravan returns? They also keep their bags and carry the stuff around until you unload everything, and I usually do this to keep the basic equipment (MREs, meds, ammo..) for my caravans on my pack animals for the whole time, so that I don't have to transfer it again every time I start a new expedition. And as far as I know they never got pack-animal babies with bags and items so far.   :D

The advantage would be, that players could create a special animal unload-zone (could also be inside a stockpile zone) and send them there before they unload everything.
Also when people are using the Set-up Camp mod and find some wandering caravans while being out in the wilderness it would be more immersive when you could just add them to your existing drove without unloading/ reloading everything.

Thanks for this mod!
I'm going to try my best to push an update out today that resolved this fresh products issue (pretty poor design choice in my opinion :P ) due to popular demand. I'll also have a play around with the mods code to try and achieve what you said regarding the Muffalo becoming an ordinary pack animal, I think know how to implement that, but I'll see what I can do once I'v finished responding to the feedback! Also, the merging caravans is a great idea, but I don't really know how I would implement that, I'll have a look for sure though!
"Last chance, Etrius"

My mods:
Wandering Caravans

general2231

Quote from: SpaceDorf on October 16, 2017, 05:56:12 PM

This is sadly true. But considering that the Animals are lost, it would make sense if they could carry rotten stuff ..
or barely edible foodstuffs.
Corn or Pemmican with only a few days left before they expire.

Anything that would make the animals look worn out would be great  ;D
Lots of scars or missing limbs or maybe Manhunting.
I'm going to change the way the mod handles rottable items, hopefully today! Also, I will take a look into giving the wandering caravans a possibility to have certain injured that they may have acquired naturally while wandering the Rimworld, thanks for the suggestion!
"Last chance, Etrius"

My mods:
Wandering Caravans