[B19] Wild Animal Sex 3.2 - Now it just feels... natural....~

Started by WalkingProblem, December 07, 2017, 02:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Yeap that one.

I found Spiders as some of the nicest hunting animals of all.
The spiderqueen is terrifying though.
Create a Stockpile for Cocoons only and start collecting them there.
After a while the wild Spiders will adopt the location as well.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Madman666 on December 22, 2017, 03:14:16 PM
Hey I've got a question for you. Do animals still leave the map in winter when it gets cold enough? Because you know, most predators still stay. And thats where that triple hunger and double spawn rate can get incredibly deadly for you colonists.

Also I really damn like the idea of an event that spawns a wolf pack or some cougars, panthers etc. Especially if you can make it work sorta like hidden "firewatcher" works in RW - it starts a rain if there is too much fire on the map. So if there is too many herbivores - it'd send a pack of wolves to balance it out. Something like that, eh? If theres an event of a herd migration for herbivores, there definitely should be something similar for predators.

Yes, in fact, predators leaves the map when its too cold for them too.

I actually prefers no one leaves the map.... and all die in the cold... (or they hide somewhere and hibernate) =x

Quote from: Canute on December 22, 2017, 03:35:06 PM
Maybe the incidents checks what animal got the most amount a create a special animal hunt pack.
At example the map got overpopulated with squirel/hare  the event will spawn just the proper small predator animal like fox.
More critical it would be for larger animal, then you need bigger predators but these will hunt more or less anything.
I don't think you can force predator just to hunt a special kind of animals.

hmm...   could be possible~ (referring to spawning predators when overpopulation)

Madman666

Quote from: Walking Problem on December 22, 2017, 04:20:51 PM
Yes, in fact, predators leaves the map when its too cold for them too.

I actually prefers no one leaves the map.... and all die in the cold... (or they hide somewhere and hibernate) =x

Well, damn. I usually play on 30\30 grow seasons with down to -10 degrees C in winter. All herbivores leave, but wolves, foxes, bear, all that stuff stays and always ends up hunting my colonists. Now double that for predator spawns and triple for frequency of something hunting my guys, because of hunger issues... Winter will become a season of staying home, because of so many hungry crap that wants to eat you... I am a bit worried about that. A tinsy bit.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Madman666 on December 22, 2017, 04:54:46 PM
Well, damn. I usually play on 30\30 grow seasons with down to -10 degrees C in winter. All herbivores leave, but wolves, foxes, bear, all that stuff stays and always ends up hunting my colonists. Now double that for predator spawns and triple for frequency of something hunting my guys, because of hunger issues... Winter will become a season of staying home, because of so many hungry crap that wants to eat you... I am a bit worried about that. A tinsy bit.

I think the fix should be leaving the rabbits behind in winter.

Because rabbits do able to survive winter (and they do not do migrations)

----

On the sidenote: I just created the codes to calculate if there is an overpopulation, and if so, spawn predators (between 3 - 6 of them).

I also ensured that I do not spoil the "fun" of having over-population from wild animals breeding - so I do set the "limit" on the higher side.

I'm currently doing final tweaks to ensure that the "population" is in relation to the map size.

Do you guys think I should add a "warning" (like threats type) - telling the player that, the over-population of prey is attracting more predators into the region?

Madman666

Quote from: Walking Problem on December 22, 2017, 06:14:32 PM
Do you guys think I should add a "warning" (like threats type) - telling the player that, the over-population of prey is attracting more predators into the region?

That would be nice to have I guess) Also having some herbivore stay to feed that ever-hungry predator cleaning-army should solve it somewhat.

kosh401

A "warning" type of notice would be neat so long as it doesn't end up being spammed from overpopulation.

Glad to hear you're working on balancing up the overpopulation a bit; I'm hitting the point in my game where I'm debating keeping this on or not due to the out of control population.. the Boomalopes in particular are a problem. I keep having to send out drafted kill squads to thin their numbers since pawns are too dumb to "hunt" them safely (fire) and the predators don't bother either of course.

Anyway, really like the mod and looking forward to your tweaks. Cheers

wwWraith

Quote from: Walking Problem on December 22, 2017, 06:14:32 PM
I also ensured that I do not spoil the "fun" of having over-population from wild animals breeding - so I do set the "limit" on the higher side.
Please at least make this limit configurable :)
Think about it. Think around it. Perhaps you'll get some new good idea even if it would be completely different from my words.

Madman666

Ok, one more question I didn't have the brains to ask earlier... Triple hunger - does it affect all predators including colony tamed ones? I do like to use wolves as haulers and hunters. But if their hunger rate is triples... That becomes kinda costly.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Madman666 on December 22, 2017, 06:19:47 PM
That would be nice to have I guess) Also having some herbivore stay to feed that ever-hungry predator cleaning-army should solve it somewhat.

But when winter comes..... most animals will be gone.  Leaving predators and muffalos. Unless, I tweak the hares to stay. (hares should not migrate. hares do not migrate - they are hibernate-type)

Quote from: kosh401 on December 22, 2017, 06:25:23 PM
A "warning" type of notice would be neat so long as it doesn't end up being spammed from overpopulation.

Glad to hear you're working on balancing up the overpopulation a bit; I'm hitting the point in my game where I'm debating keeping this on or not due to the out of control population.. the Boomalopes in particular are a problem. I keep having to send out drafted kill squads to thin their numbers since pawns are too dumb to "hunt" them safely (fire) and the predators don't bother either of course.

How long did you play before wild animal population becomes a problem?

Quote from: wwWraith on December 22, 2017, 06:54:33 PM
Please at least make this limit configurable :)

Not possible. I havent learnt how to use/code HugsLib.

Quote from: Madman666 on December 22, 2017, 06:56:20 PM
Ok, one more question I didn't have the brains to ask earlier... Triple hunger - does it affect all predators including colony tamed ones? I do like to use wolves as haulers and hunters. But if their hunger rate is triples... That becomes kinda costly.

Yes, so what I'm thinking now is, if I should spawn more predators when the limit is hit (and remove the increased hunger).

The hunger rate now applies to the creature, regardless its wild or tamed. 

----

On the coding side, the current setting is an "incident" - although I still thinking how to make this work correctly (because as an incident - it might not trigger)

Madman666

Well, that blows big time... Because I use a lot of wolves and with triple the needed food I'll just run out of business  in seconds. If huskies are considered predators too - that means I can't really use them either If I don't want to have all my colonists becoming full-time hunters and nothing else :( Damn, that won't do at all. Can you write an exception for colony related animals to not have hunger rate tripled? Otherwise this'll pretty much make animal hauling 3 times as costly without any returns. If that can't be done, then there need to be some other way than upping the hunger rate. I reeeally don't wanna give up on dog-wolf hauling squads, its too good to lose.

WalkingProblem

Quote from: Madman666 on December 22, 2017, 07:52:18 PM
Well, that blows big time... Because I use a lot of wolves and with triple the needed food I'll just run out of business  in seconds. If huskies are considered predators too - that means I can't really use them either If I don't want to have all my colonists becoming full-time hunters and nothing else :( Damn, that won't do at all. Can you write an exception for colony related animals to not have hunger rate tripled? Otherwise this'll pretty much make animal hauling 3 times as costly without any returns. If that can't be done, then there need to be some other way than upping the hunger rate. I reeeally don't wanna give up on dog-wolf hauling squads, its too good to lose.

Once I can trigger predators spawn more, I wont need to increase their hunger rate anymore. =}

Madman666

kosh401

Quote from: Walking Problem on December 22, 2017, 07:42:02 PM

Quote from: kosh401 on December 22, 2017, 06:25:23 PM

How long did you play before wild animal population becomes a problem?

I'm in Decembary 5501 on year-round Jungle. Mostly it's just the Boomalopes since there's no predator or pawn hunting for them. Only option is draft a kill squad and manually do it, which gets tedious. Funny enough I'm kind of hoping for some good old fashion Toxic Fallout to purge the land of them now.

SpaceDorf

Rain is your best friend there.

As soon as it starts pouring down draft your squad annihilate them
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Madman666

I kind of think there needs to be something other than player controlled purge squads to keep boomrats and boomalopes in check. I don't play jungle much already, because of animal overload and with unchecked population boom jungle maps might become just nigh-unplayable without regular execution runs which gets old fast.