[A14d] Rimworld Zombie Apocalypse (v. 1.5 - July 26)

Started by Justin C, May 20, 2014, 02:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

Hey somewhat related to this, in the case of torso bites you should add a surgery option to cut out a large amount of torso flesh (hitpoints) and possibly cure the infection, more likely to kill the patient (damage and bleeding), and leaves a lot of downtime for that patient.  It should require a very high Medical skill, and if a low skilled colonist tries it anyway that should end in tears.

When I get a colonist's torso infected I pretty much march them out into the wilderness, it'd be great if there was another option that wasn't so black and white "welp yer fucked, bye bro"

Justin C

Quote from: Kaballah on March 24, 2015, 09:40:36 AM
Hey somewhat related to this, in the case of torso bites you should add a surgery option to cut out a large amount of torso flesh (hitpoints) and possibly cure the infection, more likely to kill the patient (damage and bleeding), and leaves a lot of downtime for that patient.  It should require a very high Medical skill, and if a low skilled colonist tries it anyway that should end in tears.

When I get a colonist's torso infected I pretty much march them out into the wilderness, it'd be great if there was another option that wasn't so black and white "welp yer fucked, bye bro"
Zombie bites are supposed to be that black and white though. When you are bitten, say goodbye to your friends and family and eat a bullet so you don't eat them.

I allowed for the cure by amputation because people really wanted some kind of cure, and it happens in The Walking Dead anyway. But your main focus should be on avoiding being bitten.

On a different note, if anyone has any ideas for the Alpha 10 release of Zombie Apocalypse now is the time to make suggestions.

dareddevil7

Suggestion: Add an operation that basically makes a colonist shoot the infected colonist twice in the head

Kaballah

Please change "hoard" to "horde", otherwise this is pretty much a perfect mod.

Justin C

Quote from: Kaballah on March 25, 2015, 06:07:19 PM
Please change "hoard" to "horde", otherwise this is pretty much a perfect mod.
That's already fixed. Someone else pointed it out to me on NexusMods shortly after Alpha 9 was released, and I went and fixed the spelling errors in the game and on all of the relevant pages then.

I don't know how it took 8 months for anyone (including myself) to notice. I guess that must mean that few people even noticed that I spelled it wrong, which makes me feel slightly less dumb.

Kaballah

If you're really looking for stuff to add, zombie animals would be pretty rad.  Also the traditional weapon of the zombie slayer, the chainsaw (with sounds).

Justin C

It's interesting how much of an impact adding the NexusMods button to the front page made on the ModDB stats. This latest release has less than half the downloads on ModDB as it does on NexusMods. I guess more people just prefer NexusMods.

Maybe I should work on making the NexusMods page prettier.

Kaballah

Oh right, make zombies immune to cold/heat.  Really takes the sting out of the top tier zombie assault if I know none of them will actually make it to the entrance because they'll all freeze on the way.

Justin C

Quote from: Kaballah on March 25, 2015, 08:48:48 PM
If you're really looking for stuff to add, zombie animals would be pretty rad.  Also the traditional weapon of the zombie slayer, the chainsaw (with sounds).
I've considered zombie animals, but it just seems like the kind of feature that would make the mod feel less like a faithful zombie adaptation.

I spent most of the development time of this release with zombies attacking nearby animals. It's pretty annoying and it makes zombies much less threatening when they ignore your colonists for nearby squirrels. I wound up just disabling it towards the end because I didn't feel like it was adding anything to the mod, and the extra target search would have a noticeable impact on performance with large hordes.

And as for chainsaws, I think they would be great for use alongside the mod, but I do want to avoid bloating it with features that aren't strictly related to the zombies. I think any idea that would work on its own without being attached to zombie apocalypse should be its own standalone mod (or as part of a weapon pack).

Quote from: Kaballah on March 25, 2015, 09:04:43 PM
Oh right, make zombies immune to cold/heat.  Really takes the sting out of the top tier zombie assault if I know none of them will actually make it to the entrance because they'll all freeze on the way.
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me. I did give them more tolerance to temperature than a standard human, but I did not properly test zombies during heat waves or on colder maps because I didn't think it would make a huge difference. I'll make them much more tolerant.

Dragoon

Quote from: Kaballah on March 25, 2015, 09:04:43 PM
Oh right, make zombies immune to cold/heat.
Please don't make them immune.
Zombie's bodies would still freeze up and maybe even die from it because their body parts could literally fall off. Same goes for heat dry skin it's very brittle hot environments would cause them to weaken (because it's easier to rot in host environments.)
They kill and slow zombies down a lot realistically speaking.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Kaballah

You're arguing for realism in your zombie scenario.  Check yo self mang.   8)

Dragoon

..............OH and I wanted to ask if we are going to see any mutant zombies? (I know they won't be humans but I found out that creatures you can...'hunt' can have weapons on them that we can use.)
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

AllenWL

Zombie mechanoids would be freaky. Like, the zombie virus latched on to the robots, then kinda spread, like really creepy moss, and turned the robots crazy. Er.. crazy-er. They could never infect your colonists, having nothing to bite with, but just slowly lumber forward trying to slaughter your colonists, and be very, very durable.

Or zombies with bionics/prostetics that improve/reduce their stats?

Maybe zombies without arms that only bite?

Rotting zombies would be neat too. They won't die from it, but it'll slow them down a lot, and also have the effect of making them harder to see(kinda like desiccated corpses. Those can be pretty hard to spot.)

Mechanoid Hivemind

Skeletal archers for the win!!! a skeleton with a bow and arrow ;) love to see that
The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

Justin C

Quote from: Kaballah on March 26, 2015, 12:58:06 AM
You're arguing for realism in your zombie scenario.  Check yo self mang.   8)
Not realism. Just a genuine zombie experience.

Quote from: Mechanoid HiveMind on March 26, 2015, 01:37:09 AM
Skeletal archers for the win!!! a skeleton with a bow and arrow ;) love to see that
A while ago I was actually considering making a separate mod with Diablo II-style necromancers who reanimated skeletons from corpses. But something like that would be best as part of a fantasy horror faction mod full of things like vampires, werewolves, zombies, minotaurs, etc. It's fun to think about the unique behaviors each of those enemies could have to make them fit in the RimWorld universe, but I don't think I'll ever get around to actually making that (so if anyone likes the idea and has more motivation than I do, feel free to steal it).

Quote from: Dragoon on March 26, 2015, 01:03:38 AM
..............OH and I wanted to ask if we are going to see any mutant zombies? (I know they won't be humans but I found out that creatures you can...'hunt' can have weapons on them that we can use.)
Quote from: AllenWL on March 26, 2015, 01:33:34 AM
Zombie mechanoids would be freaky. Like, the zombie virus latched on to the robots, then kinda spread, like really creepy moss, and turned the robots crazy. Er.. crazy-er. They could never infect your colonists, having nothing to bite with, but just slowly lumber forward trying to slaughter your colonists, and be very, very durable.

Or zombies with bionics/prostetics that improve/reduce their stats?

Maybe zombies without arms that only bite?

Rotting zombies would be neat too. They won't die from it, but it'll slow them down a lot, and also have the effect of making them harder to see(kinda like desiccated corpses. Those can be pretty hard to spot.)
I was tossing around the idea of mutant/boss zombies as a result of a hypothetical zombie "cure" back in Alpha 4. I only ever proposed the idea as a potential risk/tradeoff to curing your colonists, but the amputation system already adds the risk and tradeoffs. Now I think adding mutant zombies might just take away from the mod.

I really want the mod to keep its narrow, focused scope. Anything that isn't strictly related to your run-of-the-mill Romero/Walking Dead style zombie apocalypse is beyond the scope of this mod.

Plus I don't want to have to do art. Any feature that is going to force me to art is off the table. I don't art. :P