[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omatkoicorko

ohhh this is beautiful! thanks for that mod :D

i have one question, is it possible to know how much stamina or mana our pawns currently have? i dont see any indicator or metter

regards.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: omatkoicorko on January 09, 2018, 07:26:58 PM
ohhh this is beautiful! thanks for that mod :D

i have one question, is it possible to know how much stamina or mana our pawns currently have? i dont see any indicator or matter

regards.

Wanted to know the same thing, couldn't find it anywhere!

henk

First line in Needs is Mana - not present for pawns that don't have a magic or physical skill.

blizzardwolf420

i had an idea for none magic pawns of gaining magic , plus a way of adding different kinds of magic pawns. anyone who has a large amount of intelligence can learn how to do alchemy , kind of like full metal alchemist style.. It would be a good way to give others a chance to match gifted pawns in their own way, and add a whole new field  of "magic" to the rimworlds.  granted this is probably a more down the line kind of thing  , but it is a new way of granting  power to one who cant use magic.

omatkoicorko

Quote from: henk on January 09, 2018, 07:48:25 PM
First line in Needs is Mana - not present for pawns that don't have a magic or physical skill.
Thanks!

Canute

Quote from: Torann on January 09, 2018, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: Canute on January 06, 2018, 04:07:22 AM
Torann,
could you please try to find a way to let NPCs use the magic abilities ?
Yes, I agree that this would add to the mod and help restore difficulty balance.  This has been on my list of things to add for awhile, but I've bumped it up to the highest priority and I'm working on it for the next update.
If possible, I'd like to also include some limited 'auto cast' options to help reduce some of the micro management of the mod.  It hasn't been so difficult to get pawns to use abilities, but it's quite another thing to get pawns to use abilities intelligently.
Yep, the AI don't like to use abilities they are focused on buttons.
Maybe try to to add them to a context menu when you right click at a target.

Or add magic staffs/orbs that cast the spell but use mana from the wielder.
When you made them not craftable/not tradeable/destroy on drop they should only appear/used by the magic raiders.
So they can use these spells like normal ranged weapons.

Toketsu

Quote from: Canute on January 10, 2018, 03:58:28 AM
Quote from: Torann on January 09, 2018, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: Canute on January 06, 2018, 04:07:22 AM
Torann,
could you please try to find a way to let NPCs use the magic abilities ?
Yes, I agree that this would add to the mod and help restore difficulty balance.  This has been on my list of things to add for awhile, but I've bumped it up to the highest priority and I'm working on it for the next update.
If possible, I'd like to also include some limited 'auto cast' options to help reduce some of the micro management of the mod.  It hasn't been so difficult to get pawns to use abilities, but it's quite another thing to get pawns to use abilities intelligently.
Yep, the AI don't like to use abilities they are focused on buttons.
Maybe try to to add them to a context menu when you right click at a target.

Or add magic staffs/orbs that cast the spell but use mana from the wielder.
When you made them not craftable/not tradeable/destroy on drop they should only appear/used by the magic raiders.
So they can use these spells like normal ranged weapons.
I don't see where this would make the AI cast it intelligently. Seems more like they'd just spam spells until they're out of mana, then stand there doing nothing because they don't have a weapon capable of attacking anymore. Also, one spell per AI mage isn't a good idea, makes it way too easy to counter.

Canute

True, but otherwise you need to write a real clever AI script.
But i think even when the staff just cast one spell, if it is the right spell it can cause much more trouble then any "normal" weapon can do beside doomday launcher.
At example a elemental summoner want, that let lesser elementals appear next to your pawns, even when the one just can cast 4-8 before he run out of mana, he would cause much more trouble then when he use a minigun.
Since the AI is so weak, you need to give it some advances, and you need to prevent that the player can use these advances.
Why do you think the Storyteller allways send you and overwhelming raid force.

Toketsu

Quote from: Canute on January 10, 2018, 07:53:31 AM
True, but otherwise you need to write a real clever AI script.
But i think even when the staff just cast one spell, if it is the right spell it can cause much more trouble then any "normal" weapon can do beside doomday launcher.
At example a elemental summoner want, that let lesser elementals appear next to your pawns, even when the one just can cast 4-8 before he run out of mana, he would cause much more trouble then when he use a minigun.
Since the AI is so weak, you need to give it some advances, and you need to prevent that the player can use these advances.
Why do you think the Storyteller allways send you and overwhelming raid force.
What i meant by the one spell being too little thing, was that we, as players, know how to counter the spells and we can counter them. Be it walls, traps, other spells or anything. If the player does actually want to, they'd take out the mages before they can even cast a spell, hence why keeping it to one spell only is kind of a bad idea. I'll give you an example of what may or may not be simple to script. I don't know anything about scripting, so this is just a guess, but should be doable.

Example with one spell:

The enemy has one mage, with fireball spell. Your base has walls all around it. He attacks the walls with fireball, and dies to mortars/spells.

Example with two spells:

The enemy has one mage, with fireball and blink spells. Your base has walls all around it. He uses blink to go beyond the walls (preferably on a spot where turrets won't attack him), and uses fireball on a pawn. After that, he has two choices: Either wait for fireball cooldown to cast it again, and then blink out, or blink out right now and wait for his friends to break down the wall. That single fireball he cast on your pawn could give them a huge edge on the fight, while only slightly endangering the mage.

Edit: On the second scenario, the player's pawns could also end up damaging stuff with shots and spells while trying to take out that single mage, not to mention that, if the player is bad or didn't think, he or she could use something like firestorm on the enemy mage (who could blink out at any moment's notice), and deal some major damage to the colony.

I personally think that a per-spell script would be ideal. For example, a blink script: Could use it to bypass walls, cast another spell and then blink out. Or just blink away to safety when getting hit or if they took too much damage.

And if you want another example, i'll give you a brief idea on what an AI could do to you. So, you got a ton of walls and defenses? Great! But the enemy has a mage capable of blinking and summoning. He just blinked into your storage, summoned a friend and destroyed everything. Or he summoned your orbital laser thingy and used it on your colony. There are countless things that the AI could be capable of, and it only depends on what Torann can do and think of. Magic is limitless in potential, only requiring imagination to power up the ideas.

Canute

I didn't say that the NPC which could fully control all of his spells arn't less powerfull.
I just said, the current AI can handle a staff with just one spell better.

But when you can write such clever AI script like you descript i am very happy to use it. That would improve the combat of Rimworld at about 2-3 level classes.

It is boring when you got all this nice tools for combat to defeat the enemy without problems.

Zxypher

Oh man I've wanted a good magic mod for Rimworld for so long! This is amazing. Any chance we could get another universal skill like Clarity for reducing cooldowns? I would like to be able to shoot more lightning bolts pew pew.

Awesome work!

Torann

Just pushed out the latest version: v.1.7.0

• Mod settings are now included to allow adjustment of several of the mod features such as mana regeneration and how quickly mages gain xp from using spells.

• AI can now cast spells. 
    There are several options for AI casting.  It can be disabled entirely in the mod settings, or you can pick the challenging route and turn on AI casting hard mode.

• To support AI casting, all mod traits can occur at random on pawns.  These pawns will come equipped with the full spell complement for their class.  If AI casting is turned on, AI mages will occasionally cast a retaliation spell before they die or are downed rather than allowing themselves to be captured.  On hard mode, they will always do this.

• The Arcane mage spell, summon, now instantly moves the target for both pawns and objects.

• Some trait names and scroll descriptions have been adjusted for clarity

• New stand-alone spell: Mana Shield - allows mages to create a health buffer at the cost of their mana pool.  Use of the spell while mana shield is active will disable the spell as will taking damage in excess of what can be absorbed by mana.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Torann on January 13, 2018, 03:50:27 PM
Just pushed out the latest version: v.1.7.0

• Mod settings are now included to allow adjustment of several of the mod features such as mana regeneration and how quickly mages gain xp from using spells.

• AI can now cast spells. 
    There are several options for AI casting.  It can be disabled entirely in the mod settings, or you can pick the challenging route and turn on AI casting hard mode.

• To support AI casting, all mod traits can occur at random on pawns.  These pawns will come equipped with the full spell complement for their class.  If AI casting is turned on, AI mages will occasionally cast a retaliation spell before they die or are downed rather than allowing themselves to be captured.  On hard mode, they will always do this.

• The Arcane mage spell, summon, now instantly moves the target for both pawns and objects.

• Some trait names and scroll descriptions have been adjusted for clarity

• New stand-alone spell: Mana Shield - allows mages to create a health buffer at the cost of their mana pool.  Use of the spell while mana shield is active will disable the spell as will taking damage in excess of what can be absorbed by mana.

*jaw drops*

Toketsu

Good job on the update, will check it out when i have the time.

A suggestion i'd like to mention to see if it's possible to be added, while i still work on my next suggestion batch:

There's this game called Tales of Maj'Eyal, where there are 'sustained' skills and spells. These work in a way that, when you activate them, they work like passive skills, but will drain a certain amount of max mana. An example:

Glide (sustained) (unnatributed/scroll)
While active, this spell grants +20% movement speed. 10% mana to sustain.

This means that when cast, this skill will grant +20% movement speed, and reduce max mana from 100% to 90%. Disabling the skill returns mana to 100%, and incurs a cooldown on the skill.

This goes for stamina too. I personally think it would be a neat addition if possible to be done and not too hard.

As for the next ideas batch, it will primarily focus on an overall idea of bosses, as well as a few examples, including drops, skills and such. Should be up within a week (somewhat busy right now, hence why it's taking a while).

Sarge

Dayhum that's a sweet update. I'm getting right back in the saddle with this mod. Shit's gonna be awesome.