[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChJees

After playing with this mod for a while i gotta say the Arcane magician is the best.
Great for rescuing pawns and boosting overall productiveness. (The Magic Missile spell is useless though, would like it replaced for something else :P.)

Would be lovely if there was a "Alchemist\Artificer" class at some point. Would not necessarily have any offensive and defensive abilities on their own but would have the ability to craft Wondrous Items. Like a super crafter. Maybe in conjuction with the Infused mod from NotFood there would be additional chances to infuse the item.

Canute

Yep i like the Arcanist too.
But more for the teleport spell :-) Ok the other spells are very useful too, and the magic missile if you level it up is good against Centipeds because of the confusion.
Summoner is very handy too, minions that haul for you, elementals to fight and act as target dummies.

About these "Alchemist\Artificer", would be nice if he could enchant item like the Infused mod. 5 level of the skills, 1-4 how strong the random effect are, and the 5. let you pick a special infusion.

Edit:
Ohh i just notice, when you deconstruct the portal you gain Mana potion.
But the non-existent portal still explode.

Toketsu

Quote from: Canute on January 19, 2018, 02:40:29 AM
Toketsu,
i think you got the same error i encounter too.
Do you got yellow warning about teleport when you start the game ?
Could you please use Share log button and post the link, i want compare the mods that follow TMagic.

Move TMagic at the end of the modlist that solved the issue for me at last.
No idea, i get like over 500 errors when i load the game (none which actually cause issues as far as i know), and the mod is already at the bottom of the list.

Jimmy P

Cheers for this mod, perfect for that Fantasy Rimworld experience!

I've just had my necromancer create his first undead from a corpse (The corpse of an orc from the orc invasion mod, I suppose that might matter) and this zombie defies all the laws of necromancy; he does social and caring tasks (despite being marked as not being capable) and whenever he hits 52% rest, he drops back down to 50% rest and essentially will sleep forever if I don't draft him to wake him up now and then

HerrColonel

I LOVE the arcane mage. I think the arcane projectile is good. With the sheer amount of projectiles the dmgs are actually quite good like a LMG. It's a great assassination skill. But I also had issues with teleport (not the blink the actual portal teleport). I tried using it when I had a quest to move around. It did not display fail or succes over the caster's head. It played a sound, but no portal appeared.

Here's the logs (Magic mod was loaded last).
https://gist.github.com/c8c125aeccba4f0d2dfcbb5f46a363a6

What I did before sharing the logs:

• load my game (mods are listed)
  • draft arcanist and bring outside
  • cast teleport

Torann

Quote from: ChJees on January 19, 2018, 05:22:41 AM
After playing with this mod for a while i gotta say the Arcane magician is the best.
Great for rescuing pawns and boosting overall productiveness. (The Magic Missile spell is useless though, would like it replaced for something else :P.)

Would be lovely if there was a "Alchemist\Artificer" class at some point. Would not necessarily have any offensive and defensive abilities on their own but would have the ability to craft Wondrous Items. Like a super crafter. Maybe in conjuction with the Infused mod from NotFood there would be additional chances to infuse the item.
As for magic missile, I have to disagree, I think it's probably one of the strongest spells in terms of direct power.  It's the only DD spell the Arcanist gets, but at max level it can stream 38 projectiles, dealing ~7 damage each which can result in over 250 damage.  That easily puts it in line with the top tier weapon systems.  To add to its power, it has a chance to confuse, the duration is extremely short, so if it triggers once or twice it's more like an interrupt, but it can stack, so at higher levels it can confuse an enemy for 5-10 seconds.
Biggest drawback it has is that it is heavily dependent on the shooting accuracy of the mage, so if you have a terrible shooter / poor eyes, you can miss a lot, especially at longer ranges, making the spell lose a lot of its effectiveness.

You described the design plan for items/artifacts almost precisely!

Quote from: Toketsu on January 18, 2018, 05:32:03 PM
Bosses

Edit: I can't seem to be able to level up Phase Strike's skills, other than the main one.

Error i get when i try to use Teleport spell:
Bosses are definitely planned, along with some other events that will be centered around magic and the Arcane Fold faction.  I think most of these you came up with!
A few on my list:
Rogue elemental portal: a portal has opened on the map and will spawn hostile elementals until the portal is closed.  Will be guarded by a group of elementals and will periodically spawn small groups of elementals to assault the colony until the portal is destroyed.
Arcane Bandits - a small group of mages assault the colony in the attempt to make out with magical artifacts - will have a high concentration of magic users and will fight ferociously
Wandering necromancer - a necromancer enters the map with a group of undead and will prioritize moving about the map raising corpses as minions.  After awhile, the necromancer will either leave or turn hostile and attack the colony.
Reintroduction of the Arcane Tower: An arch-mage makes themself known to the colony by declaring a specific mage to be in violation of using unsanctioned magic.  The colony will have the option of sending the mage to the tower for 'training' or to defy the declaration and keep the mage.  If the player decides to follow the rules and sends the mage away, the pawn will leave the colony.  The arcane tower will remain on the map and may continue making demands of any new mages the colony has.  If the player chooses to defy the arch-mage, then the tower will periodically send raiding parties and will call down powerful spells on the colony (such as firestorm, lightning storm, and blizzard at random points in the home area).  The tower and residing arch-mage will, of course, be attackable.

I don't know if any of those fit in with the "Boss" concept, but Ive been thinking about introducing a new pawn type that excels at magic.  I want to call this creature an "Overlord" and will have improved capacities, health, etc... maybe even unique spells.  Definitely fits in with a boss type though.

As far as those errors, I just double checked and had no issues leveling up the bladedancer skills.  Dimension blade has a bug in the 1.7.1 version that doesn't allow it to be leveled past 1/3, but that's been corrected in the working version and will be fixed next update.  Also, no issues with teleport...

I've implemented and have been testing some exception handling for various skills (blink, teleport, summons, phase strike) that seem to have some unexplained errors I haven't been able to track down (mostly because I can consistently recreate the error).  That being said, the exception handling will restore the ability user to a safe state and restore mana/stamina.

Quote from: Jimmy P on January 19, 2018, 08:58:58 AM
Cheers for this mod, perfect for that Fantasy Rimworld experience!

I've just had my necromancer create his first undead from a corpse (The corpse of an orc from the orc invasion mod, I suppose that might matter) and this zombie defies all the laws of necromancy; he does social and caring tasks (despite being marked as not being capable) and whenever he hits 52% rest, he drops back down to 50% rest and essentially will sleep forever if I don't draft him to wake him up now and then
Thanks for the note, if the undead pawn is directed to sleep during specific hours, they'll still go to sleep.  I was not aware they'd stay asleep however, but that makes sense.  If you set them to never sleep, that should resolve them ever trying.  An undead refinement update is planned and hopefully I can make the undead behave and interact in a more expected manner.

Torann

Quote from: HerrColonel on January 19, 2018, 12:32:22 PM
Here's the logs (Magic mod was loaded last).
I noticed that under the TMagic mod it has Jecstools 1.0.6.1.  Jecstools dll shouldn't exist under my mod, so you might check your TMagic mod folder and make sure there is no lingering 0Jecstools.dll or Jecstools.dll along with the TorannMagic.dll, if there is, delete it so that the jecstools version you have loaded first won't be overwritten.
Also, I think jecstools is on version 1.0.8.6, though I  only use a sub-class which is AbilityUser and AbilityUserAI, so that might not matter.

HerrColonel

You were right I found a JecsTools.dll in \TMagic\Assemblies. I deleted it and reloaded my game. So it should take into account my JecsTools version loaded before (it's 1.0.8.6). But the same error still occurs an the portal doesn't open. Just in case, here's the logs again:
https://gist.github.com/01736220f786363f4d7197109f67b542

I appreciate your fast answer on my issue

Toketsu

Quote from: Torann on January 19, 2018, 01:16:27 PM
Reintroduction of the Arcane Tower: An arch-mage makes themself known to the colony by declaring a specific mage to be in violation of using unsanctioned magic.  The colony will have the option of sending the mage to the tower for 'training' or to defy the declaration and keep the mage.  If the player decides to follow the rules and sends the mage away, the pawn will leave the colony.  The arcane tower will remain on the map and may continue making demands of any new mages the colony has.  If the player chooses to defy the arch-mage, then the tower will periodically send raiding parties and will call down powerful spells on the colony (such as firestorm, lightning storm, and blizzard at random points in the home area).  The tower and residing arch-mage will, of course, be attackable.
This sounds quite interesting o-o

Quote from: Torann on January 19, 2018, 01:16:27 PM
I don't know if any of those fit in with the "Boss" concept, but Ive been thinking about introducing a new pawn type that excels at magic.  I want to call this creature an "Overlord" and will have improved capacities, health, etc... maybe even unique spells.  Definitely fits in with a boss type though.
Considering the name, it could have Mind spells, inducing mental breaks, mind control, map-wide mood debuffs, etc.

Jimmy P

I reanimated a fire mage and he is trying to do medical jobs. Throws this error:

Attempted to calculate value for disabled stat MedicalTendSpeed; this is meant as a consistency check, either set the stat to neverDisabled or ensure this pawn cannot accidentally use this stat (thing=Stove)
Verse.Log:Error(String)
Verse.Log:ErrorOnce(String, Int32)
RimWorld.StatWorker:GetValueUnfinalized(StatRequest, Boolean)
RimWorld.StatWorker:GetValue(StatRequest, Boolean)
RimWorld.StatWorker:GetValue(Thing, Boolean)
RimWorld.StatExtension:GetStatValue_Patch1(Thing, StatDef, Boolean)
RimWorld.<MakeNewToils>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
Verse.AI.JobDriver:SetupToils()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartJob(Job, JobCondition, ThinkNode, Boolean, Boolean, ThinkTreeDef, Nullable`1, Boolean)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:TryFindAndStartJob()
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:EndCurrentJob(JobCondition, Boolean)
RimWorld.Pawn_DraftController:set_Drafted_Patch2(Object, Boolean)
RimWorld.<GetGizmos>c__Iterator0:<>m__0()
Verse.Command_Toggle:ProcessInput(Event)
Verse.GizmoGridDrawer:DrawGizmoGrid(IEnumerable`1, Single, Gizmo&)
RimWorld.InspectGizmoGrid:DrawInspectGizmoGridFor(IEnumerable`1)
RimWorld.MainTabWindow_Inspect:DrawInspectGizmos()
RimWorld.InspectPaneUtility:ExtraOnGUI(IInspectPane)
RimWorld.MainTabWindow_Inspect:ExtraOnGUI_Patch1(Object)
Verse.WindowStack:WindowStackOnGUI()
RimWorld.UIRoot_Play:UIRootOnGUI()
Verse.Root:OnGUI()

tmo97

I've done like 10 playthroughs and I still haven't seen a single spell or mana bar yet.
From what I've experienced, this mod was made by that kind of person who gets to late-game without trouble, or by someone who thinks money makes magic.

By the time I have enough money, a magically gifted pawn, the necessary scrolls, I'm already way too much invested in electricity and stuff just to keep myself alive to see the magic.
Then the pawn dies because of a squirrel and all the money, effort and time is wasted.

Fix your fucking mod, this is bad.
p.s. idgaf whether any of you think this is presumptuous

HerrColonel

Quote from: tmo97 on January 19, 2018, 06:14:03 PM
I've done like 10 playthroughs and I still haven't seen a single spell or mana bar yet.
From what I've experienced, this mod was made by that kind of person who gets to late-game without trouble, or by someone who thinks money makes magic.

By the time I have enough money, a magically gifted pawn, the necessary scrolls, I'm already way too much invested in electricity and stuff just to keep myself alive to see the magic.
Then the pawn dies because of a squirrel and all the money, effort and time is wasted.

p.s. idgaf whether any of you think this is presumptuous
In my first magic playthrought the first trader caravan I ever encountered had scrolls to sell. It was waaay before I was able to buy any. Magic pawns are super rare though, but that's because of how random traits are. I started with pawns made with prepare carefully, but I also encountered a "fleeing princess" event where the pawn I rescued was actually a gladiator!

Mikuno

Quote from: tmo97 on January 19, 2018, 06:14:03 PM
If you are unable to deal with enemy spellcasting, then there is a button in mod settings to turn it off.
You can just start with someone who is already a mage if you feel that it takes you too long to get to the tomes. You can also capture additional mages from pod crashes or raids.
Also BYOG instead of blaming the mod creator.

Toketsu

The TMagic errors i get when i load the game:

If you need the detailed info from them, just say.

Canute

I got these errors too, but once i moved TMagic at the end of the modlist they didn't appear anymore.
But didn't helped at your case you said.
When did you update jecstools the last time ?