[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry_Dicks

I 3/4 like the idea, Billyma6.

That's because I usually don't pay much attention to my gears durability, it usually isn't too important to me, especially with Mending.

Personally, I think it would be more fun if the infusion did something else to the weapons/gear, maybe have special effects.

For example, maybe the ice mage gets a type of "ice barrier" so that any melee attackers get chilled/slowed down, or maybe the fire mage can put a ring of fire around an ally, or make their weapons now set enemies on fire.

I think active affects and spells are a bit cooler than something like not having to worry about durability for a few minutes. My 2 cents :)

Canute

Yep, some kind of aura's you can toggle on/off.
And when they are on they lower magic regeneration by 50%

henk

Lowered or removed item degradation would be a great addition to some otherwise bland physical classes. Taking care of their gear is what fighters do, and you could even add "doesn't drop weapon when downed" for extra reliability.

Canute

Or maybe some kind of summoned magic weapon.
Vanish on drop, but could be summoned anytime.
But how this would work well with simple Sidearms ? :-)
Or just enhance the unarmed damage like power arms do.

Harry_Dicks

I think at most for any sort of "durability skills/spells" it could maybe just be a universal skill that any physical fighter could pick up. The tiers could be something like, "lowers degradation of equipped items by 25%/50%/75%/100%". Honestly, it just really doesn't sound like it is that exciting of an ability to me, compared to if that same amount of work were to be put into something interesting that has different effects.

Not meant to bash the idea, just how I feel about it ;)

billyma6

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 23, 2018, 11:29:33 AM
it could maybe just be a universal skill that any physical fighter could pick up. The tiers could be something like, "lowers degradation of equipped items by 25%/50%/75%/100%".
True, it would probably be better if it was a universal skill for anyone to pick up, but it's just a little side thing, not meant to be game-changing or whatever. It's only for if someone doesn't want to remake that armor every time it breaks or, in the case of the Mending mod, unequip it, haul it, and then mend it every time it gets damaged.

Also I'm not totally sure anyone saw my previous suggestion, but it was something like a spell for either Water or Fire that instead of making it rain like the water mages' Rainmaker, stops it/makes it clear.

HerrColonel

Here is a minor QoL suggestion:

I find myself using the magical heaters a lot (it's -50°C half of the year on this map so it helps my power a lot lol) but I have to manually uncheck "Use as a gather spot". Is it possible to make them spawn disabled by default?

Coolphoton

As a QoL suggestion, is it possible to make the heaters and coolers sustained instead of fire and forget? Maybe as a second spell so you could have both or something. its just i tend to lose them right after a big fight or something and several times I've had people die from heatstroke because of a heatwave that happens close to a raid

Torann

Quote from: HerrColonel on February 26, 2018, 12:35:10 PM
Here is a minor QoL suggestion:

I find myself using the magical heaters a lot (it's -50°C half of the year on this map so it helps my power a lot lol) but I have to manually uncheck "Use as a gather spot". Is it possible to make them spawn disabled by default?
I think the magical heater works more like a standard heater and less like a fire so I think this is a fine option for default and I'll look at changing it.

Quote from: Coolphoton on February 26, 2018, 06:45:50 PM
As a QoL suggestion, is it possible to make the heaters and coolers sustained instead of fire and forget? Maybe as a second spell so you could have both or something. its just i tend to lose them right after a big fight or something and several times I've had people die from heatstroke because of a heatwave that happens close to a raid
Not quite sure what you mean 'sustained' instead of 'fire and forget', do you mean they incur a constant mana drain while active instead of an "up front" cost?  These currently last for about half a season and should help get through the worst temperatures (or save food in an eclipse or power loss).  But a complete reliance on magic is intentionally risky - you can use buffs and utility spells to help develop the colony, or save it for a raid that may not happen.  That balance of risk vs reward is what causes the player to deliberate when and where to use magic and is exactly what I'm shooting for  ;)

Coolphoton

I meant as a semi-permanent spell with a persistent mana cost like the Necros undead. And thanks for explaining your risk/reward goal.
As an aside, dose anyone know how ranger and sniper interact with non vanilla weapons? For example is an arbalest from Medieval Times gonna work for snipers now that there is a restriction on sniper weapons?

Torann

Quote from: Coolphoton on February 26, 2018, 09:08:47 PM
I meant as a semi-permanent spell with a persistent mana cost like the Necros undead. And thanks for explaining your risk/reward goal.
As an aside, dose anyone know how ranger and sniper interact with non vanilla weapons? For example is an arbalest from Medieval Times gonna work for snipers now that there is a restriction on sniper weapons?
Sniper weapons can't be tagged as neolithic.  That's pretty much it, so if the Arbalest for Medieval Times uses other tags, or no tags, then a sniper would be able to use it.
Rangers have quite a few filters - if the name of the weapon has "bow" in it, or if it shoots arrows, or does damage of type arrow, it's considered a bow and can be used by a ranger.  If the arbalest shoots something like a "bolt" and uses a custom defined damage type, then it won't match any of those criteria and wouldn't be considered a bow.
Both classes will tell you if the weapon doesn't meets the criteria if you try using weapon specific abilities (arrow storm for ranger and any of the shots for sniper).  If you can use arrow storm, the bow mastery buff should also apply.

Torann

Happy to announce the latest update: v1.9.0

• The Magical Enchanting feature has been introduced.  Enchanting offers mages the ability to further refine and empower any piece of equipment. To get started, you can find the research options under the "Magic" research tab.  There is also an in-depth tutorial in the in-game tutor menu that will guide you through the process.

• Several new mod options have been added for further tailoring of AI abilities and game features.

• Summoned creatures and structures have been reworked to increase the reliability of their intended behavior and improve functionality.  Existing summons will be unaffected.

• Undead mental states and resistances to human weaknesses has been increased and these anomalies should no longer affect their behavior.

Harry_Dicks

Wow this sounds great! Are the magical enchantments similar to the buffs you would receive from the mod Infusion, if you are familiar with it?

Torann

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 27, 2018, 07:44:14 AM
Wow this sounds great! Are the magical enchantments similar to the buffs you would receive from the mod Infusion, if you are familiar with it?
No, enchantments do not apply any benefits to standard capacities.  After discussing with notfood (author of Infused), I ended up taking another approach to enchantments than the one Infused uses with equipment.  Enchantments only affect magical stats at this time - cast speed, ability cooldowns, max mp, mana regen, and mana cost.  More will be added in the future, like spell damage and magic resistances.

Harry_Dicks

Dude, that sounds awesome! Personally, I was not a fan of the final product of the mod Infusion. I didn't like how the cost of equipment didn't reflect any enchantments it might have. Also, I like that some of the things that you mentioned that get enchanted sound like they are a lot more interesting that a simple +X armor, +Y damage.

New random idea: You could have a few "ultimate" type of weapons for classes that could unlock new abilities, or alter the classes abilities in new and interesting ways? Here are a few examples, along with how I think it could possibly help differentiate pawns of the same class. So if you have 2 fire mages for example, they won't have to be exact copies of each other.

I am still a fan of having different "builds" with the skills and abilities you pick for your magic users, with the limitation that no magic user can have 100% of all of the abilities available to them learned. Or, if the mage/fighter can eventually unlock everything (whether these are class skills and/or universal skills), make it so that unlocks for new abilities past what a normal mage/fighter would have (quantity and quality wise, aka the total repertoire that the pawn has available and unlocked so far) that each new spell/ability/skill takes considerably longer or a higher investment to unlock.

This could encourage the player to make any of their mages and fighters be more specialized if they want to have the higher level abilities available earlier for their pawns. Where as if they were to make this fighter a "jack of all trades" with as many different abilities unlocked as possible, then these abilities should be limited to lower levels and/or the pawn will not have enough "unlocks/skill points" available to unlock the higher, master level abilities. Or if they do want to still have these master abilities in addition to a crap ton of lower level abilities, make it so that this will take a considerable investment of exp or whatever is needed to level these particular traits.

Anyway, I was thinking about the ranger for example, and I'm not sure if I had said anything similar before. Let's say there is an ultimate bow for the ranger, which will now make it so that every time the ranger uses their weapon, they now shoot two or three arrows instead of one. Maybe this could be an enchantment to put on a bow? Maybe this could be a very high level enchantment, or super rare, or requires a very rare scroll that is 1 time use? Maybe these scrolls could be tiered, or it will have a random chance for whatever tier of this enchantment it will put on the bow. For example, if you enchant the bow, it could make it now shoot anywhere from 2-5 arrows per shot. Or maybe you only have enchantments that only add in 1 arrow at a time, but they can stack. So the player can keep adding onto the same weapons over time, making them feel attached to specific items and feel like they have a real investment in them. The bow slowly goes from shooting 1 arrow at a time, to two, then three, four, etc. as the player slowly acquires more of these enchantment scrolls, or slowly increases the skill level of their enchanter, or whatever.

Honestly, I have no idea how you have implemented the enchanting in game yet, as I haven't had a chance to check it out. I just wanted to throw out some fun ideas that were popping into my head, and how it could relate back to your unique classes.

I think you could do all sorts of other fun stuff for the fighters weapons too, and honestly I think if you expanded on an aspect of the mod in such ways, that you can make the fighters just as interesting as the mages, with special abilities granted to them via enchanted gear. Not that they are boring now, but personally, I would  always take a mage over a fighter, they just seem that much cooler to me.

Anyone familiar with D2/D3 and remember how all these awesome unique effects your guys could be granted by wearing specific gear. Some stuff could be class specific, and some stuff will be generic. For example you could have a special piece of chest armor (or an enchantment that you put on it) that will allow pawns to now blink once every X seconds to Y cells away. Or now they get a sort of "shield belt" buff that they can activate whenever they want, but it has a long cooldown, whatever.

I'm not sure if you plan to take the enchantments in any of these directions Torann, but if you are, I think it could be really, really awesome. It's a lot of fun just spitballing all of these ideas of the different ways you could take this.

Also, does enchanting come from a pawn, random scrolls, buyable or producable scrolls, is there any chance involved in anything, can enchantments stacks or overwrite each other, can things be enchanted multiple times, what are the (if any) limitations behind enchanting? Could you elaborate in anyway how this system works, please? Thanks! :)