[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canute

I agree to RyanRim,
special that your own magical pawn are very powerful. 10% of the raiders should have own magical pawn too, and they should use their abilities !

Canute

Any plan's to banish/euthanize summoned creatures on command ?
Minion's bleed my ground faster then my other yellow minion's can clear the floor.

Jan2607

It would be great if mages could automatically take mana potions in their inventory (or at least an option to command them to do so).
I have lots of those potions, but for the most part my mages don't run out of mana while they are relaxing in the mana storage :D
When I really need them (in combat or while raiding camps), there are no potions around, so I need them in inventory.

Sarge

Quote from: Jan2607 on December 30, 2017, 03:52:40 PM
It would be great if mages could automatically take mana potions in their inventory (or at least an option to command them to do so).
I have lots of those potions, but for the most part my mages don't run out of mana while they are relaxing in the mana storage :D
When I really need them (in combat or while raiding camps), there are no potions around, so I need them in inventory.

Grab Combat Extended which allows you to create loadouts in the assign tab where you can have your mages always carry around mana potions and whatever you want for whatever other pawn as well. Meals, bandage or med kits and I'd say even some beers if you want, but judging by your username you might have quite a ways to your 18th birthday yet  :P

Torann

Quote from: Canute on December 30, 2017, 02:17:11 PM
You mean like the developer tools "destroy" command?   :P

Grab Combat Extended which allows you to create loadouts in the assign tab
I didn't realize Combat Extended could do that.  I've considered making a small mod that acts as a toolbelt that would give an item slot(s) that shows up as a button to "use" whatever you have stored in the toolbelt slot.  I'll have to check out CE... been meaning to do that anyways.  ::)

Canute

Quote from: Torann on December 30, 2017, 11:36:49 PM
Quote from: Canute on December 30, 2017, 02:17:11 PM
You mean like the developer tools "destroy" command?   :P
Yep,
i can understand that the current phase is still at development.

But from the magic lore side, a summoner should be able to release/send back their summons.

An idea for the Mass teleport.
Currently it just works like a Transport pod but with very limited time to load it, even at skill level 3.
This might works well for attack runs, when you got a temp. map at the destination to create another portal.
But for a trade run it looks different, you don't got a temp. map, i just try out Setup-camp to create temp. maps.
So maybe a 2. Mass teleport option as trade-run would be nice.
You create a portal, fill it with fuel, then select a friendly outpost at range, and start a trading with that outpost and your colony stockpile.
Maybe this option need  100% mana and is only availble when you got lvl 3 at all massteleport skills.

Toketsu

Passive skills

Lichdom (passive unnatributed/scroll)
Learning this passive skill transforms the user into a lich. Liches are hurt by daylight, healed by absolute darkness (0% light only), and cannot regenerate naturally without darkness. Sun lamps also hurt liches. Paladin spells are 2x as effective on liches - but instead of healing, it damages them. Liches gain a 30% damage reduction against physical attacks, 50% mana cost reduction, and only need 5 hours of sleep per day. Liches gain a special spell that creates an aura of decay around them, which follow them and doesn't spread. Liches are unnafected by decay, mind-affecting spells, common (non-magical) diseases, and are unable to do do social work (except wardening), and taming. If a prisoner has spoken to a lich warden, they will be unable to attempt to escape for 24h.
Once npcs can cast spells, paladins will always focus on enemy liches first, in an attempt to destroy them. Pawns will like the lich by -50 points on the Social tab.

Spells

Decay (Unnatributed/scroll)
Cast on a corpse to create a decay zone 5x5 around it. Living things that enter the decay zone take 1 damage to a random body part every second, and quickly gain toxic build up. After 15 days, the decay zone will increase 1x1 every day, until it controls the whole map. Can be cleansed with the new spell, Cleanse.

Cleanse (druid/paladin/scroll)
Cast on a pawn to decrease the effects of toxins in the body. Can be used on the ground to cleanse a 10x10 area of decay. The caster can choose to use up all his mana and fall unconscious for 12 hours in exchange for cleansing all the decay on the map.

Quake (Unnatributed/scroll)
Causes a weak, short earthquake on the map. Damages wooden buildings between 5 and 40 hp. Pawns within 20x20 of the epicenter (targeted spell) have a 70% chance to fall and hurt their legs slightly, and a 1% chance to fall and hit their head, leaving the pawn unconcious.

Soul Link (Unnatributed/scroll)
Links your soul with another pawn's, requiring at least mutual 75 points or higher on the Social tab (meaning both pawns must like eachother for at least 75 points). While this skill is active, any damage that affects a pawn will be halved, and that half will be passed on the second pawn, virtually granting double hp, but risking two pawns. The spell ends when recast (casting while it's active costs 1 mana), or when either pawn gets downed/unconcious.

Mana Shield (Unnatributed/scroll)
This spell creates a shield around the player that lasts until cast again or mana goes below 10%. Costs 0 mana to cast. Nullifies any damage taken, instead reducing mana by 1% for every 4 points of damage. Damage from fire/frostbite is not nullified, and does not consume mana.

Healing Field (Paladin master spell)
Creates a large zone in the targetted spot, that casts the Heal spell on everyone inside 3 times over 12 seconds. The Heal spell stats will be the same as the user's.

Undo (Warlock master spell)
Resets the cooldown for all skills for every pawn. Very high mana cost.

Reverse Summon (Summoner master spell)
Summons a permanently drafted minion with infinite duration. The minion has a skill that summons the summoner to the minion, and sends the minion back to whatever plane of existence it came from. This spell cannot be cast while a Reverse Minion is alive, and only enters cooldown when the summoner is reverse summoned. Costs 100% mana, as to keep a minion on this plane of existence for an extended period of time. Works across different maps, with unlimited range. The minion cannot join a caravan, or use transport pods and teleporters/portals.

Items

Memory Crystal
This item can be used to remove spells gained with scrolls from pawns, and adding it to the crystal. The crystal could then be used to pass the knowledge to another pawn, destroying the crystal in the proccess. Figments of the owner's mind also get transferred, meaning that if you have a pawn with, say, alzheimer, the pawn learning the spell has a small chance of developing alzheimer. For this reason, a crystal filled with a spell sells for 0 silver, as it's much safer to learn from scrolls than from unknown crystals. These crystals can be filled with a lot of mana, then destroyed to cast a much stronger version of the spell stored within. Empty Memory Crystals are somewhat rare due to the fact that they have only recently been created, and are hard to manufacture. Time passed since the start of the game influences the base price of these crystals, lowering by 2% per year, up to a reduced 20% after 10 years.

Other

Add a new function to spells when you fully level up all of it's attributes. One example:
Eye of the storm could be recast once (costing no mana) to change it's trajectory.

Add late-game spells that unlock via experimenting with living pawns. Would work together with research, and somewhat similarly to it. The steps would be:

1: Research some spell. At the end of the research, you would unlock a prototype spell scroll for crafting (in a crafting station of your choice), which would cost a few wood, some mana depending on the spell and sell for 0 silver.

2: Use the prototype spell. Gain exp on the spell by hitting living pawns with it. Some spells require the pawn to be below, at or above a certain grade of intelligence for it to grant exp. Gain much lowered exp if the pawn dies from the spell. Non-humanoid targets give lowered exp as spells are most often created to use against humanoids. Spells that do not affect a living pawn gain exp by using it to 'test' the effect they would give when fully developed. Exp gained for the prototype spells are shared between pawns, so more pawns testing = faster completion. Experimenting/developing the spell consists of casting the spell with effects varying between 20% and 200% power, and a 50% chance of failing to cast. The first 20% exp will have a 80% chance of failing to cast. These prototype spells are volatile, and so, sometimes you will get underised effects, such as mental breaks or side effects from the spells.

3: After reaching 100% exp (should take a while), you will unlock the full spell on any pawn that has the prototype spell, while removing the prototype one. New scrolls of said prototype spell would be full scrolls. Prototype scrolls will remain prototype scrolls and will be unusable. New scrolls will cost more expensive materials, and can be sold for a good amount or used to learn the spell.

Make it so the Muscle Parasite disease drains stamina from Physical classes.

Happy new year~

Torann

Quote from: Toketsu on December 31, 2017, 03:23:09 PM
Lichdom (passive unnatributed/scroll)
Neat idea.  I'm working on the necromancer (and bladedancer) right now and I think something like this might be what I'd use as a master spell for the necro class.  That being said, just by looking at what Jecrell had to do in the ROM Vampires mod and all the overrides he had to make to get vampires to act intelligently in sunlight... that whole piece is going to be beyond what I can implement.  So, a toned down, RimWorld of Magic centered passive would probably be more what I'd go for.  A lich passive would: gain mana faster, does not require sleep, does not require food, joy is always neutral, not affected by age, not affected by terrain movement penalties, causes an instant distrust by all pawns except masochist, psychopath, and bloodlust.  Maybe disable sight as well...
Thoughts?
There will also be room for 'undead' destroying spells in the future.

Soul Link (Unnatributed/scroll)
There's a mod called "blood pact" that does almost exactly this, though not sure if it was updated to B18.

Mana Shield (Unnatributed/scroll)
Hmm, yes... yes I like.  :D

Healing Field (Paladin master spell)
Nope.  Priest spell (non-master) - already decided.  Priest master will be resurrection.  But, that does bring up the point... what master spell should the paladin get?  Offensive or defensive?  He has a foot in each path...

Undo (Warlock master spell)
I've messed around with trying to reduce cool-down timers before with no success... but now that I'm thinking about it, if I wanted to 'reset' the spell, that's entirely possible...

Memory Crystal
Nice item ideas, I'll add it to my (growing) list of item types I'd like to make.

Add a new function to spells when you fully level up all of it's attributes. One example:
Eye of the storm could be recast once (costing no mana) to change it's trajectory.
This... would be frickin' sweet.  I'll have to see though, if this was implemented across the board then it would basically double the amount of spells... that's a lot of work.  :'(

Quote from: Canute
An idea for the Mass teleport.
I will be implementing a mass/enduring teleport soon, will likely be included in the next patch or the one after.  This will be the "master" spell for the Warlock class.  How I'm hoping to make it work:
1. Enduring teleporter that links two sites.  Each site will 'construct' a teleporter building (would require a warlock with the spell learned, much like a druid with regrowth learned to successfully perform a limb regrowth surgery) and then the teleport pair will need to be identified.  Each teleporter would only be able to link to one other teleporter.  Any pawn could then walk up to and 'use' an active portal which would instantly move the pawn between the linked portals.  Movement would drain the teleporter of fuel stores.  Teleporters would be refueled either by a mage (any magic type) infusing it with mana, or by a non-mage type infusing it with mana potions. 
1.a I may also include a stockpile zone linked to the teleporter (like a trade beacon zone) and be able to transport all items in the stockpile to its paired teleporter stockpile zone.
2. The second option would be through using the ability.  Once used, it would bring the player to the world map where they would select a friendly faction town.  Once selected, a trade menu with all items inside stockpile zones (or maybe ill just do all items on the casters map) would be available to trade with and you would have the option to trade for whatever the town would normally trade as if a caravan had initiated the trade.  No fuel involved, though I would make it cost a significant amount of mana.

I'm working on the necromancer and blade dancer right now.
Necromancer core functionality will revolve around his ability to create and use undead.  The undead will require a recently deceased corpse (humanoid or animal) and will destroy the corpse on use.  The corpse will then become an obedient servant to the necromancer, indefinitely (caveats).  For each undead under the necro's control, he/she will gain less mana per turn, until he's no longer gaining mana, but losing it.  So there will be no hard cap to the number of undead the necro can have, though I expect the number will be around 4-6 before mana loss starts.  The necro will be able to mark a pawn for death, after a certain amount of time the marked target will die and become undead (I'll implement some counter-measure in the future, once ai can cast spells).  Other than this costly "mark" ability, the necro will be able to create a fog of torment, which will slow and kill any inside (except undead, who will be immune to the fog).  So the necro will be fairly weak without his undead.  The necro will be able to do several things with undead, however, to add diversity to the class.  The first thing will be an ability to siphon power from an undead - never more than it costs to create the undead.  This will give life and mana back to the necro, but instantly destroy the undead.  The second ability will allow the necro to make the undead a walking bomb - after a short amount of time, the undead will explode.  Undead should be able to do things most pawns can do - albeit at a set, fairly poor, skill level.  Necromancers will get a social penalty with paladins (and priests).

The blade dancer will be a melee glass cannon.  They'll receive two sets of passives for improved damage, movement, melee hit chance, dodge and even pain resistance, but will have no class abilities to mitigate damage like the gladiator or paladin have.  The skills the blade dancer will get will be high in stamina cost, but very short cooldown.  They will have two primary strikes - blade spin, which will instantly strike everything nearby, and seismic slash, which will strike all enemies in a line.  The final skill, phase strike, will be crucial to their survivability and allow the blade dancer to instantly move between locations (think blink), upon exiting from a phased move, he'll strike everything nearby, if the enemy isn't facing the blade dancer, it will have a chance to incapacitate or hamstring the opponent.

Hope to have the class update out by the end of next week, then I'll focus on some of the supplemental features.  Anyways, happy new years!

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on December 31, 2017, 07:23:50 PM
Quote from: Toketsu on December 31, 2017, 03:23:09 PM

Don't worry, i know a ton of the stuff i post might be very hard/impossible to implement, and i post everything with the mindset that it'll be rejected. Though, posting even if you know it won't be implemented isn't useless, as you, the creator, may gain some ideas from what i said, and implement some other stuff.

About Lichdom, i'm not sure how hard this is, but, how about forcing the lich to go to sleep from 5 am to 5 pm? This way, he'd never have trouble with the sun, any damage taken would be minimal, and would recover during sleep. Could work similarly to how ROM Vampires work, as in they have 100% Rest during the night, and 10% during the day.

Soul Link idea came from a MMO that i used to play, which had a similar feature.

About the paladin master spell, spells don't necessarily have to be offensive or defensive, right? o-o
How about this:
Divine Ray (Paladin master spell)
A ray of light falls from the sky in a large area, dealing 1 damage to a random body part of all enemies and neutrals, and healing 1 damage to a random damaged body part of allies and friendlies.
Lasts 10 seconds. With the power and duration full upgrades, it would deal/heal 4 damage, and last 20 seconds, making it really strong. There should be no mana cost reduction skill for this one, however, there could be a stat to increase it's size.

If you want any specific item ideas, please mention, and i'll try to come up with something interesting/unique. Vague ideas of what you might want should be enough to make something.

I can imagine it'd take a ton of work to basically double the amount of spells, so why not do a few at a time? Like 3-4 per patch or something. Could start with the non-master spells, as to not make master spells immensely more powerful than others.

I might not provide a ton of ideas in the coming days as i'm currently dry - need to play/watch more stuff to renew my ideas meter. Time for another anime marathon! See you in a while, if i don't die from starvation o-o

Jan2607

How about some more "civil" spells that help you in the daily work and not in combat?
Some ideas:
- a spell that finishes a craftable object instantly or at least reduces the work to make (helpful for art or weapon smithing)
- similar to the extinguish spell a cleaning spell that cleans up all dirt in a defined zone.
- summon bed: Your summoner can summon a magical bed that lasts for a few days. Very useful while fighting other factions on temorary maps and you need a prisoner bed asap. Optional: Summon medical bed.
- summon a cow: Run out of food suplies? Just summon a cow, slaughter it and make a BBQ party.
- family therapy: Using this spell on another colonist will make him and his archenemy to best friends (+50 relationship on both sides).
- protection spell that works like Penoxycyline and protecs your colony from diseases. The difference is that it will protect all your colonists. Will last for a few days and the caster will use a lot of mana.
- item: witches broom (needs to be equipped as weapon and user can't carry any other weapon while using it): your colonists can fly and thus move 300% faster then usually. Downside: Your colonist will not be able to defend himself while sitting on the broom.
- workbench: arcane smithing table - your mages can craft magical items here (e.g. a broom. Wonder, what this thing will do...).

Toketsu

Quote from: Jan2607 on December 31, 2017, 09:21:12 PM
How about some more "civil" spells that help you in the daily work and not in combat?
Some ideas:
- a spell that finishes a craftable object instantly or at least reduces the work to make (helpful for art or weapon smithing)
- similar to the extinguish spell a cleaning spell that cleans up all dirt in a defined zone.
- summon bed: Your summoner can summon a magical bed that lasts for a few days. Very useful while fighting other factions on temorary maps and you need a prisoner bed asap. Optional: Summon medical bed.
- summon a cow: Run out of food suplies? Just summon a cow, slaughter it and make a BBQ party.
- family therapy: Using this spell on another colonist will make him and his archenemy to best friends (+50 relationship on both sides).
- protection spell that works like Penoxycyline and protecs your colony from diseases. The difference is that it will protect all your colonists. Will last for a few days and the caster will use a lot of mana.
- item: witches broom (needs to be equipped as weapon and user can't carry any other weapon while using it): your colonists can fly and thus move 300% faster then usually. Downside: Your colonist will not be able to defend himself while sitting on the broom.
- workbench: arcane smithing table - your mages can craft magical items here (e.g. a broom. Wonder, what this thing will do...).
I already suggested one that increases work speed, including a whole new class, the Crafter.

I personally don't like the idea of killing a summoned entity for materials, especially if it gives such a massive buff to social status. Extremely unbalanced.

Same goes with the therapy one.

300% speed is a bit too much, that would be on par with legendary items. I'd say a 50% boost would suffice, and could increase if imbued with Mana Crystals/Magic Stones.

henk

Just because they're a lich doesn't mean they can't feel joy. They just prefer to see other people suffer, is all.

Personally, I would love to see the ability to craft scripts and scrolls. They are so expensive right now, you need to sell everything you own for a single one.
Or just the ability to upgrade a magically gifted pawn to a random profession for a moderate cost.

Torann

Quote from: henk on December 31, 2017, 10:45:48 PM
Just because they're a lich doesn't mean they can't feel joy. They just prefer to see other people suffer, is all.

Personally, I would love to see the ability to craft scripts and scrolls. They are so expensive right now, you need to sell everything you own for a single one.
Or just the ability to upgrade a magically gifted pawn to a random profession for a moderate cost.

Hmm, well I guess just from a personal perspective, I see a lich as a being that has sacrificed everything in pursuit of eternal power, to include their life.  Also, with a lich being undead, I typically don't think of undead as having emotions or being able to feel (physical or emotional).  Besides, in the game world, it fixes quite a few things... I mean, do you really expect a lich to go play horseshoes?

As for the costs, I'll be addressing that.  I'm going to reduce the overall costs of arcane scripts and spells by 20-40%. 
I'll also be adding 'torn scripts' that will randomly grant anywhere from none to all of the class abilities.  To acquire the remaining 'base' spells, you will spend 2-3 points to acquire the spell, and then it will function as normal.  Torn scripts will sell for significantly less than a full script (I'm thinking around 1500, unadjusted).  I'll probably also remove full scripts from all factions except the Arcane Fold.  Even so, I'm pretty happy spending 12,000 silver for a mage, which is about what I'd pay for a mod armor piece...

I'm also thinking of introducing an item that will grant the base traits, so if you have a particular pawn, it'll be possible to train them to an adept, then full mage/fighter.  I'm not 100% convinced this is a good solution, but I have gotten quite a few requests for something like this, as well as statements where the magic characters are too rare during a playthrough that's not directed through something like EdB prepare carefully.  The solution for this might just to be a starting scenario though.  I'm happy with the spawn rates of mage/physical adepts.

As far as the items, I feel like there are two large roadblocks to implementing what I want to do.
1. Useable items need to be able to be picked up and stored in a way that allows the pawn to carry and use the item at will, similar to the item belt from diablo. 
2. Jewelry seems like it deserves a unique slot, similar to the belt slot.  I think Jecstools already accounts for items having abilities, I just haven't played around with those functions yet.
Anyways, after this next class update, I'll be looking at items.

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on January 01, 2018, 12:31:48 AM
I mean, do you really expect a lich to go play horseshoes?
You should make it so liches can only gain joy from horseshoes o-o

Seriously now, prices are good enough as they are. Sure, it's expensive, but you can make that money fast enough, and spells are a strong, semi-permanent weapon (only loses it when the pawn dies).

Also, as for the Eye of the storm spell, is it intended for the caster to get hit by the spell right after casting? Becuase if it is, then it's the most useless spell ever. Making pawns blind for the sake of dealing some damage isn't worth it o-o

Canute

Quote from: Jan2607 on December 31, 2017, 09:21:12 PM
Bad, idea since the finish process is the one which generate the quality of the item.
I rather suggest a copy item spell, based on the market value. But that maybe need multiple casts or many mana potions in the inventory.

Quote- summon a cow: Run out of food suplies? Just summon a cow, slaughter it and make a BBQ party.
Why not like at the good old MMO, summon food/water. Get a stack of Survival meals or Mana bread (0 trading value but 1.0 Nutri and +smokeleaf joint effect).

Quote- family therapy: Using this spell on another colonist will make him and his archenemy to best friends (+50 relationship on both sides).
Mindcontrol, tztz. You evil mage. But then you could use this to calm down enemies, or beserek others too.